Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment update:

Removed calcium reactor
Removed UV sterilizer
Removed Pax Bellum
Removed 2 MP60s and 4 MP40s

Started using sodium hydroxide via doser controlled by Trident
Started running ATO through Reef Octopus kalk reactor.
Started using Klir drop in filter roller
Started using Kessil fuge light over a refugium.
Added 3 Panta Rhei Hydrowizards
Added 4 Neptune Wavs

The kalk and sodium hydroxide now keep my pH between 8.2 and 8.5. By allowing the Trident to control the dosing of my sodium hydroxide I don’t have fluctuations due to changes in evaporation.

The calcium reactor was lowering my pH too much and the lack of Reborn left poor choices for media.

The UV was just overkill with ozone on the tank and again too much maintenance.

The Pax Bellum just didn’t work well and had to be cleaned and emptied every other week. I’m now growing numerous type of algae in my refugium and have swarms of pods in the tank.

The MP60s and 40s have just become junk now. I have used them since the square control boxes and white casing but they just don’t last. The Hydrowizards are powerful and will last for years. I believe in the end, I will save money on the Hydrowizards versus replacing the MPs every few years.

The goal of everything was to make the tank easier to maintain and more consistent in operation. I am a gear junky and just threw everything cool I could at the tank. I realized it didn’t make the tank easier or better. Just more crap.

If there is anything to be learned from my tank, I love gear and I know Apex and Kessil make my tank go but I just added too much crap to be the coolest tank out there while the reality is a kalk reactor will do a better job than all the fancy gear.

SPS are growing quickly. Clownfish are laying eggs. Can’t keep LPS due to my semilarvatus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StevePhx

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude! semilarvatus are beautiful! never seen one in a reef tank, so it just goes for your lps?
Yep and really just euphyllia.

He won’t touch anything else.

Side benefit of them, he will devour vermited snail if I crack open the tubes.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment update:

Removed calcium reactor
Removed UV sterilizer
Removed Pax Bellum
Removed 2 MP60s and 4 MP40s

Started using sodium hydroxide via doser controlled by Trident
Started running ATO through Reef Octopus kalk reactor.
Started using Klir drop in filter roller
Started using Kessil fuge light over a refugium.
Added 3 Panta Rhei Hydrowizards
Added 4 Neptune Wavs

The kalk and sodium hydroxide now keep my pH between 8.2 and 8.5. By allowing the Trident to control the dosing of my sodium hydroxide I don’t have fluctuations due to changes in evaporation.

The calcium reactor was lowering my pH too much and the lack of Reborn left poor choices for media.

The UV was just overkill with ozone on the tank and again too much maintenance.

The Pax Bellum just didn’t work well and had to be cleaned and emptied every other week. I’m now growing numerous type of algae in my refugium and have swarms of pods in the tank.

The MP60s and 40s have just become junk now. I have used them since the square control boxes and white casing but they just don’t last. The Hydrowizards are powerful and will last for years. I believe in the end, I will save money on the Hydrowizards versus replacing the MPs every few years.

The goal of everything was to make the tank easier to maintain and more consistent in operation. I am a gear junky and just threw everything cool I could at the tank. I realized it didn’t make the tank easier or better. Just more crap.

If there is anything to be learned from my tank, I love gear and I know Apex and Kessil make my tank go but I just added too much crap to be the coolest tank out there while the reality is a kalk reactor will do a better job than all the fancy gear.

SPS are growing quickly. Clownfish are laying eggs. Can’t keep LPS due to my semilarvatus.
Normally how it goes! I can’t believe how much crap there is today and how many people buy into it! This little 40gallon tank I built for a guy has over 8k of controllers and dosers and reactors like wow!! He’s having nothing but problems with that thing lol.. I’m old school and got a skimmer and nothing else haha! I top off with kalk and that’s it! I’m sps dominated and it’s always worked for me with amazing results…

OP
OP
StevePhx

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

IMG_1235.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back