EMERGENCY

InfamousRozay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if you have a return nozzle in there but if you do, point it right below the surface of the water. If you have a air stone drop it in, and get to the store for a cheap powerhead

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open the tank lids, and open a window.

Homes have pretty low oxygen levels compared to fresh outside air...

Consider getting a cheap uv sterilizer and it would clear it up in a day or two, otherwise it will probably be a week to a month - as my friend has been experiencing for several weeks, until he threw a quick uv in there.

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open the tank lids, and open a window.

Homes have pretty low oxygen levels compared to fresh outside air...

Consider getting a cheap uv sterilizer and it would clear it up in a day or two, otherwise it will probably be a week to a month - as my friend has been experiencing for several weeks, until he threw a quick uv in there.
Windows opened, tank is a 25 gallon, have any uv sterilizer recommendations?

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Windows opened, tank is a 25 gallon, have any uv sterilizer recommendations?

Cheapest one you can find lol.

Petco sells em if you want one today, but it's like 60 bucks. LFS might have a used one for less, or one of your reefing buddies.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this was the parameters that I checked just now
If your fish and nem are in the qt tank, the next item is to get rid of the bacteria bloom in the main display tank. You will need a power head in both tanks to keep thing healthy. Start with that. Are you dosing anything in the main tank such as NoPoX?

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish and nem are in the qt tank, the next item is to get rid of the bacteria bloom in the main display tank. You will need a power head in both tanks to keep thing healthy. Start with that. Are you dosing anything in the main tank such as NoPoX?
Not dosing anything but ordered an ice cap skimmer as well as a uv sterilizer from Amazon that’ll get here tomorrow. I’m thinking there must be silicate coming from my rodi water and that was the reason for the major bacteria bloom as I introduced so much more silicate with the 25% water change I did.

Hollywood Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take things out of your mainsystem, especially a powerhead to put into the QT. Kinda defeats the purpose of the QT, you can introduce things into the QT. You want the QT sterile. Get a cheap pump for the QT and get your NERO back in your system ASAP.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dosing anything but ordered an ice cap skimmer as well as a uv sterilizer from Amazon that’ll get here tomorrow. I’m thinking there must be silicate coming from my rodi water and that was the reason for the major bacteria bloom as I introduced so much more silicate with the 25% water change I did.
No silicate would do diatoms bloom. New tanks have that anyway at one point.
During fighting dinos I have even dosed silicates and actually the effect was opposite. Day after the first dose the water become crisp

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever a tank is cloudy folks always seem to think it's a bacterial bloom. It could equally easily be some kind of precipitation. I am not saying it can't be a bloom. I wonder if the ALk or mag was way high or off in this new salt mix causing it to cause a reaction similar to Kalk

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever a tank is cloudy folks always seem to think it's a bacterial bloom. It could equally easily be some kind of precipitation. I am not saying it can't be a bloom. I wonder if the ALk or mag was way high or off in this new salt mix causing it to cause a reaction similar to Kalk
The fact that the fish were at the surface looking for air as described by the OP, I believe it is pretty safe to say it is a bacterial bloom. Precipitate wouldn’t cause the fish to be in need of oxygen. IMO, the details provided by the OP lead to a bacteria bloom.

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that the fish were at the surface looking for air as described by the OP, I believe it is pretty safe to say it is a bacterial bloom. Precipitate wouldn’t cause the fish to be in need of oxygen. IMO, the details provided by the OP lead to a bacteria bloom.
Am using Red Sea's blue bucket as well and have been on the same bucket of salt for the past month with no issues whatsoever. Clowns were at the top and had lost most of their color/turning paler/ whiter when I found them which I believe is a sign of low oxygen.

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No silicate would do diatoms bloom. New tanks have that anyway at one point.
During fighting dinos I have even dosed silicates and actually the effect was opposite. Day after the first dose the water become crisp
Do diatoms not eat silicate? Or is there something else they east, I ask because there were more diatoms on the rocks than the sand so it makes me believe they were eating something in the water as well and the bloom happened right after a big water change. Also did not see any kind of other algae, the diatoms were brown and when I used a turkey baster would blow off like dust so pretty positive they were diatoms.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back