310g Peninsula Build

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never done a build thread before but as I start my next tank, I think it's time to finally document my build and share what I'm doing.

I currently have a RSR525 that has been running for the last 2 years since I moved back to Arizona. I have been reefing for over 30 years. My first invertebrates were mushrooms that i kept alive with plant grow lights. I then went through fluorescent tubes until I found my first real reef lights, 100w 5500k MH pendants. Couple of years down the road and 200g tank with two 400w 10,000k pendants. These things were beast and could grow anything.

I was out of reefing for several years focusing on breeding cichlids for profit and a real time job that included maintaining commercial 5k systems.

Upgrading from the reefer for two reasons. 1, I'm out of room, I have way too many fish and corals already. 2. Hate the reefer stand. I have a V1 stand so no leveling feet and even though it on a concrete slab has settled way too much for my liking.

Tank - Glass Cages 60"x40"x30"
Stand - Framing Tech aluminum stand
Return - Abyzz 200 (4,400gph) run through 2x VCA 1" returns
Overflow - Synergy Ghost V2
Skimmer - Royal Exclusiv BK 250
Sump - Advanced Acrylics 50"x24"16"
Flow - 4x Mp40s on back and 2x 350fx Gyres on front (connected like Rico)
UV - Pentair 40w
Calcium Reactor - Geo's Reef 818 and 618 secondary chamber. Dosed with Ecotech Versa.
Nutrient Control - Pax Bellum ARID N24
Media - Royal Exclusiv
Live Rock - 60# Pukani rock (current rock), 80# of Marco rocks
Sand - Tropic Eden Reef Flakes
Full Apex including Trident and two DOS. 1 DOS will be AWC and the other will be aminos and Flatworm Stop
Lighting - 10x Kessil 360x and 4x Reefbrite Lumi light Pros and x2 250w MH for. RB
Salt - TM Pro

At this point the tank is ordered and paid for, all equipment listed except the skimmer is either on use on current tank or sitting in the famous pile of reef gear.

The Abyzz will power the returns (2,500gph), reactors (300pgh) and Pax Bellum (300 gph)
The UV will be on a loop run with a Vector M1 turned way down.

Fish list that I will be moving over:
6 x Dispar Anthias
3 x Square Spot Anthias
4 x Green Chromis
1 x Clown Tang
1x Tomini Tang
1 x Yellow Tang
1x Lineatus Wrasse
2x Flame Wrasse
1x Pinetail Wrasse
1x Red Sea Zebra Lyretail Angel
1x Japanese Swallow Tail Angel

My blue throat trigger and pair of flame angels may be traded off. I have a copper band and purple tang in another tang that will also come over.
I would like to add a pair of Majestic Angels and Moorish Idol.

I have about 65 SPS colonies and frags that will be slowly moved over as the tank matures. I won't rush anything.

The biggest outstanding question is how to aquascape using old and new rock while not pulling old tank down right away and should I remove SPS from the current rock so I can place it where I want it in the new tank,

image_360x.jpg
XRySqF3RSJKNtof5UaJA%g.jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 8.01.19 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
StevePhx

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been slow going on the build the last few months with the COVID crap going on. I have managed to get the stand, skimmer and most of the equipment.

The sump is delayed due to being built in California and the tank was delivered but had an issue so is being rebuilt.

Decided to go with the Royal Exclusiv BK 250 Deluxe. This is the tank that should take me to retirement so want gear that can last 10 years. The thing is built very well. Just taking the skimmer cup off, you can hear the quality in the way it spins. I'm upgrading from a Vertex which are well built but this is so much better in the little details.

Stand is 8020 from Framing Tech. They were amazing to work with and have them helping design the canopy for me as well. Took me a few hours to build the stand but this thing is built like a tank. Ordered my starboard top and bottom from them as well. The cut the leg holes for the base so exact it took 4 of us to slip it on perfectly but once everything is done i can seal the joins and never have water slide under the stand.

I went with Glass Cages for the aquarium. Spent an hour discussing Glass Cages with Joe Munden and the reputation of the company. I really like his approach to the customer and the amount of commercial clients gave me confidence.

Unfortunately the holes for the overflow were drilled off. You can see in the picture, the bulkheads just won't make it into the holes. Called Joe on his cell phone and his response was, "you aren't going to like what am going to say". I was ready for a fight but his first and only response was, I'm building you a new tank and oh btw you can do what you want with the tank you already have! That's the type of service we all want and should reward with our business!

Good news, I'm not rushing this build. Even without the tank mistake, I would still be waiting since the sump is delayed and I refuse to be that person to get upset over Covid delays.

Still need to get mixing station built and canopy built by happy with the progress.

B63DC179-9631-43AB-B4F3-DD7BB296D9F3.jpg +IXG9ImoRomDmAurJAnYUQ.jpg E4486FE6-DD43-40FE-AF30-034F272F5750.jpg BM+y%Ah7Qgislq1+GN1fJw.jpg 0%rx5EMKRlCccfBY6ermdg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
StevePhx

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered two 40" x 32" pieces of starboard to create my new equipment cabinet.

Going to have one piece with all my gear and one piece a few inches behind that to hide the mess a taels and protect them from any splashes. Abyss and Red Dragon will have the power bricks on the outside. Will have bricks for x4 Mp40s, x2 Gyres and Votech M1. I may have to install a small fan to keep them cool.

I've drilled starboard with no issues but I've never cut it before. I want to cut a spot for my Trident to stick out. Has anyone cut their Starboard before? Any tips? What blade did you use?

1E079923-B70A-4FAE-879F-B97EB3ED839A.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
StevePhx

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided on the Cabinet Door Store to wrap my stand. I purchased pressure fittings from Framing Tech that slide right into the stand and screw onto the panels.

They can do the exact width and height I need and can also do shorter sizes to wrap the canopy that Framing Tech is designing.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are u gonna do with the first tank?

Can’t wait to see this

reefez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
impressive
all that equipment Dream Tank
love the 80/20 stand just finish building mine this weekend gotta agree its built like a tank little pricey but hoping this will be my last build for the next 10 plus years as well lol
plus 1 on the equipment up grades the Abyzz pump warrantees are great at 10 years but for what we pay for them id expect nothing less lol
congrats this is a build follow

OP
OP
StevePhx

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update and question.

First picture is a new tank coming out of Glass Cages. They are producing some amazing tanks with the new leadership team.

Second picture is a copy of my canopy design. The deflection is over 1” right now which obviously won’t work. I could rest one end on the tank. I was concerned about the weight of the canopy resting on the tank but realized we put much heavier canopies on our tanks.

The tank is in a room with 20’ ceiling so suspending a canopy isn’t an option. Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas on how to mount a canopy? It will hold x12 360x and x6 60” T5s.

6A0744B3-4A5D-4322-BC64-DEB8E6C2BD12.png 1C7F88DB-9CDA-4DDA-A616-C92ADBB79230.jpeg

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update and question.

First picture is a new tank coming out of Glass Cages. They are producing some amazing tanks with the new leadership team.

Second picture is a copy of my canopy design. The deflection is over 1” right now which obviously won’t work. I could rest one end on the tank. I was concerned about the weight of the canopy resting on the tank but realized we put much heavier canopies on our tanks.

The tank is in a room with 20’ ceiling so suspending a canopy isn’t an option. Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas on how to mount a canopy? It will hold x12 360x and x6 60” T5s.

6A0744B3-4A5D-4322-BC64-DEB8E6C2BD12.png 1C7F88DB-9CDA-4DDA-A616-C92ADBB79230.jpeg
Thanks so much @StevePhx, we are having a blast innovating at Glass Cages. Searching ways to better serve everyones journey. Passion Rules!

OP
OP
StevePhx

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t updated this in awhile.

Light rack on order from Framing Tech. It will be adjustable in height as well as tilt up if I need to have full access to the tank.

The tank is being finished up now. Joe at Glass Cages has been amazing to work with.

The sump has been the biggest delay. Advanced Acrylics being in California has been affected pretty hard by COVID and the shut downs. Not concerned because I know it will be an amazing sump once complete.

As most of us do, I’ve made a ton of changes since this build started.

Lighting has been upgraded to:
36” 250w Reefbrite MHs running 14k bulbs
X10 Kessil 360s
X4 60” T5s

I should have no issues getting 150 to 200 par 30” deep. I will probably run the halides for 2 to 4 hours a day at most and being Reefbrites I can dim them as needed.

C7C79510-388D-4DB9-A480-06F55BC716B4.jpeg 74660D18-4298-43C1-A4BE-C589E372CB44.jpeg 910131A6-4A89-484D-BE1B-0B2D0CC4D33B.png

OP
OP
StevePhx

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have my current tank running strong. Started dosing Andre’s Reef Moonshiner supplements to get even better color.

Added a few killer pieces recently with the Jason Fox live sale. I have a Jolt and Blow Torch that are just starting to settle in.

B25220C9-2305-4375-9284-8F9F9310C778.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
Did I read that correctly? 10 x Kessil a360x's?

I would almost argue that would be enough. If you are concerned with depth the narrow lens is utterly amazing. Spectrum / color wise it is the best light that mimic'd my 175 Watt MH's. If you haven't maybe fire them up once the canopy gets to you and see how they do. Could always borrow or rent a par meter or pick up a Seneye. They are good little devices especially since they can also alert you should sump water level changes.

Nice design and attention to detail. Glass cages are popular right now and rightly so based on all of the customer feedback. As far as Ca goes, yeah. We are having another round and personally speaking it isn't going to get any better anytime soon. Welcome to the new world.

But again - really nice. I love my kessil's and they are over a 30" tall tank.

OP
OP
StevePhx

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Yes, X8 360x and x2 360w

I run x3 360x over my 60”x 24” tank and have to be careful not to turn them up too high.

I agree, the Kessils would have been enough, that was my original plan. The MHs are more for fun as I really love them and throwing a Home Wrecker under the halides will be interesting to see how it reacts.

I have a few of the narrow reflectors now and once everything is setup, I’m going to take par readings with and without them to see which works better.

Did I read that correctly? 10 x Kessil a360x's?

I would almost argue that would be enough. If you are concerned with depth the narrow lens is utterly amazing. Spectrum / color wise it is the best light that mimic'd my 175 Watt MH's. If you haven't maybe fire them up once the canopy gets to you and see how they do. Could always borrow or rent a par meter or pick up a Seneye. They are good little devices especially since they can also alert you should sump water level changes.

Nice design and attention to detail. Glass cages are popular right now and rightly so based on all of the customer feedback. As far as Ca goes, yeah. We are having another round and personally speaking it isn't going to get any better anytime soon. Welcome to the new world.

But again - really nice. I love my kessil's and they are over a 30" tall tank.

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks!

Yes, X8 360x and x2 360w

I run x3 360x over my 60”x 24” tank and have to be careful not to turn them up too high.

I agree, the Kessils would have been enough, that was my original plan. The MHs are more for fun as I really love them and throwing a Home Wrecker under the halides will be interesting to see how it reacts.

I have a few of the narrow reflectors now and once everything is setup, I’m going to take par readings with and without them to see which works better.

Sounds like a plan :).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back