Elegance Coral Flat ?

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've got an elegance coral that I've had for several months now.
It sits in the sandbed near where the clowns sleep (was hoping they might host it but they've not done anything yet).

When I first got it, it seemed to stretch upward toward the light almost looking like some sort of trumpet shape. I noticed my lighting wasn't producing the level of light I thought appropriate so I turned it up to where I thought it should be. Everything in the tank looks good and adjusted and it's been that way the past couple months at least. However I've noticed the elegance coral no longer really stretches up. It just lays out open and mostly flat with the tentacles sometimes curled under slightly.
(sorry I dont have a pic right now but I'll get some).

It reacts normally when feed and lifts up and closes up a bit, at night it closes itself right up as well but every day back to being open and mostly flat looking.
Is this okay? Most of the elegance I see online seem to be curled up and sort of unique in a way, such as this one (grabbed an image from a LFS). Am I doing something wrong?

1626917969076.png

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture of your elegance displaying the weird behavior would probably help.
Yeah sorry, as mentioned didn't have one at the time due to being at work.
I've worked out how to get some uploaded though so please see below. 2nd pic is a bit over exposed as wasn't aiming for the coral here but you can see the general shape.

20210703_134919.jpg
20210625_153908.jpg

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like is just hadn’t developed the folds we typically see. Mine inflates with water time to time. It doesn’t look flat because it has many many mouths and folds, but certainly bulbous. After a few hours it’s back to normal. Some have suggested it’s flushing its body. It’s eating and pooping and other wise appears healthy. Following because I think ours are doing the same thing and I’m curious what others say.

I’ve attached a few pictures as examples.

The following is it pooped up.
01903562-B18D-4B52-9720-48DAD7EFA086.jpeg

Here is typical look thought he is only about 40% extended in this pic you can still see the difference.

37A6ACE8-5926-403E-8165-648F3A038FF7.jpeg

Here is is more extended but the pic is top down.
EAECF281-D38C-4972-8670-536FBA826626.jpeg

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like is just hadn’t developed the folds we typically see. Mine inflates with water time to time. It doesn’t look flat because it has many many mouths and folds, but certainly bulbous. After a few hours it’s back to normal. Some have suggested it’s flushing its body. It’s eating and pooping and other wise appears healthy. Following because I think ours are doing the same thing and I’m curious what others say.

I’ve attached a few pictures as examples.

The following is it pooped up.

Here is typical look thought he is only about 40% extended in this pic you can still see the difference.

Here is is more extended but the pic is top down.
Yours certainly seems to have some more personality than mine, and possibly some more colour (or my pictures/lighting just makes it look the way it does).
Fairly sure when I got it, it was more foldy looking, but can't quite recall.

This is it the other day after a feed
20210719_181859.jpg

Think this is more from around when I first got it perhaps, you can see it quite extended upwards and waving around.
20210406_171439.jpg
20210329_175818.jpg

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, mine has never had his tentacles so long. I was concerned, but it’s been seemingly okay for a while and once my new tank is up and ready for corals he and the black elegance will be the first to move. I imagine it’s a flow issue that is preventing full tentacles extension. Or not. They’ve always been this way.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, mine has never had his tentacles so long. I was concerned, but it’s been seemingly okay for a while and once my new tank is up and ready for corals he and the black elegance will be the first to move. I imagine it’s a flow issue that is preventing full tentacles extension. Or not. They’ve always been this way.

It's certainly not that long these days, which makes me wonder.
I don't know.. this morning it seemed a little curled up etc whilst the lights still had a lot of blue to them.
It spread out again like it does now.
I've only got 1 powerhead in my tank, but I thought that'd be enough as it's only a smallish tank but I have been wondering if I should get a 2nd to put on the other side so there's some more push/pull.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's certainly not that long these days, which makes me wonder.
I don't know.. this morning it seemed a little curled up etc whilst the lights still had a lot of blue to them.
It spread out again like it does now.
I've only got 1 powerhead in my tank, but I thought that'd be enough as it's only a smallish tank but I have been wondering if I should get a 2nd to put on the other side so there's some more push/pull.
It certainly helps bring them more food as long as they aren’t directly in front of the power heads. Mine eat well and poop quite frequently.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back