EMERGENCY! I think I just nuked my tank

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed 30 ml of alk supplement accidentally when I was intending to dose magnesium… this just happened 10 minutes ago. It’s a 20 gallon tank. Im pretty sure I’m f*cked, but is there anything I can do to reduce alkalinity?? I’m done with the hobby if everything dies on me.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed 30 ml of alk supplement accidentally when I was intending to dose magnesium… this just happened 10 minutes ago. It’s a 20 gallon tank. Im pretty sure I’m f*cked, but is there anything I can do to reduce alkalinity?? I’m done with the hobby if everything dies on me.
Which Alk supplement?

Did you see any precipitation (snow or cloudiness) in the tank?

Have you measured the Alkalinity?

OP
OP
Z

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Alk supplement?

Did you see any precipitation (snow or cloudiness) in the tank?

Have you measured the Alkalinity?
Red Sea liquid supplement. I’m currently doing a water change with the 3 gallon of saltwater I have in hand

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea liquid supplement. I’m currently doing a water change with the 3 gallon of saltwater I have in hand
In that case it will increase Alk in a 20 gal tank by around 1dKh, and there is no need to panic or do anything at all.

OP
OP
Z

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case it will increase Alk in a 20 gal tank by around 1dKh, and there is no need to panic or do anything at all.
My Alk is currently at 13.1 and usually run it around 8.5. I’m currently making a 5 gallon batch of saltwater to do another water change with.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk is currently at 13.1 and usually run it around 8.5. I’m currently making a 5 gallon batch of saltwater to do another water change with.
If it's only going to go up by 1dkh just leave it now . 3 gallon water change be ok.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would take ~170ml of the Red Sea Alk supplement to raise the Alk by 4.5dKh (from 8.5 to 13) in a 20 gal tank.

In any event, a water change will do no harm :)

OP
OP
Z

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This is the stuff I used. Anyways I just did a 5 gallon water change and my Alk is now at 11.2 dkh. It’s still 2.5 dkh higher than before the overdose. I’ll probably leave it for the night now and maybe do another water change in the morning.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t do anything else. You’ll just make the problem worse. The tank will be fine. I’ve watched hundreds of people spike their alkalinity over the years and few, if any, have a problem

OP
OP
Z

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do anything else. You’ll just make the problem worse. The tank will be fine. I’ve watched hundreds of people spike their alkalinity over the years and few, if any, have a problem
I hope you’re right.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s high because it was just added. Give it a day and test again

I normally run 7 - 7.5 and accidentally spiked to 10 this week. Not a big deal everything is fine. I will just wait longer between dosing and let it slowly and naturally fall back to notmlam

OP
OP
Z

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s high because it was just added. Give it a day and test again

I normally run 7 - 7.5 and accidentally spiked to 10 this week. Not a big deal everything is fine. I will just wait longer between dosing and let it slowly and naturally fall back to notmlam
Huh. I was under the impression Alk swings were a bigger deal for corals. That’s good to hear. Maybe I’ll let it come down naturally instead of more water changes, so that I don’t spike it again from 11 back down to 8.5ish.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. I was under the impression Alk swings were a bigger deal for corals. That’s good to hear. Maybe I’ll let it come down naturally instead of more water changes, so that I don’t spike it again from 11 back down to 8.5ish.
i do not keep sps coral which is the kind most sensitive to alkalinity swings so maybe that’s why I have no ill effect.

Regardless, I add too much all for reef, and it continues to release approx 24 hours after dosing, and realize I somehow spiked and was shocked to see I was at 10dkh. My tank naturally consumes about .5 dkh a day, so I will just wait and test daily to make sure it is returning to normal, Then resume once I am around 7

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS-dominant 150g tank jumped by 3dKH and it’s fine. The last thing you want to do is reducing it by 3dKh in a day/two. Just let things settle on its own, doing WCs will help.

It should be ok - just make small changes and not make the situation worse.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t panic, you should be fine, either do a water change or just let it drop back down again.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This is the stuff I used. Anyways I just did a 5 gallon water change and my Alk is now at 11.2 dkh. It’s still 2.5 dkh higher than before the overdose. I’ll probably leave it for the night now and maybe do another water change in the morning.

From the math standpoint:

Liquid supplement: 1ml will raise the Alk level of 100 liters (25 gal) by 0.036 meq/l (0.1dKH)

Thus, 30 mL in 20 gallons will raise alk by about 3.8 dKH.

I agree that at 11 dKH, I'd just let it fall on its own.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the math standpoint:

Liquid supplement: 1ml will raise the Alk level of 100 liters (25 gal) by 0.036 meq/l (0.1dKH)

Thus, 30 mL in 20 gallons will raise alk by about 3.8 dKH.

I agree that at 11 dKH, I'd just let it fall on its own.
Ha, I assumed that the powder mixed to a 'stock solution' following the Red Sea instructions would be the same strength as the pre-prepared bottle.

Something learned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back