Equipment Review: Aquarium Engineering ACR (Automatic Calcium Reactor)

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My pump did not crack. It was user error. That pump cannot handle the pressure coming out of RODI FILTER, which I used to leak test reactor, but when I teed off from return pump in my aquarium, per instructions from Bill, it didn’t leak anymore it reached pressure balance on its own. Now it’s running smoothly. Thanks again for taking time to reply!

How long did yours take to balance out? I just got mine hooked up yesterday, and the top 4" union nut leaks like crazy. Well, most of the unit leaks, but the top is really bad. The nut is bottomed out, and silicone grease coating the O-ring, still just pours water out.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did yours take to balance out? I just got mine hooked up yesterday, and the top 4" union nut leaks like crazy. Well, most of the unit leaks, but the top is really bad. The nut is bottomed out, and silicone grease coating the O-ring, still just pours water out.
That does not sound right. Can you post a photo?

Contacting Bill might be your best bet to get support.

Dennis

Chueco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as I hooked it to return pump it started to balance. You should not have any leaks. I got more silicone lube to add to fittings. The water in my case was coming out of the sicce pump, the intake to be precise, which is the upper most part of pump. It is sucking the water from top of reactor. I attached video so you can see how I plumbed it. It’s important to use a secondary outlet from your return, so as to not push to much water pressure into the circulating pump. Make sure you don’t rush screwing the unions and cross tightening the nylon nuts if you have a stacked reactor.

Attachments

• 64092317387__4725149F-D3FB-40AC-8A3C-5EAFEC802913.MOV
    1.9 MB

Chueco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the video doesn’t work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 63

Chueco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as I hooked it to return pump it started to balance. You should not have any leaks. I got more silicone lube to add to fittings. The water in my case was coming out of the sicce pump, the intake to be precise, which is the upper most part of pump. It is sucking the water from top of reactor. I attached video so you can see how I plumbed it. It’s important to use a secondary outlet from your return, so as to not push to much water pressure into the circulating pump. Make sure you don’t rush screwing the unions and cross tightening the nylon nuts if you have a stacked reactor.
I had a manifold for a zeovit reactor and used it, for calcium reactor. I used a bus tub in case it leaks, but it has mot leaked one drop yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 49

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, it's fed off a manifold at a fast drip rate is all. I'm willing to bet it is warped or was machined wrong. I've greased every o-ring, even though sch. 80 unions shouldn't need it, and this is what happens every cycle

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard from Bill lately? My reactor leaked and wouldn’t seal at all and he said he’d send a new one. Ghosted for 3 weeks now - I hope everything is ok as I find it hard to believe he’d ignore calls and texts. My stacked oring wouldn’t seal cause the screws wouldn’t grab without stripping.

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't be serious? This is BILL. Good luck! Thats why I never would buy a single thing from him EVER again. Did you see my previous posts? I would get your money back ASAP.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard from Bill lately? My reactor leaked and wouldn’t seal at all and he said he’d send a new one. Ghosted for 3 weeks now - I hope everything is ok as I find it hard to believe he’d ignore calls and texts. My stacked oring wouldn’t seal cause the screws wouldn’t grab without stripping.

Bill answered one phone call, and that was it. Left him a message that the reactor was coming on UPS (on my dime), got confirmation it was delivered, and haven't heard BOO. That was 3 weeks ago, at least. I have very low hopes I'll get it back within 6 months. What a waste of time and money. I love how it says all over the website, "If anything breaks, just send it in and we'll fix it." I'll never buy ANY product from him again.

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill answered one phone call, and that was it. Left him a message that the reactor was coming on UPS (on my dime), got confirmation it was delivered, and haven't heard BOO. That was 3 weeks ago, at least. I have very low hopes I'll get it back within 6 months. What a waste of time and money. I love how it says all over the website, "If anything breaks, just send it in and we'll fix it." I'll never buy ANY product from him again.
Love this post!

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this post!

I mean, the reactor costs nearly $2k and this is how it goes. I have a wholesale account, and I debated on just buying a Reef Octopus for $400 and DIY'ing a CO2 mixing chamber like DaStaCo makes. It would have been simple enough, I just didn't want to mess with it, and now all I can do is
Confused Jim Carrey GIF

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably isn’t the thread for this but I feel like we need to get in the vendor feedback side of this. I mean I’m reasonable and I’m willing to work with him but this thing leaked from day one which was the result of poor quality and it’s supposed to be built like a tank.

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is MOST def the thread. It is about a review of the product. And well you and many others have had issues and sick of hearing about it.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same problem. He will answer the phone and you think great he's going to help. Not. He disappears. He monitors his face Book page but you have to sign up to the group to post.

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let’s hope the AMEX dispute gets his attention……. Unreal, what business school did he go to if this is a model he thinks will work.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His mother broke her back. And she was the one that looked after his father who is not in good shape ether.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His mother broke her back. And she was the one that looked after his father who is not in good shape ether.

Then you let people know, so they're understanding, simple as that. Also, people don't generally care when a CEO has personal problems, as it isn't considered in the warranty. My personal problems have no bearing when I can't pay a bill, but I'm supposed to shop simpathy when the product I paid an exorbitant amount of money for doesn't work AT ALL?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you let people know, so they're understanding, simple as that. Also, people don't generally care when a CEO has personal problems, as it isn't considered in the warranty. My personal problems have no bearing when I can't pay a bill, but I'm supposed to shop simpathy when the product I paid an exorbitant amount of money for doesn't work AT ALL?
Look I am just saying what I know I really don't care. Just thought I would inform is all.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back