Equipment costs help!

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am looking at upgrading my system. I found a local tank for sale but the prices seem high. Just curious if people wanted to throw in their thoughts on how much these things should be. Below is the system I am looking at, it is 1.5 years old. The asking price varies from discounted10%-20% and averages 14%. I feel like Black Friday would have similar deals and everything would be new, but not sure.

-Red Sea Reefer 250-
-(2) Radion xr15 G4 Pro-
-(2) RMS mounts for Radion-
-Reeflink-
-Vortech MP40wqd-
-Reef Octopus 150 int skimmer (repaired)-
-Tunze Osmolator 3155-
-VarioS 6 Return Pump-

thank you!

texdoc77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am looking at upgrading my system. I found a local tank for sale but the prices seem high. Just curious if people wanted to throw in their thoughts on how much these things should be. Below is the system I am looking at, it is 1.5 years old. The asking price varies from discounted10%-20% and averages 14%. I feel like Black Friday would have similar deals and everything would be new, but not sure.

-Red Sea Reefer 250-
-(2) Radion xr15 G4 Pro-
-(2) RMS mounts for Radion-
-Reeflink-
-Vortech MP40wqd-
-Reef Octopus 150 int skimmer (repaired)-
-Tunze Osmolator 3155-
-VarioS 6 Return Pump-

thank you!
One question I would ask is what venue you are in? Is this on R2R, ebay, LFS? That said, a used reef system over a year old seems a touch high...

OP
OP
R

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Tex, it is through a local Craig’s list add.

texdoc77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Tex, it is through a local Craig’s list add.
So at best price it is only 10% discounted? Pass for me. When I sell used items I usually discount 33 to 50%. Now that said, I would be willing to bet you could haggle it down a bit. Is this the system you want? Have you really decided or are you thinking this could work if it is a good deal. For me, it would have to be a great deal to settle, and just an OK deal if it is what I wanted.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Each person or seller will have their own price structure based on what THEY paid, age of components, condition of components and if they’re under warranty and if item is rarely available used or plenty available.
25-50% lower is a mean average. Striking to me is when people say a tank goes for a dollar a gallon. Maybe a 10, 20,even 30 gallon but thereafter, to think you’ll get a 75 gallon that was $198 for $75 is pathetic.
MY RULE OF THUMB FOR USED Is:
Figure what you want to spend and see what you find and if more-in cost, consider age and condition of components and ask yourself is it worth it based on condition or should I keep looking.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My perspective of buying a used near custom aquarium, the discount would have to be enough to cover the transport and any help needed to get the aquarium safely in my house and still have saved enough to now own one that does not have a warranty. But that might just be me. So id probably say a 30% discount would be about what i would look for.
I also know how to build an aquarium stand, so would also have to be cheaper than buying an applicable sized miracle or sca tank new only as well. Again might just be me.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is good to excellent condition, the most I would pay is around 60% if the retail value. Don’t forget most online retail comes with free shipping, buy picking up a used tank set up, that’s a day of your time plus warranty.

OP
OP
R

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys, I appreciate the feedback. I did think it was initially overpriced and think I can go back with a counter offer. However I wasn't sure with some of the components. You guys also brought up some good points about warranty, shipping etc.

Thank you,

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back