Encourage branching

  • Thread starter Thread starter alten78
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

alten78

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 12, 2015
Messages
386
Reaction score
478
Location
Sheffield Lake, OH
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this Surf N' Turf stag for a few years now, got it as a fairly tall frag with a few nubs at the top. It's never really done much so I haven't pay much attention to it till I just moved to a bigger tank and realized how much taller it is, also noticing how many branches it doesn't have.

I remember reading here and there about cutting the tips off to encourage branching slightly after I accidentally broke one of the branches. It got me thinking about the piece in general, do I take more tips off to try to get more branches or is this thing already too tall and more or less break off several frags to sell and start over?

20181106_185319.jpg
 
I think it might be reaching for light that’s why it hasn’t really put out any branches.
 
Its always been in the upper half of the tank in higher flow under 6x54 t5's. Now its even higher under 250w Radiums so I guess we'll see? Going forward, i think i'll cut it off at the base a few inches under where the three or four branches already are and still pop the tops off the others?
 
IME, stags will branch more with high light/flow
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new