OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are that Humble is here so you are in great hands! Give him a few minutes to get caught up and I'm sure he will be able to give you wonderful advice!

Thanks again for your help! going to start dosing copper again to get the level up to therapeutic levels....

Salt

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are dealing with velvet then you want to achieve Cu therapeutic levels within 24 hours.

Thanks! is it best to get it there NOW or work my way up through tonight/tomorrow morning?

Salt

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! is it best to get it there NOW or work my way up through tonight/tomorrow morning?

Add small dosages of copper every few hours. Don't go to bed until minimal therapeutic has been achieved.

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I think I'm local to you, Salt. I was planning on taking my qt down this weekend since I'm maxed on fish right now. I just have 1 chromis in there, which I was planning on moving over this weekend. Anyway, I've been using a HOB similar to yours. You are more than welcome to take my dirty, well seeded filter sponge if you want it.
Also, you can usually find ammonia badges at the 'big' pet stores too- like in Fowlers Grove ;)

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've caught 3 out of 6, the others seem
Hey there, I think I'm local to you, Salt. I was planning on taking my qt down this weekend since I'm maxed on fish right now. I just have 1 chromis in there, which I was planning on moving over this weekend. Anyway, I've been using a HOB similar to yours. You are more than welcome to take my dirty, well seeded filter sponge if you want it.
Also, you can usually find ammonia badges at the 'big' pet stores too- like in Fowlers Grove ;)
t
Thanks Jahulu! I have a badge on the way and I've sacrificed 4 marine pure balls and a piece of live rock so I think I'm good on filtration right now.

Appreciate the offer!

I do need assistance catching the last of the fish! They're onto me!

Salt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to add that the bioballs should be inside the filter in a high flow area to be effective in reducing ammonia in the tank. If you are going to use the 22g gallon tub then an air stone driven sponge filter my work for you. I would place the sponge in a bowl for an hour (at least) with a bottle of bacteria to get it partially seeded. This may help. I would also switch out the plastic and live rock for PVC elbows for hiding, since it won't absorb the copper. Good luck! Sorry I was late :)

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to add that the bioballs should be inside the filter in a high flow area to be effective in reducing ammonia in the tank. If you are going to use the 22g gallon tub then an air stone driven sponge filter my work for you. I would place the sponge in a bowl for an hour (at least) with a bottle of bacteria to get it partially seeded. This may help. I would also switch out the plastic and live rock for PVC elbows for hiding, since it won't absorb the copper. Good luck! Sorry I was late :)

Thanks! What's the difference between PVC and plastic rocks?

Thanks
Salt

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Salt
PVC is a very hard, non porous plastic so is very chemical resistant. With other plastics, unless you know their composition, you don't know how they will react. In general though, hard and smooth is better than soft and textured.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Salt

PVC is a very hard, non porous plastic so is very chemical resistant. With other plastics, unless you know their composition, you don't know how they will react. In general though, hard and smooth is better than soft and textured.

^^ What Brew said! lol

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! Hoping to catch the other fish tomorrow at this point. How long will a tank of saltwater, not moving, with formalin last?

Salt

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Hoping to catch the other fish tomorrow at this point. How long will a tank of saltwater, not moving, with formalin last?

Salt
You have no flow in the DT with the remaining fish?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salt

You never want to leave a tank of saltwater stagnant. Keep the water moving constantly or throw it away and start over pretty much.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never want to leave a tank of saltwater stagnant. Keep the water moving constantly or throw it away and start over pretty much.

Thanks! DT is flowing I just have another small tank with saltwater/formalin in it, to dip the other fish when i catch them.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! DT is flowing I just have another small tank with saltwater/formalin in it, to dip the other fish when i catch them.

You can keep a small powerhead in there or airstone, but I wouldn't keep using the same formalin dip over and over again day after day. Using it for all the fish in one day would be fine, but you should probably throw that away and use a fresh container, water and formalin if you need to do another dip.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back