Electrical/Heater question

RyonFly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I checked my sump area and noticed my inkbird controller display wasn't on, checked the power strip (American DJ) and the switch was on, but no power to the inkbird or heater. Tried to unplug it and it was pretty stuck, when I finally got it out I noticed some melted plastic around the prong. The power strip is plugged into a GFI outlet, everything else was running fine. I plugged the inkbird directly into the GFI and it powered up as well as my heater, checked again this AM and everything was working and tank up to temp. I think at point my ATO was low and ran my sump down enough for the heater to go dry for a little while because I noticed the suction cup mounts were melted. My question is why would it cause the plug to melt the inside of the my strip outlet and also not trip the outlet? The heater is a BRS titanium 300w. Other than that one strip outlet being out of service now, should I be worried about anything since it seems everything is working as it should now?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFI trips on an electrical fault to ground. What you had sounds like a poor connection in the outlet which started heating and failed after it melted. I would make sure the prongs on the Inkbird aren't corroded and clean them if they are.

With glass heaters I always replace them if they get that hot. The seals fail and they get water inside usually.
I am not familiar with the one you have though.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back