Epsom salt with copper treatment?

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if it is safe to add epsom salt to a qt tank that is currently under copper treatment. I am not a chemist and want to make sure the sulfates from the epsom salt will not interfere with my copper and throw the levels off. I dont think it will be a problem but worth double checking.

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am qt all if my fish and treating with copper to fight ich and other parasites. My yellow tang is showing a single popeye and I would like to try and give him some relief.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t be an issue

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am qt all if my fish and treating with copper to fight ich and other parasites. My yellow tang is showing a single popeye and I would like to try and give him some relief.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that will be beneficial in seawater. Seawater already contains way, way more magnesium and sulfate than the popeye recommendation for freshwater treatment. Such an addition will hardly budge the values of magnesium and sulfate.

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, thank you for your response. I understand that in the seawater the levels of magnesium are high, around 1400 ppm and I am not sure what the values for sulfates are. Nor do I really know what sulfates are as silly as that sounds. So I do follow your logic. Be aware that I barely passed my chemistry 101 class in college lol. I was never very good at balance equations, positively charged ions, or any thing like that even though I find it interesting. Can you explain your reasoning? Does the magnesium sulfate bond of the Epsom salt immediately break apart into free magnesium and sulfates once mixed into an aqueous solution? If so, why is it so openly recommended for small bacterial infections as well as popeye if it doesnt effect the water chemistry significantly? I am not doubting your response, just wish to understand the chemistry a bit more.
Whether it was coincidence or not, I have no clue, but I added the recommended dosage to my qt tank last night and my yellow tangs eye appears significantly better. Which regardless of the reason, I am happier :)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 72 51.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back