Encouraging an Atlantic Butterfly to eat

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lg-0315111-090.jpg

I've had a few of these over the years and they've always been very easy to feed. I'd usually start with live bloodworms and eventually mix with frozen mysis and other meaty items and within a week or two they'd take anything.

The one I have in quarantine doesn't want to eat. He seems interested in tigger pods and mollusc shells but doesn't actually eat. Live bloodworms and brine are of no interest. Same with clam.

He seemed very skinny when I got him on Thursday (live aquaria) and it's only Monday. Perhaps he just needs more time to adjust? I've never had to wait more than a few hours for these these guys to perk up so it's throwing me off.

Are there live saltwater worms I can get to encourage him to eat? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

suta42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t necessarily think quarantine is the problem....If he isn’t interested in live blackworms could it have a gill infestation???
Just that, IME, all the long nosed butterflys usually love them including this species. But if they’re unwell they can go off their food very easily.

Hth

suta42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mixed results with Prazipro affecting appetite, especially at full dose on the first day or two. But you said your fish is skinny, so this may not be the problem here???

At any rate, good luck with him - they’re such a nice fish.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can try some enriched live brine shrimp. Whatever live foods your lfs has on hand i would give a try.

Frozen foods give a try with san fran angel and butterfly diet.

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
longnoseatlantic.jpg

Unfortunately he still looks the same. No interest in any food. :( Live Aquaria doesn't have these in stock very often so I'm pretty disappointed. Especially considering I've had such luck with these guys in the past. I'll keep trying various foods. Hopefully he pulls through. :/

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If still hasnt eaten try removing all the meds.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back