OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep a small powerhead in there or airstone, but I wouldn't keep using the same formalin dip over and over again day after day. Using it for all the fish in one day would be fine, but you should probably throw that away and use a fresh container, water and formalin if you need to do another dip.

Last question, when doing the Formalin dip, can I use fresh SW, or do I have to use tank water?

Thanks!
Salt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question, when doing the Formalin dip, can I use fresh SW, or do I have to use tank water?

Thanks!
Salt

Either. If the QT has meds of any kind in it already, then using fresh saltwater would be best to avoid interactions between the meds and formalin. Match salinity and temp and airate heavily throughout.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either. If the QT has meds of any kind in it already, then using fresh saltwater would be best to avoid interactions between the meds and formalin. Match salinity and temp and airate heavily throughout.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased UV sterilizer when I thought I had ich, but now I'm planning on removing it from my system and selling it. What's the best way to disinfect it? Run RODI/Vinegar through it for a day or two? Is that enough?

@melypr1985
@Brew12

Thanks!
salt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased UV sterilizer when I thought I had ich, but now I'm planning on removing it from my system and selling it. What's the best way to disinfect it? Run RODI/Vinegar through it for a day or two? Is that enough?

@melypr1985
@Brew12

Thanks!
salt

You can run some vinegar or even bleach through it. A Quick rinse with either, maybe a wipe down and then let it dry completely. It's been sterilized at that point.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is alive in the QT this morning!
That is fantastic! You really did great and I wouldn't have been worried at all if you hadn't gotten that false ammonia positive and added Prime. Just glad it seems to have worked out.

Typically you should disinfect with bleach. After cleaning with bleach you should dry it very well. Then it should be safe to use.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run some vinegar or even bleach through it. A Quick rinse with either, maybe a wipe down and then let it dry completely. It's been sterilized at that point.

Thanks! How much bleach would you say per gallon?

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fantastic! You really did great and I wouldn't have been worried at all if you hadn't gotten that false ammonia positive and added Prime. Just glad it seems to have worked out.

Typically you should disinfect with bleach. After cleaning with bleach you should dry it very well. Then it should be safe to use.

Thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! How much bleach would you say per gallon?
I typically do around a 1/2 cup per gallon. I consider that a back up to my drying it very well. Once it has been dry for a day or two you are good to go.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically do around a 1/2 cup per gallon. I consider that a back up to my drying it very well. Once it has been dry for a day or two you are good to go.

Thanks! I'll run a pump on it for 30 minutes or so in a couple gallons of water with bleach. Then do I need to physically dry it? Or just open it up and let it air out on it's own? I'm assuming it will need a RODI bath after a few days of drying? Sorry just don't want to risk selling this if it could infect another tank.

Salt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll run a pump on it for 30 minutes or so in a couple gallons of water with bleach. Then do I need to physically dry it? Or just open it up and let it air out on it's own? I'm assuming it will need a RODI bath after a few days of drying? Sorry just don't want to risk selling this if it could infect another tank.

Salt

simply let it air dry for a few days and it's good. If you want, you could run it through with regular water and Prime then let it air dry. But really just letting it dry completely would be all you need.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salt
I think it is great that you are concerned about this. Honestly though, whoever you sell it to will probably clean and disinfect it themselves before using it. I know I would. If someone doesn't clean stuff they buy before putting it in their system, it probably already has ich or other issues in it. :confused:

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is great that you are concerned about this. Honestly though, whoever you sell it to will probably clean and disinfect it themselves before using it. I know I would. If someone doesn't clean stuff they buy before putting it in their system, it probably already has ich or other issues in it. :confused:

Yea in my rush to use this on my system I just ran vinegar/RO through it, then RO, pulled out some large chunks of solidified salt (obv wasn't cleaned when it was taken off) out of it, and installed it.

salt

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great advice given here but I would like to add that if your fish have any open sores it is probably a good idea to also treat orally with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as metronidazole. This can be achieved through infusing food your self with a product like seachem metroplex or via a pre packaged solution such as new life spectrum hex shield. I have had a few bouts with velvet and brook over the years and have had fish on the brink pull through with the above treatments only to die a few days to a week later with nasty open sores. Someone reccomended this approach during my last outbreak and all the fish that pulled through the formalin/copper treat survived. Happy reefing and I hope the rest of your fish pull through.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your fish have any open sores it is probably a good idea to also treat orally with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as metronidazole.

I would only add that instead of metro, kanaplex or furan 2 would be better suited since metro only has partial antibiotic properties. Combining one of these two with Focus to bind and food is a good precaution but works slowly this way. It also needs to be fed for a minimum of ten days straight and most times longer than that for an active infection.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin has been found deceased in the DT, couldn't retrieve the body, so that makes two in the tank dead but un retrievable, Mandarin and Bi-color pseudo chromis. Yellow tang is still in DT can't catch him, although for some reason he looked alot better today, most spots are gone on him. Two blue Green chromis still in DT, can't catch them, they have appeared to be unaffected by this all along and are still lightning fast.

Hope to catch everyone by next week.

Salt

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only add that instead of metro, kanaplex or furan 2 would be better suited since metro only has partial antibiotic properties. Combining one of these two with Focus to bind and food is a good precaution but works slowly this way. It also needs to be fed for a minimum of ten days straight and most times longer than that for an active infection.

Thank you for clarifying a much better explanation in half the words [emoji23]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back