Elegance won't stay put

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my elegance going on 6 months and he will not stay put. I bury him time after time in the sand in the back corner where it is very low flow and he keeps falling over or blowing away. Any ideas of how to keep him put?? I' tired of moving him every day since he falls on his side and therefore won' get light or may get irritated

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your flow is probably too strong or something is pushing the coral.

You have to be careful not to cut any of its fleshy parts but you can place it between your rocks - again as long as the rocks won't damage the fleshy parts. Generally better not to glue the root, although I've seen people do that as well. Needs to be vertical though, a few degree angle isn't an issue. Even though the conventional wisdom is to keep them on sand bed, in fact in the wild they grow larger if attached to rocks.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance corals don’t move on their own. It is most likely a flow issue in your scenario if it moves to a low flow area. Other reasons can be gobys and Pistol shrimps.

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your flow is probably too strong or something is pushing the coral.

You have to be careful not to cut any of its fleshy parts but you can place it between your rocks - again as long as the rocks won't damage the fleshy parts. Generally better not to glue the root, although I've seen people do that as well. Needs to be vertical though, a few degree angle isn't an issue. Even though the conventional wisdom is to keep them on sand bed, in fact in the wild they grow larger if attached to rocks.
So put on rock vertically? Where it won' hit on fleshy parts

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance corals don’t move on their own. It is most likely a flow issue in your scenario if it moves to a low flow area. Other reasons can be gobys and Pistol shrimps.
I have tried burying it in the low flow area so maybe it' my snails? I have no gobies or shrimp. I have a clown, lawnmower blenny, Red lined wrasse and mccoskers flasher wrasse

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So put on rock vertically? Where it won' hit on fleshy parts
You want it facing the light, low in the tank or even partially covered. As Zack said it doesn't move so it's probably too much flow, none of those fish strike me as strong enough to move it, unless the blenny "lands" on it and flips it but I doubt that'd be a pleasant experience. No urchins?

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want it facing the light, low in the tank or even partially covered. As Zack said it doesn't move so it's probably too much flow, none of those fish strike me as strong enough to move it, unless the blenny "lands" on it and flips it but I doubt that'd be a pleasant experience. No urchins?
No urchins, blenny doesn't go near him that I know of. Ty I will try those options and see what happens

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! That's already a great success to keep it alive for 6 months these days! Depending on your tank size and aquascape flexibility you could also create a lagoon by placing some rocks around it. It will protect it from high flow.

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! That's already a great success to keep it alive for 6 months these days! Depending on your tank size and aquascape flexibility you could also create a lagoon by placing some rocks around it. It will protect it from high flow.

It's a red sea reefer 170, yes it opens up huge and I only spot feed all my corals once every 7 to 10 days! Thank you!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous corals, one of my favorite. I gave away one I had for over 5yrs (regretting it) and the last I got died suddenly after ~18 mos, at this point I'm reluctant to get another one given all the issues...

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous corals, one of my favorite. I gave away one I had for over 5yrs (regretting it) and the last I got died suddenly after ~18 mos, at this point I'm reluctant to get another one given all the issues...
i have heard they were hard and was reluctant myself but no issues as of yet (knock on wood)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back