Emperor angelfish compatibility

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a juvenile emperor angelfish in my 220 gallons mixed reef tank. So far so good, he nips at SPS from time to time and Zoas, but not doing any big damages. I have 2 autofeeders feeding 2 sizes of NLS pellets throughout the day. I also feed 1 cube of music, 1 cube of Artemis brine shrimps, 1 cube of rotifers ,1 cube on cyclops and 1/2 a sheet of algea per Day.
After watching ReefMan's YouTube video about the benefits of small fish like gobies in natural reefs, I want to test out that theory in my reef tank.
My question is:
Will my emperor pose a threat to them as he grows?
ReefMan's YouTube video ⬇️

bdupuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish
How long have you had him for?
Also what size tank is he in?
I’ve had him for about 6 months. He’s in a 180 reef mostly softy and leathers.

Other fish:
PBT
YT
Yellow coris wrasse
8 BG chromis
2 PJ cardinals
3 clowns
1 firefish

All get along well.

Inverts:
Astrea snails
Turbo snails
Skunk cleaner shrimp (emp loves him)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Emperor (almost fully mature) in a 150 FOWLER with a Talbot and two Yellow Tail Damsels, and he hardly pays them any mind. There is not a lot of rock work, so I guess he 'could' be chasing them all around the tank if he was aggressive, but again, no problem. (Your mileage may vary.) ;Joyful
Good to hear

Upvote 0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? And what’s the size of the Emperor compared to the Y. Tang? Have you introduced any other fish after the Tang established its territory… If so, what kind of fish and how did that go?

Upvote 0

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon, this will be temporary until upgrade to 120 gallon in the future.
I have introduced other fish in the past and the YT was fine. The YT about 4”, the juvenile emperor will be 1/2 of the YT size

Upvote 0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It there a gap in your rock work where you could drop in a (cut) sheet of egg crate and make a divider for a few days— so the YT can just check him out? 75 gallons is not all that big if the YT decides to become relentless. The Emperor Is not the size yet to ‘grunt’ at anyone and show who’s boss. Let us know which direction you go and how it turns out :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It there a gap in your rock work where you could drop in a (cut) sheet of egg crate and make a divider for a few days— so the YT can just check him out? 75 gallons is not all that big if the YT decides to become relentless. The Emperor Is not the size yet to ‘grunt’ at anyone and show who’s boss. Let us know which direction you go and how it turns out :)
Or acclimation box have worked also well for me

Upvote 0

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon, this will be temporary until upgrade to 120 gallon in the future.
I have introduced other fish in the past and the YT was fine. The YT about 4”, the juvenile emperor will be 1/2 of the YT size
You’ll have a really tough time in even a 120 with an emperor. I doubt it would be happy mine in my 210 is as small as I would consider.

Upvote 0

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my emperor as a juvenile, it is now near mature and maybe 8 or 9 inches. It eats only Aiptasia. I have a mixed reef. I have a 725 gallon tank so I might not notice if it was picking at some of the lps a bit.

It of course could start eating coral any day. It's cool enough that I'd sacrifice some coral for it. My tank boss is a unicorn Tang, which is a mellow giant. The emperor hasn't been aggressive at any point and will never be at the top of the pecking order in a tank with a unicorn.

IMG_20210226_150007.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my emperor as a juvenile, it is now near mature and maybe 8 or 9 inches. It eats only Aiptasia. I have a mixed reef. I have a 725 gallon tank so I might not notice if it was picking at some of the lps a bit.

It of course could start eating coral any day. It's cool enough that I'd sacrifice some coral for it. My tank boss is a unicorn Tang, which is a mellow giant. The emperor hasn't been aggressive at any point and will never be at the top of the pecking order in a tank with a unicorn.

IMG_20210226_150007.jpg
Mine haa been testing aptaisia, but he doesn't seem to like it so far. How old is him? I have noticed that if well fed and with enough current to keep him occupied, he doesn't really care for corals

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back