Elements with a calcium reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a calcium reactor. This supplies my calcium and alkalinity needs, and I will not stop using a calcium reactor. I would like to supplement my other element requirements with Triton's. What exactly is in "Base Elements", "Core 7" and "Reef Core 7"? Is there an ingredients list somewhere? Red Sea, Fauna Marin and even the typically mysterious Korallen Zucht list what's in their A,B,C, D, 1,2,3,4 elements products. Triton stands on the grounds of comprehensive element analysis so I would think they share what's in their products. I just can't seem to find it.

If these 3 Triton products contain calcium chloride or sodium bicarbonate then I can not use them as supplements. If that's the case is my only option then to use Triton's stand alone element supplements to dose macro and trace elements?

OP
OP
Johnseye

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton, can you help me understand this?

"DaStaCo has partnered up with Triton Reef to analyze each batch of DaStaCo media to assure that each batch is free and clear of undesirable elements that could deteriorate marine aquarium water quality."

Why it's confusing is that Triton doesn't recommend using a calcium reactor...do you? You provide the cal and alk in their base/core elements line right? You wouldn't want to do both. I get that Dastaco wants to claim their media is pure and this is verified through Triton analysis, but right on the Dastaco reactor media bucket it says "The most ideal reactor media to use with Triton method". I get it, but it's confusing and misleading.

Now, if Triton actually took their product line a step further and either sold their own media or partnered further with Dastaco to come up with a line that complimented CaRx use, then I'd bite. That's what I'm looking for. A compliment to CaRx, not instead of. To date I haven't seen it, and if cal and alk are in Triton's line as we think, then using it with a CaRx would cause numerous issues.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love that too... BUT I think the problem with dosing trace elements stuff is that you will have a buildup of those elements with calcium reactor. The reason being is that when you dose calcium and alkalinity separately you actually raise the salinity also , meaning your will eventually have to dump out some of the water and replace it with RO water removing excess elements. With calcium reactor you don't have that, so you can never get rid of the excess elements because if you dump x amount of the water and add the RO it will drop your salinity. So to keep dosing all of those trace elements you would have to test for each one separately. This is just my understanding, may be I'm way off though.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton, can you help me understand this?

"DaStaCo has partnered up with Triton Reef to analyze each batch of DaStaCo media to assure that each batch is free and clear of undesirable elements that could deteriorate marine aquarium water quality."

Why it's confusing is that Triton doesn't recommend using a calcium reactor...do you? You provide the cal and alk in their base/core elements line right? You wouldn't want to do both. I get that Dastaco wants to claim their media is pure and this is verified through Triton analysis, but right on the Dastaco reactor media bucket it says "The most ideal reactor media to use with Triton method". I get it, but it's confusing and misleading.

Now, if Triton actually took their product line a step further and either sold their own media or partnered further with Dastaco to come up with a line that complimented CaRx use, then I'd bite. That's what I'm looking for. A compliment to CaRx, not instead of. To date I haven't seen it, and if cal and alk are in Triton's line as we think, then using it with a CaRx would cause numerous issues.
Well, CaRx media is not as profitable to Triton as their dosing products so no it wouldn't make sense for them to push that product. Hopefully someone from Triton can help answer you question about what else to dose. I know the AF line of products has a specific line for users with CaRx so that is easy to follow.

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, CaRx media is not as profitable to Triton as their dosing products so no it wouldn't make sense for them to push that product. Hopefully someone from Triton can help answer you question about what else to dose. I know the AF line of products has a specific line for users with CaRx so that is easy to follow.
Hey guys. Tim can chime in on this too. The reactor media sold by Destaco is very pure calcium carbonate. It will satisfy the heavy alk and Ca needs of large reef aquaria as demonstrated on reefs such as David Saxby's. Triton testing will determine what other elements are lacking. To my knowledge there isn't a Triton product that mates up with a calcium reactor for simple dosing as a pair. The original base elements contain a 4 part balanced mix of all necessary major and minor ions to produce water that most closely matches NSW levels in a species diverse SPS dominated mature reef tank utilizing a large algae filter, skimmer and gfo reactor. This is the method is is designed for. The new Core7 base elements are a newer formula of the same thing only in total liquid form requiring no dilution with RO/DI water. The Core7 Reef Supplements were created out of a growing demand by hobbyists around the world that wanted the balanced, pure ingredients of the base elements line but who opted for other methods of maintaining their tanks. Some do regular water changes, some don't use algae filters, etc. It contains less nutrients than the former two products since it might not be used with a strong algae filter to utilize them.
As for the ingredient composition within the products- Tim can elaborate more on that. It is not Triton's intent to provide an exact formula of what is in each bottle, but rather to provide a proven product that works as intended.

The destaco reactors work great to provide alk and ca to the aquarium. I personally wouldn't suggest changing from it if its working well for you. I would simply do some regular testing and determine what other elements and their concentrations are needed to reach target parameters. You should find that in a stable system, once a few tests are done, dosing amounts recorded, you should have a predictable amount of what and when to dose. This would be backed up by less and less frequent testing.

As for Triton recommending a calcium reactor: Although Triton tries to assist its fellow reefers on how to best navigate through the options of what to use and what not to use, it really comes down to the individual's preference. There are applications where Triton would recommend a reactor and other times when it would advise against it. The triton method would utilize base elements or the Core7 elements to balance the major and minor ions coupled with ICP testing to fine tune the levels to one's specific tank needs. (remember every tank is slightly different) For very large aquariums where liquid dosing seems unreasonable, the Destaco media utilized in a reactor, coupled with ICP testing and individual dosing has proven to work very well for many people and Triton would support this option.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It contains less nutrients than the former two products since it might not be used with a strong algae filter to utilize them.
But what about those of us running Triton as intended with a large algae bed? Any problem with switching to Core7?

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what about those of us running Triton as intended with a large algae bed? Any problem with switching to Core7?
Nope. The core7 base elements are to be used as a replacement for the original base elements so if you are running a large algae bed then you should be fine. Just make the change of dosing the core7 directly into the refugium section in high flow. The Core7 Reef supplements are to be used with "other methods"- not with an algae filter.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. The core7 base elements are to be used as a replacement for the original base elements so if you are running a large algae bed then you should be fine. Just make the change of dosing the core7 directly into the refugium section in high flow. The Core7 Reef supplements are to be used with "other methods"- not with an algae filter.
Oh, i see now. I didn't see there were two separate products... Base Elements and Reef Supplements. My bad. That's cool though. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back