Emerald Crab

  • Thread starter Thread starter DEL 707
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DEL 707

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2024
Messages
146
Reaction score
37
Location
UK, Kent
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55l tank and I was thinking about getting an emerald crab. The tank has a bubble algae infestation, I would like to crab to eat it, but I'm not counting on that fact. I think it's a cool looking invert and if it helps clear up the algae, I'll consider that a nice bonus.

Is the crab going to pose any danger to my current livestock?
I have a yellow clown goby, blue neon goby and a tailspot blenny. Along with 2 fire shrimp.
I do have a clean up crew of red legged hermit crabs, nassarius snail and trochus snails.

Coral wise, I have some softies with a few LPS.

I am also on the lookout for a pitho crab. If buy chance I do get 1, would there be issues between the 2?
 
I have seen emerald crabs eat LPS, I would not put them in a reef tank personally. Mine all live in the refugium now. Check out pithos crabs instead. I have never seen one eat coral, and I regularly witness mine eating bubble algae: https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/pitho-crab
 
I've been trying to get 1, but it seems nearly impossible to find 1 in the UK.
I’ve heard many times that people have experienced them eating coral and I believe they do but I don’t believe it’s the norm. Ive had them in my tank for most of 20 years and they have never failed to rid my tank of bubble algae.
 
Emerald crabs can go rouge. For certain, they steal food from anemones.
 
I have had as many as 10 in my 70g and 20 in my 180. I dont have any issues with them picking on corals or fish.
 
Only starved emeralds will start eating corals. always leave some pellets and algae wafers around where they are. Some algae will also be appreciated.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new