Elf on the shelf ( Not reef compatible)

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have three kids and the wife left me to deal with the elf on the shelf tonight. ..So of coarse, it’s going to be doing something with my tank….Well in the process of putting his little fishing pole in his lap, the stick went through one of the slats for my fans on the light and completely demolished it! So let this be a Christmas warning on what that little elf from hell can be capable of! One of the kids don’t know it yet, but there getting new lights from Santa this year lol! Bah humbug!

987FEF75-795C-4B92-853D-3A9097FC7CE7.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have three kids and the wife left me to deal with the elf on the shelf tonight. ..So of coarse, it’s going to be doing something with my tank….Well in the process of putting his little fishing pole in his lap, the stick went through one of the slats for my fans on the light and completely demolished it! So let this be a Christmas warning on what that little elf from hell can be capable of! One of the kids don’t know it yet, but there getting new lights from Santa this year lol! Bah humbug!

987FEF75-795C-4B92-853D-3A9097FC7CE7.jpeg
@Santa Claus you have a very mischievous elf on the loose.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your light. That stupid elf was the bane of my existence for several years. My kids have been old enough to not believe any of that for a few years. This year my teenage daughter said that she knows it isn't real, but still wants us to put the elf out each day. My wife and I both told her no.

I spent several years each morning while rushing to get ready for work trying to Google something to do with that stupid elf, so my children's hopes wouldn't be crushed because dad was too lazy to move the stupid elf.

Sorry I just had to rant.

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your light. That stupid elf was the bane of my existence for several years. My kids have been old enough to not believe any of that for a few years. This year my teenage daughter said that she knows it isn't real, but still wants us to put the elf out each day. My wife and I both told her no.

I spent several years each morning while rushing to get ready for work trying to Google something to do with that stupid elf, so my children's hopes wouldn't be crushed because dad was too lazy to move the stupid elf.

LOL! I completely understand! My whole post was originated around ranting. lol!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We set ours out as Christmas decoration.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I DESPISE that thing. My daughter knows but my son's not quite there yet. He just woke me up by turning on the lights and asking if I knew where it was.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We set ours out as Christmas decoration.
Yeah and I wouldn't mind using it as a decoration, but trying to find some mischievous thing for it to do every day gets old quick. Idk maybe a week or so before Christmas I'll get it out. It may not be as bad now that my kids are older because they know it's not real, so if I don't move it one day they won't be afraid that they took away its magic.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah and I wouldn't mind using it as a decoration, but trying to find some mischievous thing for it to do every day gets old quick. Idk maybe a week or so before Christmas I'll get it out. It may not be as bad now that my kids are older because they know it's not real, so if I don't move it one day they won't be afraid that they took away its magic.
I think that's where a lot of people go wrong and it becomes a chore. We just moved ours around to different spots. Once a year it did a little something. Like try to fish in the fresh water tank. Kiss is my model for a lot of stuff.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
happy running man GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We setup a quick fishing rod with line and a little plastic hook from a toy the girls had. He sat on the canopy fishing in the tank all day. No fish even gave the hook a nibble, he got skunked.

Guess I should've read the whole thread.. hah

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our elf is extremely lazy. Sometimes he wouldn’t move from his spot for 2-3 days in a row... :rolleyes:

Now that our kids are old enough to know it’s fake, my daughter still wants it to move around. My answer, “Well, it’s not going to move itself.”

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say one positive thing about the elf, if there is something that your spouse wants you to do but you don't want to do it you just have to place the elf somewhere that prevents you from doing the chore. For instance if my wife wanted me to get something out of the attic, the night before I'd place the elf on the string to the attic ladder and I couldn't pull the attic ladder down since you're not allowed to touch the elf.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back