Equipment for 25 gallon tank

• Thread starter alcoral
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

alcoral

View Badges
I'm debating on whether or not it is worth it to get an RO/DI system for a 25 gallon tank. Anybody have experience with this size tank and necessary equipment?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you're keeping? How's your source water quality? Some places you can get away with it no problem for even the most demanding tanks, other water sources it would be impossible to use for anything.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if a department store or local fish store sells RO/DI water. Some do. For that size tank it may be practical for water changes and topping off. You probably need about 5 gallons a week. Of course keep a reserve amount around for emergencies.

If you are setting up a new aquarium, the beginning is a little tougher. There is the initial fill and the likelihood of big water changes during and/or after the cycling process. For me, I would probably go through 50 gallons in a month filling and cycling a 25 gallon tank. That is a bit to haul, but can be stocked up over time.

Bob3655

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'll never run another tank without RO/DI. NY_Caveman has the right idea, I would search around and try to find somewhere local that sells RO/DI. If not, an RO/DI unit is well worth the investment IMO.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey alcoral - I'd back-up Bob3655 - definitely get an RODI unit. Even the most pristine well water with low TDS may contain contaminants that your RODI will remove. Not only will it save you money in the long run, but since your water source will be better than anything you can buy by the container, you will be off to a better start. Also, as a more convenient source for water, you will be more inclined to use it - i.e. you may wait or skip water changes or maintenance because schlepping water is a pain. The more convenient and easy maintenance is to do, the more likely you will do it.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • D/C

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • Both

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 10 18.9%
Back