emerald crab

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i added an emerald crab to my tank about 3 weeks ago. Last night i noticed he was spending a lot of time near my Lords Acan. I happened to look over and see it dig his claw into the coral and rip a piece off that he promptly shoved into his mouth. I spent the next two hours trying to catch it so i could remove it from the tank but its still in there, dam rocks! i thought emerald crabs were completely reef safe and a welcome addition to a clean up crew?? Is there any reason someone may know about as to why it would eat my acan? Has anyone else had this issue, and lastly any tricks to getting him out?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every few days I put 2 or 3 sinking algae wafers in my tank for my CUC. They swarm them and fight over them. I haven't had any go after my corals, including my emerald crab. I know others have had a different experience with them.

Since you've decided he needs to go, if you can't catch him, get some algae wafers. I seriously drop these in and the critters come out of the rock to get them. You could likely set a trap that way.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he wasn't taking food out of it's mouth or tentacles, was he? Like, he got a chunk of the acans' flesh?

my shrimp are jerks like that all of the time, but I've only seen my porcelain crabs do it once.

OP
OP
rob s.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no he definitely ripped a piece of the acan off and ate it. i originally thought he was just inspecting and eating algae or food remnants but it was a definite tearing of the coral. Sucks and i hope it doesn't kill that polyp

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned my lesson to never trust a crab when my $5 emerald crab ate my $250 acans. He was quickly banished to the sump. He seemed alright at first and he did a fantastic job of getting rid of the bubble algae in my tank before that but once he finished the bubble algae and moved on to the acans he had to go.

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of large emerald crabs and the only thing they bother is on of my leathers. The coral tolerates it and grows albeit not to the elegance it should have. But the crabs eat everything else and for me are quite valuable and sometimes comical.

OP
OP
rob s.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been trying to capture mine for two days now. Last night i put an algae wafer in and every other clean up crab came for a taste except for him!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back