!! Emerald Crabs Eat Bounce Bubbles ??

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Late last night I used my UV flashlight to snoop around with lights out. I was shocked to watch one of my Emerald Crabs tearing off bubbles from my Sunkist Bounce and chowing down. Just to be sure it was happening I painfully watched him eat a few.

The crazy part was when the crab tore off a large bubble from the Sunkist then used it’s leg to pierce the bubble and then claws to pull the bubble through it’s let, basically like pulling up your sleeve. It did this to STORE a bubble to eat at a later time ugh!

I was not aware Crabs ate bubbles from bounce mushrooms. Now I need to find a way to get them out.

If you notice your Bounce looking rough or missing bubbles you might Check Emeralds. There’s plenty of food in the tank, no reason to munch on the bubbles.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat acans as well? I did not know that. I only have one emerald in my tank . I will keep an eye on him for sure if that’s the case!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do understand some will say this is the crabs going after the corals/animals when they are already sick or dying. I believe this is true in some cases but when the crabs get larger they start ripping and going after pretty much whatever they want.

I also saw one of my emeralds grab a shrimp out of my carpet anenomes mouth. Little guys are opportunists!

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do understand some will say this is the crabs going after the corals/animals when they are already sick or dying. I believe this is true in some cases but when the crabs get larger they start ripping and going after pretty much whatever they want.

I also saw one of my emeralds grab a shrimp out of my carpet anenomes mouth. Little guys are opportunists!
My shrooms are very healthy atm, just missing a few bubbles.
5462FFC2-9A55-479A-8AD6-3BB077369F2D.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back