Emerald crabs or shrimp

butterwizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 gallon cube with a small pajama cardinal (he will be moved to a 55 when he gets bigger), some hermit crabs, 5 different corals, and the subject of this thread a emerald crab. I had a peppermint shrimp, but I believe the emerald crab got him. I also believe that the crab has start eating on the corals. I feed brine shrimp once a day and one krill about one time a week, with plenty of algae for him. I just want to see what everyone thinks about keeping an emerald crab or a shrimp. I really like the emerald crab but I don't want him to keep eating my hermit crabs and corals. If you think a shrimp what kind would everyone recommend?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald Crabs are omnivorous opportunistic feeders. Had two in one of my QTs to control bubble algae. Bubble algae is gone, but so is the smaller of the two crabs. The bigger survivor seems to have a smile on its face LOL .

Hermit Crabs are the same. Caught some in my display tank riding on the backs of snails which they then killed.

Coral Banded Shrimp are my favorite. Very colorful. Too slow to hurt healthy fish.

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it! My emeralds got rid of all my bubble algae but also killed 2 fish that slept in the rocks. Some say it's not possible but I saw one with my own eyes.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emerald was hanging out on my Cali tort and causing damage to the flesh.. I kept a close eye on him and was gonna remove it before the damage got worse and came home the next day to find it dead on a rock… no more for me lol..

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald Crabs are omnivorous opportunistic feeders. Had two in one of my QTs to control bubble algae. Bubble algae is gone, but so is the smaller of the two crabs. The bigger survivor seems to have a smile on its face LOL .

Hermit Crabs are the same. Caught some in my display tank riding on the backs of snails which they then killed.

Coral Banded Shrimp are my favorite. Very colorful. Too slow to hurt healthy fish.
Back in the day I saw the coral banded shrimp decimating the peppermint shrimp. No more coral banded for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back