Emperors of R2R (pomacanthus imperator)

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. say hello to mezz-mo. bought in oct of 18 and was about the size of a half-dollar, he is now 20 months old. a good story may be helpful to others he lives in my 150.

20181026_161745.jpg

mezz mo has been a great fish. when we first got him we were warned about him. reef safe with caution. upon entering the tank he was a friendly addition, did not mess with anyone, we watched and he seemed uninterested in our soft and hard corals. so thumbs up and grow little fellow.

He is the first Emporer we have owned--that being said - a few months go by and we notice him avoiding everyone in the tank, both larger and smaller fish. seemed odd for a fish that is supposed to rule the roost. we also noticed he was changing, but it looked like fading to me, and he was eating well, again, first-time Emporer owner, wife loves the fish, so let the research being. we just thought it was the color change process.

2.jpg

we were confused by the number of things that we were, told and read, about fading colors and shyness, including prepare for death, he was diagnosed with every fish disease that was known. I believe I have a thread on this point his life, here in the reef to the reef. if your fish looks like mine in this pic, might be worth checking out.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/emperor-angel-sick-if-so-what-is-it.674045/

Overall the help and support were great. in the end, I just pulled him out and QT him using API general cure and some others. within a few days he was passing what I could only describe as an intestinal parasite and man was it a big one. not sure where it came from, the food i make is high end.

20200104_172035.jpg

I was feeding all my fish a home blend of the following:
Lrs reef frenzy, Lrs fish frenzy, Mysis shrimp, Diced up shrimp, Sfb angel cubes
I melted it all and then add Brightwell vitamin c to the mix, then refreeze. I feed the DT two cubes of that mix, an entire sheet of lrs brand seaweed, and a dash of new life spectrum marine pellets thru out the day.

After he pasted this approx 12" long worm (yes I pulled it out and measured once passed) i switch the food mix to the following
diced then rinsed raw shrimp, squid, krill, added minced garlic, seachem vitality, lrs seaweed, and northfin brand marine pellets and a pack (OR 2) of G.C. I wanted to ensure that the other fish were treated for internal parasites just in case.

Im happy to report he pulled thru and came back strong, took a few weeks once back in the DT. but today he is running the tank at 20 months old and the shyness has been replaced with bullishness and is the pride of the English navy.

20200723_085923.jpg

just the other day I heard grunting for the first time coming from the tank not sure where it was coming from. I would look and listen and never could catch the owner of the grunt but yesterday as I was placing frags in the tank and moving rocks he let loose and would not stop grunting all day even when I was done he was still grunting at everyone. Mezz has not really, to this day been seen eating any corals still. I can only assume its because I keep them all good feed. I have seen him nip but not eat, that nip was to a neon green trump but just once, that coral is still alive and well, But if he does start chowing down the hard core, I and the wife have decided to just let them eat away and we will go to a FOWLR tank because she wants a puffer and we are realizing that we may be more ocean fish people, rather than coral people. that its, for the most part, he's a great fish and I can not wait to see those full-blown adult colors. 20200723_085923.jpg 20200723_085938.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. say hello to mezz-mo. bought in oct of 18 and was about the size of a half-dollar, he is now 20 months old. a good story may be helpful to others he lives in my 150.

20181026_161745.jpg

mezz mo has been a great fish. when we first got him we were warned about him. reef safe with caution. upon entering the tank he was a friendly addition, did not mess with anyone, we watched and he seemed uninterested in our soft and hard corals. so thumbs up and grow little fellow.

He is the first Emporer we have owned--that being said - a few months go by and we notice him avoiding everyone in the tank, both larger and smaller fish. seemed odd for a fish that is supposed to rule the roost. we also noticed he was changing, but it looked like fading to me, and he was eating well, again, first-time Emporer owner, wife loves the fish, so let the research being. we just thought it was the color change process.

2.jpg

we were confused by the number of things that we were, told and read, about fading colors and shyness, including prepare for death, he was diagnosed with every fish disease that was known. I believe I have a thread on this point his life, here in the reef to the reef. if your fish looks like mine in this pic, might be worth checking out.

Overall the help and support were great. in the end, I just pulled him out and QT him using API general cure and some others. within a few days he was passing what I could only describe as an intestinal parasite and man was it a big one. not sure where it came from, the food i make is high end.

20200104_172035.jpg

Lrs reef frenzy, Lrs fish frenzy, Mysis shrimp, Diced up shrimp, Sfb angel cubes
I melted it all and then add Brightwell vitamin c to the mix, then refreeze. I feed the DT two cubes of that mix, an entire sheet of lrs brand seaweed, and a dash of new life spectrum marine pellets thru out the day.

After he pasted this approx 12" long worm (yes I pulled it out and measured once passed) i switch the food mix to the following
diced then rinsed raw shrimp, squid, krill, added minced garlic, seachem vitality, lrs seaweed, and northfin brand marine pellets and a pack (OR 2) of G.C. I wanted to ensure that the other fish were treated for internal parasites just in case.

Im happy to report he pulled thru and came back strong, took a few weeks once back in the DT. but today he is running the tank at 20 months old and the shyness has been replaced with bullishness and is the pride of the English navy.

20200723_085923.jpg

just the other day I heard grunting for the first time coming from the tank not sure where it was coming from. I would look and listen and never could catch the owner of the grunt but yesterday as I was placing frags in the tank and moving rocks he let loose and would not stop grunting all day even when I was done he was still grunting at everyone. Mezz has not really, to this day been seen eating any corals still. I can only assume its because I keep them all good feed. I have seen him nip but not eat, that nip was to a neon green trump but just once, that coral is still alive and well, But if he does start chowing down the hard core, I and the wife have decided to just let them eat away and we will go to a FOWLR tank because she wants a puffer and we are realizing that we may be more ocean fish people, rather than coral people. that its, for the most part, he's a great fish and I can not wait to see those full-blown adult colors. 20200723_085923.jpg 20200723_085938.jpg
Thanks for sharing Mezz-Mo's story... from the 12" worm scare to hearing his new found voice!
It is interesting to see how his mask is developing in your last photo. Very cool.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got him as an adult? Very nice looking-- was it from an LFS or a private party? If he turns out to be a tank boss, maybe name him "Max."

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got him as an adult? Very nice looking-- was it from an LFS or a private party? If he turns out to be a tank boss, maybe name him "Max."
I like that name. I got him as a sub-adult so, he's almost a full adult. He was from NYAquatic.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20181026_161745.jpg

2.jpg

20200104_172035.jpg

20200723_085923.jpg

@david campbell
MezzMo update?

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Emperor really starting to transition now. Has been in my tank for about a year now and grown from 50 cent piece size to baseball size or so... lines starting to go horizontal and a little bit of yellow coming on... also has developed the EMPEROR GRUNT!! Great fish, been fun to watch transition, I can’t wait to see it continue!
CDEF7F02-DBED-4C3E-839F-BB948A5663AD.jpeg

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wen Any updates on your emperor?
Excellent photo @GOSKN5!

General Tso has also begun exerting dominance around food with grunting and chasing. His lines are also starting to go horizontal with faint yellow.
He is not very nice to the Copperband and was sampling the Superman palys/zoas last night.
:rolleyes:

27BECC4D-3E2C-4C64-AAA4-65339F76DD93.jpeg

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t updated since March 17th on page 3 but here’s mine again transitioning quite a bit more on one side than the other but has probably grown 1.5 inches in that time.
88AB2E3A-42D4-42D6-8384-841EB9999058.jpeg
99D0AAF8-F11F-43FB-AD21-D2B831001197.jpeg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back