Emerald crab Yeah or Nay?

ReefHog10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly don't have a massive outbreak of turf algae, but just enough to be irritating (Begins to grow up around zoa polyps, is in rock crevices, etc). In addition to 5 small fish, I have two tuxedo urchins and multiple hermit crabs in a 32 gallon cube as well as a variety of LPS/Soft corals. Tank is right at a year old, Nitrates stable 10-12 and phosphate stays 0.03-0.04. With it being a small nano tank, I'm not operating a refugium, algae scrubber, etc - just foam, chemipure, and standard cube filter and an ~ 20% water change weekly. I've heard pros and cons on adding an emerald crab to help with cleaning crew when it comes to them messing with fish and corals. Interested in everyones experience. Thanks in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an emerald crab mess with any fish (always the reverse). The ones I've had in my tanks have always been reasonably good at clearing out nuisance algae (being primarily nocturnal). Try to get a female if you can (they're apparently less aggressive).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I certainly don't have a massive outbreak of turf algae, but just enough to be irritating (Begins to grow up around zoa polyps, is in rock crevices, etc). In addition to 5 small fish, I have two tuxedo urchins and multiple hermit crabs in a 32 gallon cube as well as a variety of LPS/Soft corals. Tank is right at a year old, Nitrates stable 10-12 and phosphate stays 0.03-0.04. With it being a small nano tank, I'm not operating a refugium, algae scrubber, etc - just foam, chemipure, and standard cube filter and an ~ 20% water change weekly. I've heard pros and cons on adding an emerald crab to help with cleaning crew when it comes to them messing with fish and corals. Interested in everyones experience. Thanks in advance!
I trust a politician more than I trust an emerald crab but if its a must - must be female

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 emerald crabs (not sure what gender), they keep the algae bubble at bay but saw one nipping at a zoa and acan, my other zoas and acans they have not touched however. Other than that, they haven't bothered my other corals.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been like the others and have had ones that also ate bubble algae which is a bonus. I had no fish trouble but you really have to make sure your liverock is secure as they're strong and will push things around.

OP
OP
R

ReefHog10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - the question must be asked -
How does one sex an emerald crab at the LFS? (I don't want to be seen as insensitive.. ha)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back