Emperor angelfish compatibility

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a juvenile emperor angelfish in my 220 gallons mixed reef tank. So far so good, he nips at SPS from time to time and Zoas, but not doing any big damages. I have 2 autofeeders feeding 2 sizes of NLS pellets throughout the day. I also feed 1 cube of music, 1 cube of Artemis brine shrimps, 1 cube of rotifers ,1 cube on cyclops and 1/2 a sheet of algea per Day.
After watching ReefMan's YouTube video about the benefits of small fish like gobies in natural reefs, I want to test out that theory in my reef tank.
My question is:
Will my emperor pose a threat to them as he grows?
ReefMan's YouTube video ⬇️

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a mixed bag, my experience with the emporer is that they are mostly aggressive to fish that may challenge their hierarchy. I have seen them mostly leave non challenging individuals alone, not like triggers that seem to attack for sport. With that being said, new additions may be a target whether they are threatening or not. So with an established emporer it may be difficult adding new additions, this fish is usually best as a last addition. Maybe try a few at once in an acclimation box.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a mixed bag, my experience with the emporer is that they are mostly aggressive to fish that may challenge their hierarchy. I have seen them mostly leave non challenging individuals alone, not like triggers that seem to attack for sport. With that being said, new additions may be a target whether they are threatening or not. So with an established emporer it may be difficult adding new additions, this fish is usually best as a last addition. Maybe try a few at once in an acclimation box.
But you would not consider them "predators"

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will aggressively go after Anything added after them .

Most are good with sps and will pick at lps
Duncan’s , favia , acan , were all favourites for mine . Xenia , palys , sps were all safe

Upvote 0
OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Duncan’s , favia , acan , were all favourites for mine . Xenia , palys , sps were all safe
So you would advice against it?

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you would not consider them "predators"

What are "predators", most fish except the pure herbivores, are predators in a sense. Are humans still predators, although most of us buy our meat in a grocery store rather than hunting for it.

The term "predator" in the sense of this hobby is very diluted. I keep true predator tanks, meaning I feed live food, I even keep a flame hawkfish as a true predator, hunting live food.

The emporer is an aggressive fish which mainly shows his aggression toward fish that may challenge him. When this fish is kept in a large enough tank with fish that can hold their own or have submitted to their dominance, this is a great fish. They usually don't go out their way to attack fish such as gobies and the like. But adding anything new after this fish is established, sometimes presents a problem.

Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine does not. Maybe for a few minutes. When I put a smaller queen it was testy for a while. There was already a pair of flame angles in the tank. The flame was the bigger bully to the queen. All peaceful now

Upvote 0
OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does not. Maybe for a few minutes. When I put a smaller queen it was testy for a while. There was already a pair of flame angles in the tank. The flame was the bigger bully to the queen. All peaceful now
My emperor get's bullied by my clownfish from time to time and bullies my morish idol from time to time. Would you say that I have a mild temper emperor angelfish or an aggressive one? Does your emperor bully any fish from time to time?

Upvote 0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is pretty mellow also. Added a smaller asfur after the emperor and there was very little aggression. The challenge always with these kinds of questions is that fish are individuals. Some more mellow, others more aggressive. Which do you have?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is pretty mellow also. Added a smaller asfur after the emperor and there was very little aggression. The challenge always with these kinds of questions is that fish are individuals. Some more mellow, others more aggressive. Which do you have?
It's hard to say, as I don't really know what is the reference for mellow and aggressive. Minä get's bullied by my clownfish from time to time and ingored by all the other "large" fish (purple tang, hippo tang, fox face). Doesn't bully anyone (even my firefish) but does chase my morish idol from time to time at feeding times

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say, as I don't really know what is the reference for mellow and aggressive. Minä get's bullied by my clownfish from time to time and ingored by all the other "large" fish (purple tang, hippo tang, fox face). Doesn't bully anyone (even my firefish) but does chase my morish idol from time to time at feeding times

Sounds mellow, if you already have firefish and there's no prob, I don't see a prob with gobies. If anything I would think a juvi emporer and a purple tang would get into it; you may have more worry with the purple tang. Just be careful how you introduce into the tank.

Upvote 0

bdupuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has no problems with any other fish. Actually my powder brown tang is the most aggressive fish in the tank. The emp is the boss though. He will grunt to get fish out of his way.

As for corals, I have leathers, a Duncan, GSP, mushrooms, a Condy and mini carpet nems. Doesn’t bother any of them. Although he will destroy zoas and anthilia. I don’t really keep SPS so cant speak to that. Again just my experience. CE40C23D-C4CC-4236-BBB5-FBFA8BFF50E8.jpeg DF542637-4ADA-4AD0-BB83-862540903877.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has no problems with any other fish. Actually my powder brown tang is the most aggressive fish in the tank. The emp is the boss though. He will grunt to get fish out of his way.

As for corals, I have leathers, a Duncan, GSP, mushrooms, a Condy and mini carpet nems. Doesn’t bother any of them. Although he will destroy zoas and anthilia. I don’t really keep SPS so cant speak to that. Again just my experience. CE40C23D-C4CC-4236-BBB5-FBFA8BFF50E8.jpeg DF542637-4ADA-4AD0-BB83-862540903877.jpeg
Beautiful fish
How long have you had him for?
Also what size tank is he in?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emperor was my 5th fish of 14 and hasn’t bothered any of them my trigger on the other hand tries to eat all small fish. Unsuccessfully so far thankfully.
Good to hear. What kind of trigger do you have (out of curiousity). I'm thinking about adding a clowntrigger at some point down the line

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. What kind of trigger do you have (out of curiousity). I'm thinking about adding a clowntrigger at some point down the line

Your sticks(sps) will be kindling when that clown trigger matures.(hahaha) Whatever you hear about these types of triggers in a reef, unless they have been there for a while(couple of years) and are at a mature size(at least 6"); all these reports are pre-mature and in the long run it almost always ends badly. There are obviously exceptions, especially in the case of very large tanks, and fish in end are individuals. In the end it is your acceptance of reward vs risk, but please don't be fooled by those reporting of the model citizen. Dig deeper and you will find he's 3.5" and has been in there just a few months.

Upvote 0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Emperor (almost fully mature) in a 150 FOWLER with a Talbot and two Yellow Tail Damsels, and he hardly pays them any mind. There is not a lot of rock work, so I guess he 'could' be chasing them all around the tank if he was aggressive, but again, no problem. (Your mileage may vary.) ;Joyful

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back