Electricity

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just kind of a random question here, but I was doing research and one of the things that caught my attention was stray voltage electricity and electricity in general in the water can it affect fish, corals and vertebrates?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just kind of a random question here, but I was doing research and one of the things that caught my attention was stray voltage electricity and electricity in general in the water can it affect fish, corals and vertebrates?
The only way there will be any effect on any animals in the tank is if you have an electrically leaky device, which would also pose a hazard to you.

In most cases any measured voltage is simply inductively coupled and is incapable of supplying sufficient current to have any effect on any tank animals.

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way there will be any effect on any animals in the tank is if you have an electrically leaky device, which would also pose a hazard to you.

In most cases any measured voltage is simply inductively coupled and is incapable of supplying sufficient current to have any effect on any tank animals.
What is a leaky device and how could it affect me?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Stray voltage while seldom will send a tinging effect when your hands touch the water as you are grounded and fish and coral are not. Often stray voltage is blamed for fish death and is often not the case as is HLLE. When you feel that zapping/tingly effect, you want to start with pumps- unplug all of them and plug one in at a time until you feel it - that last component is likely your culprit.
Often what leaks through insulation and housing are return pumps, powerheads and heaters, and often a pump housing or heater develop a crack or a seal leaks and there is energized copper touching the water. Although this is an alternative and not a solution- Always use a ground probe in your tank or sump

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A leaky device could be anything from a wave maker to a powerhead, skimmer even a heater.
It could be as simple as a frayed wire contacting the water to an internal pump which has blown a seal or has gone bad.
Saltwater is a great conductor and you will feel it.
Some are greatly concerned with it affecting the fish but honestly the fish are not grounded. I run a ground probe-always. For me,specifically.
I've only had it happen once and that was when I dropped a light fixture in the tank and had to go get it while it was on.
I've been shocked so many times it didn't mean much but I could feel it.
Ground probes are cheap and are often sold in pairs.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it last till tomorrow afternoon or do I have to run out to the store tonight?

And I’m not sure if I do have a problem, but came across my mind this weekend when I passed out and had to go to the hospital a few people mentioned electrical current but at the moment I’m more worried about the fish tank. :) :(

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the deal with passing out if you don't mind my asking?
Will it last till tomorrow afternoon or do I have to run out to the store tonight?

And I’m not sure if I do have a problem, but came across my mind this weekend when I passed out and had to go to the hospital a few people mentioned electrical current but at the moment I’m more worried about the fish tank. :) :(

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the deal with passing out if you don't mind my asking?
Not quite sure I was doing the water change and all the sudden passed out. I became rigid tightly, grabbing my stepstool and tensing up a lot. My parents put me on the couch and called 911 and they gave me fluids and told me not quite sure could be dehydration. I’m not really sure that’s why I’m doing research. If it was or if it is an electrical current, I’m more worried about the fish and the coals. Because I can just not touch the water, but the corals and fish Cannot just not touch water, so I’m concerned if this is the case.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it also affect fishes, energy, and how much they eat?
I’m not sure about inverts and corals (though I imagine they’d be fine, since I haven’t heard of them dying from electricity even in tanks where there was stray voltage in the water), but electricity shouldn’t impact your fish at all:
Stray voltage is a red herring, an actual short circuit can be dangerous for you, but this induced voltage can be found in most aquariums at various levels. The fish are not grounded so there is no potential. Same reason birds can perch on high tension lines.

Jay

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite sure I was doing the water change and all the sudden passed out. I became rigid tightly, grabbing my stepstool and tensing up a lot. My parents put me on the couch and called 911 and they gave me fluids and told me not quite sure could be dehydration. I’m not really sure that’s why I’m doing research. If it was or if it is an electrical current, I’m more worried about the fish and the coals. Because I can just not touch the water, but the corals and fish Cannot just not touch water, so I’m concerned if this is the case.
Well goodness that sounds scary.
So yeah should be OK till tomorrow but be careful around the tank I guess.
I've been shocked pretty bad. Felt it down into my legs but didn't pass out.
Don't worry about the fish just take care of yourself.
If you have someone to help you get a multimeter and see if you've got any stray voltage.
Lots of threads on here about how to do it.
Best way is turn everything off and then turn one thing on at a time-you'll find it then.
Take care dude sounds traumatic hopefully just dehydration.
Joel

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is your aquarium equipment attached to a ground fault interrupt circuit? If not, it should be. In the US, public aquariums all must have their aquarium equipment (and all wet location equipment) powered by a source that is GFI protected.

When I was younger, I got zapped by a tank that had a defective heater in it (and this was before GFIs were used). I was standing on a chair and it blew my back onto my bed - I had no problem knowing that I had just been shocked!

"Stray voltage", usually induced voltage will NOT cause the fish any issues due to them not being grounded. This is the same thing that allows birds to perch on high tension power lines without being shocked. If you tank has an actual electrical short, then electrolysis can occur and that can cause problems with the fish.

You can measure this by using a voltmeter, set to VAC and put one probe in the tank and connect the other probe to ground. A reading of less than about 30 VAC isn't going to be an issue.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back