Engineering Project - Sump Flow

CMW328i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Still waiting for finances to come together so I can get my dream reef system, but in the meantime... I'm completing an engineering degree and I need to do an engineering project on the topic of fluid mechanics.

I've decided to do my project on flow through a sump, in particular, the sump for the Red Sea Reefer 625 (since this is the tank I'd like to own eventually). Not that I think there is a problem with sumps in general, but as an academic exercise, I intend to change the design to maximise flow and minimise turbulence in the refugium section but maximise turbulence downstream of it to prevent any copepods or detritus settling.

I'm not entirely sure what I will need to help me with this, but if we have any engineers who want to give some input, it would be most appreciated.

Also, if anyone has a more detailed dimensioned drawing of the sump, it would certainly help me create a CAD model to put into some CFD software.

My primary problem at the moment is thinking about how to analyse the flow and streamlines mathematically to determine any problem spots or come up with ways to address them without doing everything in CFD software. My current ideas are to use open channel flow and energy equations looking specifically at the refugium flow at the moment. I'm fairly certain that flow from the input chamber to a flat wall at the end of the refugium is likely to cause turbulence. I'm thinking that's where I should start.

Anyone care to input into this project? :)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

stop by to give a little bump. Can’t help on a RS tank. i would assume It all depends on the sump configuration. Should be interesting

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if anyone has a more detailed dimensioned drawing of the sump, it would certainly help me create a CAD model to put into some CFD software.

Good luck! Would a drawing like this help?

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 9.14.16 PM.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back