Engineer gobies have gone missing

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we got a pair of engineer gobies a few months ago. One had already changed to the blotches and the other stripes still. Both 4-5” long probably. From the start they never really figured out what they were supposed to do in our 180 reef. They mostly just swam around. Only in the past few weeks did they start moving sand but even then it was only in the corner of the tank and they would just move sand from the corner to the side of the tank, uncovering my elegance basically. They got mad everytime the husband filled the missing hole back in so the elegance wouldn’t “tumble” down against the egg crate.

They’re always huge eaters and come swimming with all the other fish when they see me. Tonight I didn’t see them when I fed and now can’t remember if I saw them earlier when I fed them.

The top is completely covered so 100% no way they bailed.

Is it possible they figured out how to burrow under all the rocks we have and are staying put for some reason? It’s just odd to me because they always been aggressive active feeders the two months we’ve had them in the tank that I can’t believe they wouldn’t eat. But then I can’t imagine them both dying at the same time for some strange reason and the CUC took care of them.

Any thoughts?

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of engineers as well. I always used to see them come out of their cave to grab food floating by or peices of nori that the tangs ripped up. Then I got velvet, took all the rock out to get all the fish put. After fallow, they went back into the tank. I saw them the first day and haven't seen them since. I have several hundred pounds of rock in a 260g so I'm sure they're somewhere under the rock.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of engineers as well. I always used to see them come out of their cave to grab food floating by or peices of nori that the tangs ripped up. Then I got velvet, took all the rock out to get all the fish put. After fallow, they went back into the tank. I saw them the first day and haven't seen them since. I have several hundred pounds of rock in a 260g so I'm sure they're somewhere under the rock.

Hopefully they’ve just realized that it’s fun to make tunnels under my rock work. It only took them 2 months to figure it out. They literally always just used to swim against the glass and when it’s feeding time they joined all the others in the middle top of the tank because they know mama is gonna feed them. Just strange that out of the blue they disappear after seeing them out and about swimming freely for 2 months. They’ve never hid even one time so it’s just odd to me I guess. Maybe I’ll see them tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Middle of feeding time. You can see them both in this pic

8F6B5287-8DF7-47F9-B0CC-6543FF67DE45.jpeg

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was cleaning the glass today, he poked his head out of his cave to grab some algae floating by. So I'm sure yours are in there somewhere

20201114_123006.jpg

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was cleaning the glass today, he poked his head out of his cave to grab some algae floating by. So I'm sure yours are in there somewhere

20201114_123006.jpg

Yes they both actually showed up for breakfast the next day and haven’t disappeared since....maybe they were just off getting busy somewhere

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 190 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back