Emerald crabs mating

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so - why is the emerald crab white? I had one that I thought was dead, but after months of being MIA, I saw it every day for a 3-4 days. It was white though, not green like it had been. I wasn't completely sure it was the same crab or a grown hitchhiker that came on some rock I didn't notice many months prior. After it was active for a few days, I found it dead. I couldn't reach it, but I could see it well enough to determine it wasn't just a molt. The only thing in my tank that could realistically have hurt it was probably a hermit crab.
I'll admit, I didn't look much into it. But I figured the white color, the sudden activity burst, and the death soon after were somehow related. Now I see your picture and it makes me rethink that assumption.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so - why is the emerald crab white? I had one that I thought was dead, but after months of being MIA, I saw it every day for a 3-4 days. It was white though, not green like it had been. I wasn't completely sure it was the same crab or a grown hitchhiker that came on some rock I didn't notice many months prior. After it was active for a few days, I found it dead. I couldn't reach it, but I could see it well enough to determine it wasn't just a molt. The only thing in my tank that could realistically have hurt it was probably a hermit crab.
I'll admit, I didn't look much into it. But I figured the white color, the sudden activity burst, and the death soon after were somehow related. Now I see your picture and it makes me rethink that assumption.
The whiter one was green too, but it hides out most of the time, which is why I assumed it lost its colour

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was like "why did they take a video of a emerald holding onto bubble algae? We all know they eat that stuff". Then the video goes further and he's holding her!
Love in the water, no bubble algae, but there is cyano that I'm treating which is why the zoas are closed up

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back