End of cycle?

AjfromVa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 days ago I started cycling a 55 gallon tank. It’s a fishless cycle so I used Dr. Tim’s all-in-one. My set up is as follows:
60# Fiji Pink live sand
60# Marco dry rock
10# live rock from lfs
1 mp-10
1 tidal 110 hob filter(don’t judge. 3 yr old in the house and don’t trust him with sump)
2 hydra32’s been running since day 2
I’ve been ghost feed into the tank since day 1. I did one water change of 10 gallons on day three because there was something floating in the tank that I couldn’t identify. Ammonia peaked at about 2ppm for a day. Never had any measurable nitrite. Ammonia is currently at .25 and nitrate at 20 ppm. Did have a diatom bloom 3 days ago but it has started to die off. Could I be entering the end of my cycle already?

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 days ago I started cycling a 55 gallon tank. It’s a fishless cycle so I used Dr. Tim’s all-in-one. My set up is as follows:
60# Fiji Pink live sand
60# Marco dry rock
10# live rock from lfs
1 mp-10
1 tidal 110 hob filter(don’t judge. 3 yr old in the house and don’t trust him with sump)
2 hydra32’s been running since day 2
I’ve been ghost feed into the tank since day 1. I did one water change of 10 gallons on day three because there was something floating in the tank that I couldn’t identify. Ammonia peaked at about 2ppm for a day. Never had any measurable nitrite. Ammonia is currently at .25 and nitrate at 20 ppm. Did have a diatom bloom 3 days ago but it has started to die off. Could I be entering the end of my cycle already?
Yeah you should be good to go. Honestly, I’ve done this before, you can do fish day 1 with Dr.Tim’s or MB7. Stuff is magical. If you’re asking if fish are good to go then you’re ready :) as far as algae blooms they may or may not come up I’d say we all get some on occasion. Small or large.

OP
OP
AjfromVa

AjfromVa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you should be good to go. Honestly, I’ve done this before, you can do fish day 1 with Dr.Tim’s or MB7. Stuff is magical. If you’re asking if fish are good to go then you’re ready :) as far as algae blooms they may or may not come up I’d say we all get some on occasion. Small or large.
Thanks PB. With all the things you read about cycling times I wasn’t expecting it to be so soon. Especially because I never measured any nitrite. I will ghost feed again tonight and then measure my ammonia again tomorrow. If it stays the same I guess it’s a water change and a trip to the lfs to see what I want to put in the quarantine tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the directions on dr tims says ten days is the average if im not wrong, you've met that.

plus the wet live rock brought in the ability to mask the inability of the inactive surfaces. change out some water, can begin. ten pounds of true live rock in a high water contact arrangement will keep most known total bioloads for smaller tanks, that powerful of an ammonia scrub. the dr tims was all extras/doubly ready here. triple ready if the sand was wet when brought in.

Last edited:

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks PB. With all the things you read about cycling times I wasn’t expecting it to be so soon. Especially because I never measured any nitrite. I will ghost feed again tonight and then measure my ammonia again tomorrow. If it stays the same I guess it’s a water change and a trip to the lfs to see what I want to put in the quarantine tank.
Ayeee sweet!! As they are your first fish, in my opinion I wouldn’t see the need to QT. However it is still a great and beneficial option for any new fish! Keep us posted on how it goes!! You should make a build thread :)

OP
OP
AjfromVa

AjfromVa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ayeee sweet!! As they are your first fish, in my opinion I wouldn’t see the need to QT. However it is still a great and beneficial option for any new fish! Keep us posted on how it goes!! You should make a build thread :)
I will. Bought a little 20 gallon for quarantining. Just trying to start the good habits. Pictures will definitely be coming.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back