Elegance Coral Syndrome - Anything new to be said?

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking better and better:
4c0d8d252ef982d0e92e511ba5f32a6e.jpg

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great, I just picked up an elegance coral from AquaSD live sale, it's a pink tip 3-4" picking it up tomorrow from my buddy, we shared shipping.

what kind of flow should I be looking to place it in? I have a spot in the middle of the tank low lighting low/medium flow.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the dreaded conical base also. No issues so far. Just had to knock the flatworms off him on Tuesday. Only place the cuc and fish couldn’t get to. Darn coral murders a lot of inverts. So it’s primary diet it 3 half piece of krill every 2-3 days and snails, preferably large turbos.

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great, I just picked up an elegance coral from AquaSD live sale, it's a pink tip 3-4" picking it up tomorrow from my buddy, we shared shipping.

what kind of flow should I be looking to place it in? I have a spot in the middle of the tank low lighting low/medium flow.

Sounds like the perfect place for it, at least to start. It may want more light eventually.

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only place the cuc and fish couldn’t get to. Darn coral murders a lot of inverts. So it’s primary diet it 3 half piece of krill every 2-3 days and snails, preferably large turbos.

I'm sorry about the flatworms, but the rest is true and fairly hilarious.
A really healthy Elegance is voracious and quickly accumulates a field of empty snail shells (I think of them as bones) around its 'lair'. ;Hilarious

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 20 years in the hobby I picked up my first elegance this weekend and it has a cone shape base. Now I'm not too confident about it's long term survival.

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 20 years in the hobby I picked up my first elegance this weekend and it has a cone shape base. Now I'm not too confident about it's long term survival.

Well there certainly might be other factors, such as the specific location where they were collected.
So who knows, you might be luckier than I was with them!

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly hope so. The LFS sold it to me as an Aussie. The also had cut frags should have gone with those.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine also seems to have a conical skeleton, how could it be indo with the ban this long? it came from the aquaSD live sale. here you can see the skeleton before I moved it.

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine also seems to have a conical skeleton, how could it be indo with the ban this long? it came from the aquaSD live sale. here you can see the skeleton before I moved it.

Probably not Indonesian. Maybe collected from a different location in Australia.
Could be a significant difference.
Please let us know how it's doing in a month or two. Hopefully will do well.

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not Indonesian. Maybe collected from a different location in Australia.
Could be a significant difference.
Please let us know how it's doing in a month or two. Hopefully will do well.

not quite a month but it's doing great, I moved it slightly to give it more room away from any neighboring corals, it's lost it's bubbles and is definitely lot more open, I've fed it twice (reef roids)

here it is blues only and b/w

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LcSyJ6vN2cs/XU9hSsV3ecI/AAAAAAABxOk/1acaGY9TR5MvbC4HzThWkrjA_4hejw4awCK8BGAs/s0/2019-08-10.jpg

suta4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how this myth started but australian elegance are collected both as small cones or sold as frags from larger colonies. One is no harder to keep than the other but there’s variation in their wild habitats wrt to depth and water clarity and coloration.

No idea about the infections that affect them though...

HTH

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not quite a month but it's doing great, I moved it slightly to give it more room away from any neighboring corals, it's lost it's bubbles and is definitely lot more open, I've fed it twice (reef roids)

here it is blues only and b/w

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LcSyJ6vN2cs/XU9hSsV3ecI/AAAAAAABxOk/1acaGY9TR5MvbC4HzThWkrjA_4hejw4awCK8BGAs/s0/2019-08-10.jpg

Cool.
I'm not sure if elegance corals will ingest reef roids, but they'll definitely eat small pieces of fish or shrimp flesh.

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the pics shared some people have definitely been very successful. I was wondering if anyone has noticed any specific parameters for these successful tanks? Temp, nutrient levels, feeding schedules, other corals, par, flow, etc..

everyone with indos please sell then to us for cheap lol ;Cat;Cat;Cat

we have both indo and aussie - when my brother is late with the weekly dosing of Zn or Mn, they get mad and don't extend as much. that's actually our signal one or both of those traces are low... as they extend better within 15 min after dosing

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often wonder where the myth of conical base means indo started?

It's simliar to a wall or branching hammer, same coral, just different growth types.

And with the indo ban going on 2 years now, I doubt there are any indo elegance around unless they have survived this long.

Ive lost 5 elegance to ECS, 3 were conical shaped, and 2 were frags of a wall type.

It wasn't until I reset my tank with all new rock and sand can I now get elegance to live. I believe I read when I was researching ECS that the disease can live very long term in our tanks laying wait for a new elegance.

I currently have 2 conical based ones(one purple tipped, and one pink tipped) that are very happy and healthy. Not a great pic, but you can see the 2 on either side of my rockwork.

8a3045b6c5eef7cf02a30c51bfd62b02.jpg

I think where some people fail with the conical base ones is not placing them on the sandbed(where they are harvested from), and getting them deep enough in the sandbed so their polyps can lay out on the sand, instead of being whipped about cutting themselves on their own skeleton(similar to any other LPS).

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often wonder where the myth of conical base means indo started?

It's simliar to a wall or branching hammer, same coral, just different growth types.

And with the indo ban going on 2 years now, I doubt there are any indo elegance around unless they have survived this long.

Ive lost 5 elegance to ECS, 3 were conical shaped, and 2 were frags of a wall type.

It wasn't until I reset my tank with all new rock and sand can I now get elegance to live. I believe I read when I was researching ECS that the disease can live very long term in our tanks laying wait for a new elegance.

I currently have 2 conical based ones(one purple tipped, and one pink tipped) that are very happy and healthy. Not a great pic, but you can see the 2 on either side of my rockwork.

I think where some people fail with the conical base ones is not placing them on the sandbed(where they are harvested from), and getting them deep enough in the sandbed so their polyps can lay out on the sand, instead of being whipped about cutting themselves on their own skeleton(similar to any other LPS).

so should the entire cone be in the sand? I have mine tilted forward, partly in the sand should I bury it more?

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how or why but I have 2 that i bought a while back and they took off. One was a one holer and now it is about 8 inches. The other one has grown to like 9 inches and has babies growing off of it that just need to fall of to make new ones.

thumbnail[1] (2).jpg thumbnail[1] (3).jpg thumbnail[1].jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back