Emergency wood floors got wet over night

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone, I need some guidance and assistance. My overflow for my protein skimmer ended up having a small leak in it but overnight it got my wood floors wet. Does anyone have any experience of what to do to make sure wood floors don’t get 100% ruined when this happens I see some discoloration And I have the big trying to dry up as quickly as possible but it has been a couple hours. As of now I have used a towel and I have put a fan underneath the stand by Fish Tank to try to push some air through is there anything else I should do?

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had wood floors growing up and they were surprising sturdy and resistant.

IF you have the newer stuff that is particle board that snaps together with a false finish on it, try your best to keep it dry, you can't refinish that stuff. Hardware stores and online you can buy moisture absorbing bags or if by chance you throw all the desiccants ina drawer like I do, pile them all on top of the area.
Try to get the moisture out fast but not with any kind of heat applied.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with above, and/or it might depend what kind of wood, or how old? I have wood floors in the living room, and I have had countless leaks and spills and accidents (if my wife only knew....) and our floors still good.

We did need to replace our cork flooring in the kitchen/laundry room after a couple times of forgetting to turn the rodi off at night. So again, I think it depends what kind of wood.

OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with above, and/or it might depend what kind of wood, or how old? I have wood floors in the living room, and I have had countless leaks and spills and accidents (if my wife only knew....) and our floors still good.

We did need to replace our cork flooring in the kitchen/laundry room after a couple times of forgetting to turn the rodi off at night. So again, I think it depends what kind of wood.
These are true hardwood floors probably about 20 years old. I was able to get them dry, but this is how they look now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 45

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always tell my self, if I drop my skimmer cup on my way to emptying it, I'm moving. lol

I've had saltwater on my wood floors plenty of times, I run a dehumidifier and fans in the room anyway but pointing them at the floors helps.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back