Emergency backup

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two MP10s each plugged into their own battery back up.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have against generators. They are cheaper than a battery backup, and can run indefinitely if you keep them gassed up. Of course you have to have a little room and air circulation.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sensitive equipment, Neptune, Ecotech
Good point, but I haven't had any problems yet. I guess I can't recommend generators withou a warning. Of course there are some pricey ways to isolate the equipment from the generator.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I borrowed a quiet Honda for a planned outage. I ran an extension cord through the dog door to a power bar and plugged in what I wanted. The Apex had a blurp which I didn't like, it was unplugged. I may look into the new S1 return pump coming out from Ecotech, it's also battery back up. If you're not home to run the generator, it doesn't do you any good. Unless it's a whole house generator.

VP616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect Gyre plugged into an IceCap battery backup. Heater plugged into an APC. Pump lasts for hours. Heater, give or take an hour, maybe.

mibwb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what amount of time and money invested in your aquarium. Battery back-up is ok till you can get home....to hookup a generator. Spending a couple hundred dollars on a generator, with enough watts to run your whole system...is a no brainer. I learned the hard way.....a week with no power. Check pawn shops or Craigslist. One investment you won't be sorry about.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed one of the posters that DIY is not a polished look, but as long as it's done properly with hidden boxes, wires, etc.. It's not a bad solution for the money. Not everyone can afford commercial solutions hence we have options. I have a single ecotech backup to my MP40s and too cheap to add another, but that's not enough juice for anything longer. The whole house generator is on the todo list, but not there yet so maybe a backup car battery DIY will serve a middle point for now. Anyone with good DIY links to share to set up something like what's discussed here? I see myself making a quality wooden box properly stained to match the stand sitting in a back corner with battery, wiring, minder, etc all inside of it.. Haven't had a long power outage, but pro activeness is the point here.

Thanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back