• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Ruegaroo Waterbox 60.2 Build

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Going to go ahead and make a build thread as I feel like it will be a fun way to monitor my progress and potentially get some tips from anybody that wants to chime in.

I am new to the hobby but have always been interested in marine life and decided to finally take the plunge and get my hands wet. I ordered a Waterbox 60.2 and have had water in it for about a week now.

Equipment
- Ecotech Marine Vectra S2 - might be overkill but if I ever upgrade tank size in the future I will be alright.
- IceCap 3K Gyre
- Eheim Jager Submersible Heater
- Reef Octopus Classic 110 INT Skimmer
- AI Prime HD LED - came with the Waterbox setup and so far I am happy with it

In the Tank
- Caribsea Life Rock
- Caribsea Live Sand
- RO/DI Water - Homemade
- Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Livestock Wishes
- Blenny - not sure what kind yet
- Pair of clowns - not sure what kind yet
- Wrasse - not sure what kind yet
- Leathers
- Euphyllia - frogspawn and hammer primarily
- Other LPS - trachyphyllia, lobophyllia, acanthastrea
- Softies - I like the look of pulsing xenia but a lot of people seem to hate this as they are weed-like - I dunno I think they look cool when they are pulsing
------This is what I hope to eventually work up to over time

Last night I started with the Red Sea Reef Mature kit to get the cycle going. Below is what my tank currently looks like. I am very happy with the aquascaping but my only concern is the bald patch in the front corner from the sand blowing away. Some other threads on here have said that over time as algae grows in the sand it will gain a little more weight and be harder to move.

Anyway, let this first post in my tank thread signify the official start of my reefing journey!

WB8-26-19.jpg

rodney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Going to go ahead and make a build thread as I feel like it will be a fun way to monitor my progress and potentially get some tips from anybody that wants to chime in.

I am new to the hobby but have always been interested in marine life and decided to finally take the plunge and get my hands wet. I ordered a Waterbox 60.2 and have had water in it for about a week now.

Equipment
- Ecotech Marine Vectra S2 - might be overkill but if I ever upgrade tank size in the future I will be alright.
- IceCap 3K Gyre
- Eheim Jager Submersible Heater
- Reef Octopus Classic 110 INT Skimmer
- AI Prime HD LED - came with the Waterbox setup and so far I am happy with it

In the Tank
- Caribsea Life Rock
- Caribsea Live Sand
- RO/DI Water - Homemade
- Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Livestock Wishes
- Blenny - not sure what kind yet
- Pair of clowns - not sure what kind yet
- Wrasse - not sure what kind yet
- Leathers
- Euphyllia - frogspawn and hammer primarily
- Other LPS - trachyphyllia, lobophyllia, acanthastrea
- Softies - I like the look of pulsing xenia but a lot of people seem to hate this as they are weed-like - I dunno I think they look cool when they are pulsing
------This is what I hope to eventually work up to over time

Last night I started with the Red Sea Reef Mature kit to get the cycle going. Below is what my tank currently looks like. I am very happy with the aquascaping but my only concern is the bald patch in the front corner from the sand blowing away. Some other threads on here have said that over time as algae grows in the sand it will gain a little more weight and be harder to move.

Anyway, let this first post in my tank thread signify the official start of my reefing journey!

WB8-26-19.jpg
That looks nice I like the arch!

OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
From 9-1-19 ---

Finally some growth on the rocks. The Red Sea Mature Kit seems to be doing its thing. The kit says to add a cleanup crew this week so if the numbers are good I will get to add the tanks first residents.

WB9-1-19.jpg

OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
I added some snails and a skunk cleaner shrimp earlier this week. The shrimp has chosen the arch as his domain.

S1.jpg

I also got some very nice MochaVincis today! They are actually getting along quite well for now too.

MV2.jpg

Not sure what I should add next. I'm going to let the little guys figure things out for a bit before I do anything else.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
I added some snails and a skunk cleaner shrimp earlier this week. The shrimp has chosen the arch as his domain.

S1.jpg

I also got some very nice MochaVincis today! They are actually getting along quite well for now too.

MV2.jpg

Not sure what I should add next. I'm going to let the little guys figure things out for a bit before I do anything else.
How old is your tank?

OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Welp. Haven't updated this in a long while. A lot has changed, I have learned a ton, and have grown to love the hobby even when the going gets tough. I have had velvet wipe out all of my fish and have lost more corals than I'd really like to admit but for whatever reason I can't give it up. I have decided to go with a softy tank with some LPS and I have started to feel a lot more comfortable with my tank over the past couple of months as things have stabilized.

Equipment changes
- Replaced the Icecap 3k gyre with an MP10. The Icecap was putting out way too much flow even at its lowest setting. The MP10 has been wonderful.
- Rented a PAR meter and found my lighting to be way under PAR at 75 or less throughout the tank. Tank now has a pretty even spread of 100-250 PAR. Corals seem a lot happier.
- Added a BRS carbon reactor.
- Added a Tunze Osmolator auto top off.

Livestock changes
- Had 2 Mocha Vinci clowns, 3 blue reef chromis, white lined combtooh blenny. All died due to a velvet outbreak.
- Now have one clarkii clown, one juvenile captive bred yellow tang, bonded pair of flame hawks, and one red head solon fairy wrasse. With the exception of the clown everyone has been on their best behavior. Had 2 clarkiis but the one that became female decided one day she didn't like the male and it was quickly over for him. Bummer.

Corals
- Mainly softies. Have experimented with various LPS with mixed results.

Some update pics:
IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3465.JPG

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Mastiffsrule

King of the run on sentences and bad grammar
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi,

Almost at a year. Sorry about the loss but you made some corrections and looks great. I’ve gotta get a flame hawk, thanks or remind me. Cool fish. One thing I could mention is if you are at a point you are happy I would not add or make more changes. Tank looks great, focus on growing it.

OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
I think I let my tank get a bit cleaner than I had wanted and now I am starting my battle with dinos. Starting by reducing photo period by 2 hours. Don't want to black out just yet. I'm also feeding HEAVY. My goal is to get my nutrients back up. I am also going to dose vibrant twice a week. No water changes for at least a couple of weeks. I may siphon the top of the sand through a filter sock on my regular water change days and put the water back into the tank. Let's see how this goes.

TAP WATER FOR YOUR REEF TANK

• I do not use tap water

Votes: 564 67.5%
  • I use tap water

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • I did use tap water in the past before I had an RO unit

Votes: 127 15.2%
  • I use tap sometimes and ro/di sometimes

Votes: 15 1.8%
  • I would use tap water in an emergency

Votes: 90 10.8%
  • my tap water would kill my reef tank