Equipment advice

jenstaley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have advice on what equipment I need for a 400 gallon saltwater tank? Do they make wavemakers without cords at all? Do I need a UV Sterilizer? Protein
Skimmer? What size return pump? I am a bit lost here! I ordered my tank, it is 72 long so I assume I will need more than 1 wavemaker or powerhead...
I did have an 80 gallon tank about 6 years ago but just ran a canister filter and uv sterilizer with no issues... a lot has changed!

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Tunze Turbelle Stream 3 for the wavemaker. You might need a few in a tank that size but they are pretty powerful.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the large tank section and browse or open a thread. People with smaller tanks really mean well, but what they do does not often scale.

Closed Loop with an Ocean's Motion 4 way is a good way to get flow in a larger tank without cords. Otherwise, you are into larger Tunze or EcoTech pumps.

I do not use a UV Sterlizer, but some do. I am a huge fan of Protein Skimmers. I like Panworld/Iwaki/Blueline or AmpMaster external pumps for returns and also Closed Loops - I do not care for Sequence/ReeFlo or DC pumps.

Sump size is important and you will likely need a big one.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Tunze products.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some reading to do. There is tons of great advice here.

General advice; Take advice from people who have been successful, research your particular requirements and have an idea of what animals you are going to keep as this may influence what you need. Buy the best quality gear you can afford & don't skimp on a skimmer...

Last edited:

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
Go to the large tank section and browse or open a thread. People with smaller tanks really mean well, but what they do does not often scale.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back