Elimi-NP dosing help

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm hoping I can get some help with my first time carbon dosing with Elimi-NP. I started dosing Elimi-NP 2 days ago at a rate for 5ML per day. Prior to dosing my NO3 was 27.8 and my PO4 was 0.12. After 2 days my NO3 dropped to 26 and my P04 dropped to 0. I just fed my tank some reef roid to get P04 back up to detectable numbers. What should I do going forward? Stop carbon dosing? or switch to NP Bacto balance? My tank is a Waterbox 7225 Peninsula, so I'm guessing volume is 200 gal

OP
OP
haitian_reefer

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok dosing reef roid did bring my PO4 back up (never fails).

Attachments

• D81B4A80-D130-4C21-B0BB-47FD003CA6C6.jpeg
    D81B4A80-D130-4C21-B0BB-47FD003CA6C6.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 41

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm hoping I can get some help with my first time carbon dosing with Elimi-NP. I started dosing Elimi-NP 2 days ago at a rate for 5ML per day. Prior to dosing my NO3 was 27.8 and my PO4 was 0.12. After 2 days my NO3 dropped to 26 and my P04 dropped to 0. I just fed my tank some reef roid to get P04 back up to detectable numbers. What should I do going forward? Stop carbon dosing? or switch to NP Bacto balance? My tank is a Waterbox 7225 Peninsula, so I'm guessing volume is 200 gal
I'm not sure I understand your question... If you NO3 has dropped to 27.8 ppm and your PO4 has dropped to 0.1 ppm, these values look very good to me. Why are you saying you are feeding to "get your PO4 back up to detectable numbers"? Did you mean to say that the PO4 dropped to 0.01 ppm? That would make sense then. Please clarify and I will try to help.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Why 5ml per day? TrpricMarine recomends to start with 0.1 ml / 26 gallons for initial dose.

OP
OP
haitian_reefer

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand your question... If you NO3 has dropped to 27.8 ppm and your PO4 has dropped to 0.1 ppm, these values look very good to me. Why are you saying you are feeding to "get your PO4 back up to detectable numbers"? Did you mean to say that the PO4 dropped to 0.01 ppm? That would make sense then. Please clarify and I will try to help.
My nitrate prior to dosing was 27.8 PPM. After 2 days of dosing it dropped to 26 PPM. My PO4 prior to dosing was 0.12. After dosing it dropped down 0.00. I reef roid to ensure I don't bottom out PO4. I was under the impression, I do not want my PO4 to be at 0. What am I doing wrong?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you first used way too much. That may have caused an overly aggressive drop in your PO4. That being said, it ALSO sounds like there may be an issue with your Hanna Tester results. So here is the bottom line.... The starting dosage for your system should be around .7 or .8 ml per day. Then, check you Hanna checker against some known, accurate PO4 test. Then come back with the results. Keep in mind that if your checker was off, then even your first measurements might not be correct. So in the end, you might be looking at just getting good accurate PO4 and NO3 values, and starting with the correct dosage and THEN seeing where the system goes.

OP
OP
haitian_reefer

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you first used way too much. That may have caused an overly aggressive drop in your PO4. That being said, it ALSO sounds like there may be an issue with your Hanna Tester results. So here is the bottom line.... The starting dosage for your system should be around .7 or .8 ml per day. Then, check you Hanna checker against some known, accurate PO4 test. Then come back with the results. Keep in mind that if your checker was off, then even your first measurements might not be correct. So in the end, you might be looking at just getting good accurate PO4 and NO3 values, and starting with the correct dosage and THEN seeing where the system goes.
I think my test yesterday may have been operator error. When should I switch to bacto balance? My goal is to maintain a PO4 between 0.05 - 0.1 PPM while lowering NO3 down to 5 PPM.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my test yesterday may have been operator error. When should I switch to bacto balance? My goal is to maintain a PO4 between 0.05 - 0.1 PPM while lowering NO3 down to 5 PPM.
When coming "down" in concentrations, due to using the ELIMI NP, I like to get the values well down into the range, before switching to the NP BACTO Balance. So let the PO4 get down to about 0.06 or 0.05 ppm before switching over to the NP BACTO Balance. That usually works pretty well.

OP
OP
haitian_reefer

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When coming "down" in concentrations, due to using the ELIMI NP, I like to get the values well down into the range, before switching to the NP BACTO Balance. So let the PO4 get down to about 0.06 or 0.05 ppm before switching over to the NP BACTO Balance. That usually works pretty well.
Thank you so much! I'll report back in a week or 2.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back