Elegance coral shrinking and expunging

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help identify what might be happening with elegance coral. It was fine for a couple weeks. Now it's expunging this cotton-like material and retracting completely.

IMG_1474746024.502769.jpg

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need current water parameters please. And if there may be an inhabitant in its tank that may be irritating it.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need current water parameters please. And if there may be an inhabitant in its tank that may be irritating it.

IMG_1474751783.701061.jpg

Cleaner shrimp but really not showing signs of interest at all. Ever. A clown who doesn't bother it. Some hermits who reside under it when it was healthy. A six line erase.... Nothing that appears Aggressive. Also, it is isolated from other coral by more than 10 inches.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got fresh carbon in a reactor. And a very good skimmer with filter socks. And a marine pure block.

Do i need to worry about other inhabitants being affected? Seems the stinging cells are probably dying based on the earlier study.

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to me. My LFS owner explained that most of the wild caught specimens have some sort of incurable condition that kills them after a couple weeks. I don't remember if it's a bacterial thing, or something else, but he told me that those with the malady are pretty much beyond help. He told me that if you find captive bred specimens without the malady, they're pretty much bullet proof.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get that alk up to 9 or 10. Then I'd scoop it out in a whip cream container,add 5 or 6 drops of iodine, and let it set in there for 10 to 15 min. Put it back in and give it a low gentle flow. and keep that crab away from it.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to me. My LFS owner explained that most of the wild caught specimens have some sort of incurable condition that kills them after a couple weeks. I don't remember if it's a bacterial thing, or something else, but he told me that those with the malady are pretty much beyond help. He told me that if you find captive bred specimens without the malady, they're pretty much bullet proof.

What did you do? Any treatment? Run its course? Remove from display tank and isolate? Euthanize?

Sorry to list out possible scenarios. I'm just wondering what others have experienced. Plus in don't want to endanger other creatures in my tank. But it appears its isolated to this species.

Thanks

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance coral dipped in iodine for 15min. Back in tank. Appears swollen. Hope it pulls through. I'll dip again tomorrow.

IMG_1474769250.188547.jpg

Zoomed in shot:

IMG_1474769258.663513.jpg

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do? Any treatment? Run its course? Remove from display tank and isolate? Euthanize?

Sorry to list out possible scenarios. I'm just wondering what others have experienced. Plus in don't want to endanger other creatures in my tank. But it appears its isolated to this species.

Thanks

Unfortunately, it slowly withered away. Nothing I could do.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it slowly withered away. Nothing I could do.

Sorry.

I'm trying hard to slowly give it some relief.

I've dipped yesterday. Moved to a very gently flowing area of my tank. Less light as well.

This morning, it still was expelling the cotton like mucus. Still trying color but closed up. I'll probably dip again.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back