Equipment recommendations

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m getting my first large tank. I’ve done many smaller fish only tanks. This is a 240G system, I have the plumbing and sump already and I’m putting together the rest of the system. I’m looking for suggestions. I plan on having Softies and LPS. I’m currently planing on the following but would like input.

1: L2 or 2 M2 pumps for return
2: 3 MP40’s
3: Skimmer (brand not decided yet)
4: Red Sea reef mat 1200
5: Lights (not decided yet but thinking Neptune Sky)
6: Already have a apex A3 pro
7: Two 600W heaters Thank you

If anyone has suggestions I would like to hear them.

Last edited:

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s an 8 foot 240 I would suggest adding at least one MP60. I have 2x40s on mine and they’re just not enough to push 8 feet. I added one MP60 and will add another down the road. As far as skimmers there’s just so many options to really answer that. If you want low maintenance I’d say lifereef. If you want a more modern design probably reef octopus. But again there are a ton of options.

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s an 8 foot 240 I would suggest adding at least one MP60. I have 2x40s on mine and they’re just not enough to push 8 feet. I added one MP60 and will add another down the road. As far as skimmers there’s just so many options to really answer that. If you want low maintenance I’d say lifereef. If you want a more modern design probably reef octopus. But again there are a ton of options.
Perfect I was wondering that. I guess I should have put the dimensions in. 79"L x 25.6"H x 25.6"W. It’s only a 190G display with a 48G split sump. I was on the fence with the MP60’s. You just pushed me over.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back