Enough flow for my UV sterilizer?

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I know there are threads on this and there is a manual online from the manufacturer, but the advice is conflicting.

Can I use a Mag 12 return pump (I am using two in dual install) for my 40 watt Aqua UV sterilizer? Will it be enough flow with the head pressure? I'm assuming that I get about 850GPH going through there but have not bucket-tested it and don't have a flow meter.

This is for algae control.

Total tank volume is about 250 gallons so that would be a little over 3x turnover. Contact time looks a little longer than the manufacturer recommends though.

I assumed 850 GPH because the distance traveled is about 5' vertical from the bottom of the sump to the top of the display and about 6' horizontal. The current return line is pretty efficient, with two 90s through 1" plumbing to a reducer to 3/4" locline tank return. I would be adding the necessary elbows to plumb the UV sterilizer, probably in the horizontal position, so two 90s and a ball valve.

Trying to decide if I can do the easy thing or if I need to shell out $$$ for a bigger, controllable pump. I'd rather go with what I have if feasible but what do y'all think?

Thanks!!
Steve

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it. More than likely you have less gallonage figuring inside dimensions to start.
Then sand & rockwork mean less too.

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it. More than likely you have less gallonage figuring inside dimensions to start.
Then sand & rockwork mean less too.
Thanks. Actually I measured water volume when I first filled it (with sand and rock), so I am fairly confident in 250 gal estimate. The tank is rated at 240 and the sump is a converted 100 gal tank, filled about half full.

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, Use that and see how she works.
I might use a DC for slow movement for parasite control.
Well, I was hoping to do better than trial and error here, because it's a royal pain to change out the plumbing. If anyone has any experience or insights into flow rates and contact time with this setup I'd be grateful.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I know there are threads on this and there is a manual online from the manufacturer, but the advice is conflicting.

Can I use a Mag 12 return pump (I am using two in dual install) for my 40 watt Aqua UV sterilizer? Will it be enough flow with the head pressure? I'm assuming that I get about 850GPH going through there but have not bucket-tested it and don't have a flow meter.

This is for algae control.

Total tank volume is about 250 gallons so that would be a little over 3x turnover. Contact time looks a little longer than the manufacturer recommends though.

I assumed 850 GPH because the distance traveled is about 5' vertical from the bottom of the sump to the top of the display and about 6' horizontal. The current return line is pretty efficient, with two 90s through 1" plumbing to a reducer to 3/4" locline tank return. I would be adding the necessary elbows to plumb the UV sterilizer, probably in the horizontal position, so two 90s and a ball valve.

Trying to decide if I can do the easy thing or if I need to shell out $$$ for a bigger, controllable pump. I'd rather go with what I have if feasible but what do y'all think?

Thanks!!
Steve
I have a similar size tank and two Sicce SDC 9.0's rated for 2,500GPH. I also have 1" plumbing out of the sump. I used a reducer to go from 1" to 2" to go into the sterilizer and then a reducer to go back to 1" and then eventually the 3/4" loc line. I plumbed two 57W AquaUltraviolet sterilizers and did a bucket test yesterday; I don't have a flow meter either.

Running the pumps full bore, I was only getting around 720gph. AquaUltraviolet told me that their "recommendation flow rate would between 2133 and 3200 gph" for disrupting "the DNA-RNA of any Single Cell free floating Protozoa not attached. This includes Single Cell Algae as well." I'm now of course freaking out because I'm getting nowhere near those rates.

My distance traveled isn't much different than yours. One side only has the length of the UV sterilizer for horizontal distance traveled (I mounted both sterilizers horizontally) and about 4' vertical. The other one is right around 4' horizontal and just under 4' vertical. TBH I expected that line to have less of a flow rate but it was right on target with the other one.

Let me know if you do a bucket test. I'd love to know what you're actually getting because I'm stressing a little about mine now. I was hoping to have one SDC dialed in for bacteria and the other for algae control.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back