Emergency!!!

TenWings5007130

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this powder brown tang today from divers din and ever since I put him in he's been breathing really heavily and leaning to one side and I'm worried he's sick, does anyone know??

Attachments

• 20240326_195958.mp4
    62.8 MB
  • 20240326_195958.mp4
    62.8 MB
  • 20240326_200922.mp4
    25.1 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic
I'd suggest reading through the link below (particularly the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) to figure out what info you can share here with the #fishmedic to get the best diagnosis and treatment advice possible:
Also, for future reference with these sorts of issues, posting in the forum linked below can get you help faster:

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately a lot of people can’t see that video format, try uploading it to youtube then posting it here. in the mean time, what are your current parameters? was he breathing heavy before you put him in your tank? has he been quarantined?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got this powder brown tang today from divers din and ever since I put him in he's been breathing really heavily and leaning to one side and I'm worried he's sick, does anyone know??
This fish is moribund and question is, How did you acclimate it and for how long?
Was this from California or WI facility?
Moribund is a point where a fish is struggling and may or may not eat normal in its state but I have seen Few fish bounce back. You can lower the white intensity a little and add aeration via air stone to relax it.

OP
OP
T

TenWings5007130

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately a lot of people can’t see that video format, try uploading it to youtube then posting it here. in the mean time, what are your current parameters? was he breathing heavy before you put him in your tank? has he been quarantined?
I got him from the live aquaria divers din and they are quarantined there and he was breathing heavily when I got him, my temperature is 78.9 and salinity is 1.026 and my ph is about 8.0

OP
OP
T

TenWings5007130

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is moribund and question is, How did you acclimate it and for how long?
Was this from California or WI facility?
Moribund is a point where a fish is struggling and may or may not eat normal in its state but I have seen Few fish bounce back. You can lower the white intensity a little and add aeration via air stone to relax it.
I acclimated it for about an hour to an hour and half and I dripped tubes it and it was from WI

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimated it for about an hour to an hour and half and I dripped tubes it and it was from WI
Depending on shipping time, once the water is exposed to air the ammonia can skyrocket. In these cases drip acclimation can actually be bad.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im not a fan of drip method but many do well with method. Was water cold when it arrived?
Additionally, did you check and match salinity of bag with that of intended tank?
As for Quarantine, I would Not rely on their QT but rather assume the fish has something and do even a 14 day QT on your own, Regarding acclimation again, I should mention reason it's important is fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia which lowers the pH of the water in the bag, and in turn makes the ammonia toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia which then raises the pH of the water in the bag, and in turn makes the residual ammonia very toxic to the fish.
Sometimes, the fish will die right in the bag

OP
OP
T

TenWings5007130

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a fan of drip method but many do well with method. Was water cold when it arrived?
Additionally, did you check and match salinity of bag with that of intended tank?
As for Quarantine, I would Not rely on their QT but rather assume the fish has something and do even a 14 day QT on your own, Regarding acclimation again, I should mention reason it's important is fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia which lowers the pH of the water in the bag, and in turn makes the ammonia toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia which then raises the pH of the water in the bag, and in turn makes the residual ammonia very toxic to the fish.
Sometimes, the fish will die right in the bag
The water wasn't cold it was probably about 75ish and I wish I wasn't just now learning about the ammonia with drip acclimation. Now that the lights are off he's up so I'm hoping he'll be ok tomorrow

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the specific gravity of the -shipping water- in the bag

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Iv
The water wasn't cold it was probably about 75ish and I wish I wasn't just now learning about the ammonia with drip acclimation. Now that the lights are off he's up so I'm hoping he'll be ok tomorrow
Ive seen fish arrive and in this state and next morning just fine. In the future keep what was mentioned in mind and assure the salinity of bag (which I prefer transferred to a clean container) is equal to the tank Prior to release

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What comes to mind, seeing him so wobbly and going upside down is a swim blatter problem. I believe that bad water quality (which the water in the bag might was?) and some added stress could cause this problem. I had a Malawi cichlid once that had swim blatter issues and I fixed him by letting him swim in a very shallow plexiglass container so that he didn't had to do so much effort to stay upright. Not saying this is what the tang has but to me it sure looks like it... Hope he pulls through! Powder browns are beautiful!

OP
OP
T

TenWings5007130

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What comes to mind, seeing him so wobbly and going upside down is a swim blatter problem. I believe that bad water quality (which the water in the bag might was?) and some added stress could cause this problem. I had a Malawi cichlid once that had swim blatter issues and I fixed him by letting him swim in a very shallow plexiglass container so that he didn't had to do so much effort to stay upright. Not saying this is what the tang has but to me it sure looks like it... Hope he pulls through! Powder browns are beautiful!
The water in the bag was pretty bad

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water in the bag was pretty bad
Hopefully it is just that, he swam in dirty, poor quality water and now that he is a tank with well aerated water he will get better over time, like Vetteguy said. And the only thing the tang has is a bad hangover in a few hours ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back