Emergency QT setup.

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for using the “emergency” prefix, but I’m stressed out and need some help. My clownfish developed ich today and I have to set up a qt for my fish. They are two clowns and a firefish. What are the steps. How big of a tank should I buy. Will 10 do it, they will be in their for 72days. Can I add spare rocks and bio balls from my sump to help with the ammonia, or will the medic kill the nitrifying bacteria. Here is the medic:
Kordon Rid Ich Plus #37656 - 16oz.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, should I add sand and more dry rock, i will also be adding some pvc and some rocks from my sump.

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do the same last year, I bought 20 gl tanks all inclusive from Amazon and had them in a day or two. You may want seperate quarantine and hospital tanks if you are using copper. I bought addition side hanging filter and both tanks have air stones. I used Sachem products to fast cycle as well as treat.

HT-no live rock, no cleaning crew, obviously, you can use pvc pipe or i bought typical fake insert so any fish can hide......also I just used natural light. No substrate I only set this tank up as needed and always have 20gl of water on hand. The idea is some parasite like ich will live in live rock and substrate.....lots of feed back on these forums about going fallow, you also may want to consider to address you DT

QT-is up all the time, some live rock and insert, I added a small uv filter. I also have cleaning crew.....essentially it is a DT where I put new fish to evaluate.

I was in a similar situation last year and lost half my fish and then went fallow for 80 days. It is worth it in the long run.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do the same last year, I bought 20 gl tanks all inclusive from Amazon and had them in a day or two. You may want seperate quarantine and hospital tanks if you are using copper. I bought addition side hanging filter and both tanks have air stones. I used Sachem products to fast cycle as well as treat.

HT-no live rock, no cleaning crew, obviously, you can use pvc pipe or i bought typical fake insert so any fish can hide......also I just used natural light. No substrate I only set this tank up as needed and always have 20gl of water on hand. The idea is some parasite like ich will live in live rock and substrate.....lots of feed back on these forums about going fallow, you also may want to consider to address you DT

QT-is up all the time, some live rock and insert, I added a small uv filter. I also have cleaning crew.....essentially it is a DT where I put new fish to evaluate.

I was in a similar situation last year and lost half my fish and then went fallow for 80 days. It is worth it in the long run.
I only need the tank I have extra lights rocks filters, etc. will I need a 20g? I feel like it would be much easier to do WC on a 10.
Will the medic kill the bacteria? If I add nitrifying bacteria from my DT sump will it cycle my tank?

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gl is enough, 20s were just cheep and my fish are larger. You have a couple of threads goings. I feel your pain, but do what you can now and get a HT going. If you have 5 gl bucket, get the fish in the bucket with an air stone and start treating with copper, then worry about the HT.

Then read up on disease and fallow. Just do what you can for now then prepare for the next time, or better still preventive measures

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gl is enough, 20s were just cheep and my fish are larger. You have a couple of threads goings. I feel your pain, but do what you can now and get a HT going. If you have 5 gl bucket, get the fish in the bucket with an air stone and start treating with copper, then worry about the HT.

Then read up on disease and fallow. Just do what you can for now then prepare for the next time, or better still preventive measures
Thanks. Im a little confused, what does HT mean?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back