Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;Eq0bMvZky9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0bMvZky9U[/video]

So to add to the video update, some verbal updates:

- The hood is pretty and all (To me) but it is a pain to remove and put back on. I don't plan on getting a new one anytime soon, especially since everything fits so nicely in there: The pendant, feeder, filtration is well hidden, etc.

- I've started testing more often just to know where my params are at, out of curiosity. Cal seems to hover high at 480+ (Shocker to me), while Alk is stabilized at about 10.

- I am now using the Aerofuge to it's full capacity... all rock rubble and skimmer. It works like a champ, I love it. I have no lighting on it anymore, instead just using the extra Apex outlet for the moonlight LEDs.

- I am using a HOB filter with surface skimmer. I am mainly using it for the mechanical filtration and carbon function. I don't need much, and this filter does both well for my small tank. I have noticed improved health and slightly better water quality and clarity. I am using 1/4th cup of Black Diamond carbon.

- I am feeding once a day (A generous portion) and once a week I 2nd feed using freeze-dried Cyclop-Eez and Mysis shrimp.

- I now do a five gallon water-change once every two weeks.

- I don't plan on adding any coral, to stick with the idea of fewer but larger colonies.

- I do plan on taking a chance with a new fish, though I am not sure which one. I have an eight gallon Biocube for Quarantine, just to be extra careful. I am thinking a dwarf angel of some kind, but am worried about my overly aggressive Sixeline Wrasse. I'll do all that I can to placate that mean ol' fish into not hurting the new-comer.

- The machinery (Vortechs, filters, ATO, etc) have all been running smoothly minus one: The halide bulb that I stupidly broke (More next)

- The Halide: So I went from a Phoenix to Ushio's 20K bulb. While I liked the new bulb, I am kinda glad I accidently broke it, and used my back up bulb, the phoenix 14K. I didn't realize how much I love this bulb! So I bought a new one, for when this current one (Only used for three months) needs to be replaced.

- Scraping the walls is becoming more of a pain, the coral growth, while being a positive thing, is making it harder to keep the "clean" look. Oh well, not like my OCD is going to let me off the hook! ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like I got scared off from trying a dwarf angel (Darn, I wanted a Flame Angel soooo bad). Now I need to think of another fish to try, though I honestly haven't a clue as to what. I am considering a clown goby, but I was something that swims around often, instead of perching. Any ideas?

I fed the tank a little more than usual. What I mean by that, is that I didn't just let the auto feeder do it's once a day feed, I also added a pinch of freeze-dried cyclop-eez in the afternoon. Naturally the livestock went nuts, I'm tempted to start feeding more, especially since my filtration is beyond adequate for the tank.

My Blasto Merletti is pretty much gone, which is rather frustrating. The frogspawn, after a year and a half decided out of no where to toss out major sweepers and fry the Blasto to oblivion. I am going to remove the dead mini colony, but will not replace it with anything. I am just going to let the Frogspawn take it over.

My birthday will soon be here and I've told my wife what I would like. While I have lived without it for a long time, I've decided that an Apex PM1 (For pH) would be a great safety device to have on the tank. I have nothing to tell me should my ATO keep dumping kalk water into the tank, and soon I will. It's yet another comfort I'll have in this sometimes stressful hobby! I am a little disappointed that this thing is so expensive for what it is: 130 bucks! Oh well, least I don't feel like I need a conductivity set up.. that's way more in price than the pH set up! :lol:

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started, and almost finished, setting up my QT tank for one or two new fishies going into the tank. It's nothing fancy, an eight gallon biocube that will have some PVC parts for the fish to hide in. I am still not sure what fish to get quite yet, but I am going back and forth on risking a dwarf angel. I'd also like to add a clown goby, but we'll see.

A minor clean up and ten zip ties later, we're ready for some pics off the iPhone! ;)

QT 1.jpg
QT 2.jpg

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christian, the tank is looking real sweet!!! I love how all the softies are so inflated, a sign they are happy.

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Henry!

I'm looking forward to the challenge of (possibly) risking a dwarf angel in the reef. Maybe it'll generate some reef drama or something for me! ;)

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
01-29-31 thru 01-31-13 Pics (Before removing seven coral frags)

P1020903 (Medium).JPG
P1020904 (Medium).JPG
P1020905 (Medium).JPG
P1020908 (Medium).JPG
P1020909 (Medium).jpg

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
02-04-13 Pics (After the coral removal/readjustment)

P1020940 (Medium).jpg

P1020941 (Medium).jpg

P1020944 (Medium).JPG

P1020945 (Medium).JPG

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some major changes in filtration

So I used to have:

- The CPR AeroFuge (Medium) + rock rubble

- HOB power filter with floss and 1/4th cup of carbon

But something has bothered me for eons.. and enough was enough. I am so sick of micro bubbles that I just couldn't stand it anymore.. seeing those horrible little things bubble together and annoy my view of the tank. I decided I was also sick of the surface scum.. both of these annoying atrocities had to go. I came up with a plan:

- Remove the AeroFuge, it was just too big to keep the power filter and also add my Phosban Reactor (150).

- Add my newish AquaClear AC110 power filter. This unit could hold my temp sensor and heater and it would essentially destroy the surface scum by it's sheer spill out into the tank. I ordered a new media basket (To add the foam, for mechanical filtration), plus I ordered a custom overflow box for the AC110, made by Badfish aquatics. I am really looking forward to this, and seeing it in action. As it stands, even without the OF Box, the surface scum is non-existent! I love it!

- Add the Phosban Reactor with GFO in it. My smaller power filter already has carbon in it (1/3rd cup now) with floss. It's clearly doing it's job because the original protein skimmer I had wasn't producing anything for the past week when it was joined by the smaller power filter. Carbon... amazing stuff!

After installing the AC and tweaking it for the tank, I noticed I still had micro-bubbles. Suffering a near stroke, I wanted to cry. But something occurred to me. There was a lot of splashing noise from the AC110. The force of the spill out was sucking in air into the tank... my set water level was too low! I re-glued the float switch a bit higher to keep the water level higher than usual. IT WORKED! The micro-bubbles were no longer being introduced, then blended by the Vortechs! Yay!

Now.. pictures!
Here's the phosban reactor being prepped. I want a very clean and stable look (To the point where you won't notice it in the tank). I glued a piece of black vinyl tubing to keep the pump-pipe upright and straight. As of right now, I am running vinegar through it, and I need a single tube connector for it.. here's hoping Lowes or my LFS has it in stock.
P1020971 (Medium).JPG

(This is the shot of the back of my tank/the back of my canopy (it's huge, and I love it housing everything).
P1020974 (Medium).JPG

And here's my QT tank housing a yellow clown goby and a ______ damsel. (It's blue with black markings on it's face).
P1020972 (Medium).JPG

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Update - 03-16-13

Watch in HD!

Still waiting on music to appear, but oh well.

[video=youtube;W1HUkupmm-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1HUkupmm-s[/video]

My wife left my video camera at her sisters.. so we're stuck with my iPhone for today. :*(

Some changes from last video:

- The 40-50 pound acylic canopy is gone! It has been replaced with.. well.. whatever you call the thing I made. It hides my equipment, in a classy way, and I now have an open top Reef Tank! This change has made my reefing INCREDIBLY better for reasons as feeding, testing, maintenance, and even viewing. I am, truly, in love with my current set up and can't see myself ever going back to a monster canopy.

- The HQI Pendant is now an inch higher, 11 inches. Coral seem perfectly happy with that.

- I got rid of my skimmer.. and have been skimmerless for dang near a month. Replacing it was the AquaClear 110, which houses my heating element, probes (Temp and pH), and a small Hydor pump for the Phosban Reactor.

- The Phosban Reactor has been added and has 1/2 cup of BRS' cheaper GFO changed monthly (More or less).

- A Drs FosterSmith HOB power filter that has a filter cartridge with 1/2 cup carbon (BRS' large particle carbon), changed weekly.

- I removed the automatic feeder, and now feed my aquarium myself. I feed more frequently but the reason for the change was to get the fish more people friendly. Within a week the fish all come out when they see someone and beg for food.

- I started more frequently feeding the tank with Golden Pearls (5-50 + 50-100 micron mix) at night. So far so good, the corals have been responding well to it.

- I started feeding Freeze-dried cyclop-eez during the day, mainly for the fish. As usual, the response of the fish has been gleeful.

- After a month's quarantine, I added a Yellow Clownfish Goby and an unknown damsel (Blue body, black striping on the face). I am happy to report the six-line has allowed the damsel to live without problem, but I have not seen the YCG since it was put in the tank, I fear the worst.

- Vortechs have been on yellow mode for a while, and the tank has absolutely responded very well to the change.

- Added a pH controller, but use it only to monitor the pH. It's been pretty steady between 8.0-8.4

- I fragged my Gorgonian as it was touching my Yellow Toadstool Leather.. a fight it would not win. But in a win-win for us, the fragged piece was re-mounted to the left to help fill in the empty space of that rock, next to the Orange Cap.

- I bought a Chilli Coral and placed it under and behind the large Orange Cap colony. Unfortunately I don't think it's doing well despite my best efforts to feed it (It's not photosynthetic coral). I may have to take it out, but at the moment I am holding out in the hopes it will begin to puff up and feed at night.

Tank Info:

Tank: Aqueon 40BR

Stand and Canopy: The stand is a nice entrance piece of furniture and the canopy(?) is custom made of pine wood, wood filler, screws, and a cool spray paint used for grills (Very good against high heat... 1200F!!).

Light: 250W HQI Hamilton Pendant with 14K Phoenix, being run by an Aqua Medic reef cube ballast. I also use the moonlight LED that is a part of it.

Sand: Reef on the Rocks Aragonite + Caribsea SeaFloor Grade sand (Bigger particles)

Rock: Reef on the Rocks Aragolite

Water Movement: 2 X Vortech MP10 (Yellow mode at about 3/4 power for one and 1/4 for the other)

Filtration: - AquaClear 110 + Phosban Reactor (1/2 cup of BRS' cheaper GFO) - Drs.FosterSmith Bio System Power Filter (1/2 cup of BRS' large particle Carbon)

pH Controller - Used only to monitor pH

ATO: BRS Doser (50ml/min) used in custom set up (7G tub that is hidden). (I use Kalkwasser)

Foods - Freeze-dried Cyclop-Eez, Golden Pearls (5-50 + 50-100 micron mixed together)

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I have started testing the tank more consistently.. and found out my ALK is 7. Been trying to lift that number for that pas two days, but the tank is being stubborn. :lol:

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy is done!

I finished my Canopy (officially). I had to do some maintenance and I can tell you my life post-giant-canopy is just awesome. The water change, filter cleaning, tank wall cleaning, etc. is SO much easier. Anyway, since I had the canopy off the tank, I figured I'd finally add the finishing touches to it. I added two iron decorations, and I think it turned out very well!

Finished Canopy 03-20-13 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christian, your tank looks great and what a cool and unique canopy!

-M&T

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks M&T! I am so happy with it. My wife gave me the "It'll take away from the display, etc." but I had to do it. Thankfully everyone seems to like it, including my wife! We all know our spouse's opinion matters most! :lol:

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch in HD!

[video=youtube;eJe_8JZwT-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJe_8JZwT-s[/video]

My Sumpless 40Br Mixed Reef Tank. Set up since August 2012 (Moved from SC), most corals have been with me for about a year prior to the move.

Tank: Aqueon 40BR

Stand and Canopy: The stand is a nice entrance piece of furniture and the "half-canopy" and fixture cover was made by me.

Controller: Apex Jr. (Without Display, I use my iPhone 5/Computers to monitor the tank) + Apex VDM for LED dimming.

pH Monitor: Milwaukee SMS112

Light: RapidLED parts giving me 20 X Royal Blue, 14 X Cool Whites, and 2 X Moonlights.

Sand: Reef on the Rocks Aragonite + Large Particle Aragonite (Mix is 4:1)

Rock: Reef on the Rocks

Water Movement: 1 X Vortech MP10 (Yellow mode at about 1/2 power) + AquaClear 110 and another Power Filter (Described below).

Filtration: - AquaClear 110 housing a feed pump to a Phosban Reactor with 1/2 cup of BRS granular GFO. - Drs.FosterSmith Bio System Power Filter & Oxy Surface Skimmer (Use it as a mechanical filter plus carbon filtration (1/2 cup per week), without the surface skimmer).

Fish Feeder: Used when on Vacation, hand feed when I am home.

ATO: BRS Doser (50ml/min) used in custom set up (7G tub that is hidden). (I use Kalkwasser)

----------------------------------------*----------------------------------------*---------------------

Changes:

- Took off one of the Vortech MP10's... don't feel like I need it and it was making the clam angry.

- Majorly pruned the tank.

- Removed Ricordia garden rock and added a Baby Blue Squamosa Clam.

- Added Blue Staghorn coral (Bottom left) and a mixed color Hammer (With the Frogspawn).

- Finger Leather has been removed to make space in the tank.

- Green finger leather removed.

Back