Equipment Review: Aquarium Engineering ACR (Automatic Calcium Reactor)

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: This thread is intended to be an objective review of the features, performance, vulnerabilities, and experience of owning an Automatic Calcium Reactor by Aquarium Engineering. It is not a thread about the company, the owner, war stories, or what have you. Please join the conversation if you have comments, questions, or interest, and lets discuss this piece of reefing gear!

Ok, lets get started!

Aquarium Engineering ACR - Review and Walkthrough
Model Reviewed: June 2020 Stacked 8" ACR

IMG_4067.jpg
IMG_4307.jpg

I bought the unit because I like "different" reef gear, solid engineering concepts, and I dislike how my pH probe was always wandering out of calibration and getting fouled in my old Calcium Reactor. This unit seemed worth the money, whereas I must say some of the other saturation reactors are just insanely priced.

Here are pictures of it disassembled and one of it running. As you can see, it is a saturation reactor, which means, it maintains a bubble of CO2 at the top of the reactor, and recirculates this through the volume of the reactor, maintaining a low pH in the water, dissolving the media until a state of saturation is reached upon which time the CO2 stops being absorbed by the water. The alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, and trace element rich water is then dosed into the aquarium by the controller. That same controller also feeds more CO2 into the unit when the float valve in the lid says the CO2 bubble has been depleted.

In this fashion, the reactor runs with no pH probe to wander out of calibration or foul. It pushes water up through the two chambers, and then recirculates it with a sicce pump.

The reactor must be fed with a pump, and ideally from an area devoid of microbubbles.

IMG_3869.jpg
IMG_3868.jpg
IMG_4312.jpg

Here's a shot of the lid with the: Effluent out (left, clear), Purge line (middle, yellow), and CO2 recirc line (right, yellow). Also you can see the float switch cable (black).
IMG_4311.jpg

Here is a pic of the regulator that comes with the unit, you can see that it is feeding the reactor at about 8 or 9psi.
IMG_4310.jpg

Performance Review:

Construction is solid, parts are machined from PVC, the large tubes are clear PVC, and a lot of thought went into the design. Perhaps too much thought, because the units are constantly changing and being updated and improved.

The reactor is quiet during operation. In fact, the solenoids in the control module are the loudest part. Based on feedback in the facebook group, the control module is also the most failure prone portion in previous variants, though mine has been problem free.

Setup was straightforward using the instructions from AE, the unit does not come with instructions, or any assembly guidance at all, but the owner recently released a set of instructions online.

I am pleased to say that my unit was leak-free from the vendor, setup went exactly as planned, and it has been reliably churning out effluent for weeks now. Tomorrow when I get a chance I will test the reactor effluent alkalinity again, but it is very high as you would expect (30-40+dKh).

Media/Maintenance:

The suggested Magnesium media to go in the bottom chamber is remag (dolomite) and then reborn (coral skeletons) go in the top, larger, chamber. Although the new reborn (after the shutdown) is much smaller particles and seems more likely to clog and less prone to efficient water flow.

Basically, the unit then runs itself. Maintenance includes:

• Topping off media when it runs low
  • Checking effluent potency from time to time to ensure proper operation
  • Maybe changing effluent tubing in the control box? (unknown how long it lasts getting pinched)
  • Recirculation and Feed Pump maintenance

The Control Module and valve module:

Effluent delivery is controlled by a super simple “time on, time off” control box. The top button is the “time on” that the solenoid will open for, then the bottom button is the “time off” that the solenoid will close the effluent line for. Want more alkalinity? Increase time on, or reduce time off. Want less? Reduce time on, or increase time off.

IMG_4309.jpg

The CO2 bubble float switch is a simple conductivity switch, so your Apex could just as easily read it via a break-out box and control a Carbon Doser regulator to maintain the CO2 bubble in the unit, and the effluent could just as easily be metered with a Kamoer, Versa, or Masterflex peristaltic pump, but the stock system is working well so I have not had to enact “Plan B”.

Here is the inside of the valve module. On the left you can see the CO2 control portion, a check valve and a solenoid. Then on the right, the effluent control portion, a big old solenoid to pinch the effluent tube.

IMG_3866.jpg

Final Thoughts:

So in summary, thus far, I'd give the unit an 8.5 out of 10. Only docking it 1 point for not coming with any instructions (people shouldn't have to join a facebook group to get instructions), and 0.5 point for the loud effluent control box. My unit is in a fishroom, and I can still hear the "CLUNK" of the solenoid opening and closing as it causes a water hammer. I may try a less forceful feed pump and see if that helps the situation (currently using a dedicated small magdrive). That being said, if the unit is in your living room, you may not love the bubble noises and solenoid noises. However, the unit is very solid construction, and other than the pinch-hose in the effluent control, I don't see many wear items if any, so I would expect the unit to last ages. AE uses high quality O-rings, excellent attention to detail of all machined parts, and everything fits together very well. When one buys a boutique piece of equipment, created by a largely one-man show, there are certain issues that are worth mentioning. For example if you have problems, shipping issues, need parts, etc, you need to find the owner, which can be easy or hard depending on the day, but I will say, based on the ownership experience thus far, I would buy this unit again.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great write up, and thanks for doing that, calcium reactors always look a bit ‘complicated’, well to me anyway! Lol

You mention the cost compared to some of the other reactors, so how would it compare against say the Deltec Twin Tech 1500 for example, (I have one) which I think is a similar principle being fully automated ?

I couldn’t watch the video for some reason

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Engineer you always provide great, detailed reviews. Thank you. I have had an 8" ACR for over an year now and it has been working great. Bill provides great support and has been keeping my valve control box updated as needed.

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until Bill threatens to sue you. Probably, IMO, one of the worst customer service. Never gets back to you and doesn’t answer the phone when you need help. Product is quite good but you fail to mention how it takes 2-4 months to get it if you’re lucky and the after sales support issues.

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until Bill threatens to sue you. Probably, IMO, one of the worst customer service. Never gets back to you and doesn’t answer the phone when you need help. Product is quite good but you fail to mention how it takes 2-4 months to get it if you’re lucky and the after sales support issues.

ah ah ahhhh, remember, this review is strictly based on the function of the product. Customer support and lead time are something I left out because of politics and because frankly the internet has enough info on that side already if people want to search.

We'll let this one stay, but lets please avoid more talk on this side of things and instead focus on the design/function/features/issues of the product, because I find that part most interesting. We will just leave it at this: "AE has some strong points and some weaker points", I think that puts it well.

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great write up, and thanks for doing that, calcium reactors always look a bit ‘complicated’, well to me anyway! Lol

You mention the cost compared to some of the other reactors, so how would it compare against say the Deltec Twin Tech 1500 for example, (I have one) which I think is a similar principle being fully automated ?

I couldn’t watch the video for some reason

Hello, the cost from the AE site for my unit is $1600, but I bought an equipment bundle and got a bit better price due to that. So it appears that it is slightly cheaper than the Deltec unit you mention (though that unit looks really cool too). The deltec comes with a feed pump, so points there, but it looks like it has a bit less bombproof construction (acrylic vs PVC). I think both are likely terrific units.

Ohh helpful tidbit in case you do not know. The intake filter on your deltec unit is an OEM automotive fuel filter. They are cheap, I use them on my reactors too. Here's a link!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: This thread is intended to be an objective review of the features, performance, vulnerabilities, and experience of owning an Automatic Calcium Reactor by Aquarium Engineering. It is not a thread about the company, the owner, war stories, or what have you. Please join the conversation if you have comments, questions, or interest, and lets discuss this piece of reefing gear!

Ok, lets get started!

Aquarium Engineering ACR - Review and Walkthrough
Model Reviewed: June 2020 Stacked 8" ACR

IMG_4067.jpg
IMG_4307.jpg

I bought the unit because I like "different" reef gear, solid engineering concepts, and I dislike how my pH probe was always wandering out of calibration and getting fouled in my old Calcium Reactor. This unit seemed worth the money, whereas I must say some of the other saturation reactors are just insanely priced.

Here are pictures of it disassembled and one of it running. As you can see, it is a saturation reactor, which means, it maintains a bubble of CO2 at the top of the reactor, and recirculates this through the volume of the reactor, maintaining a low pH in the water, dissolving the media until a state of saturation is reached upon which time the CO2 stops being absorbed by the water. The alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, and trace element rich water is then dosed into the aquarium by the controller. That same controller also feeds more CO2 into the unit when the float valve in the lid says the CO2 bubble has been depleted.

In this fashion, the reactor runs with no pH probe to wander out of calibration or foul. It pushes water up through the two chambers, and then recirculates it with a sicce pump.

The reactor must be fed with a pump, and ideally from an area devoid of microbubbles.

IMG_3869.jpg
IMG_3868.jpg
IMG_4312.jpg

Here's a shot of the lid with the: Effluent out (left, clear), Purge line (middle, yellow), and CO2 recirc line (right, yellow). Also you can see the float switch cable (black).
IMG_4311.jpg

Here is a pic of the regulator that comes with the unit, you can see that it is feeding the reactor at about 8 or 9psi.
IMG_4310.jpg

Performance Review:

Construction is solid, parts are machined from PVC, the large tubes are clear PVC, and a lot of thought went into the design. Perhaps too much thought, because the units are constantly changing and being updated and improved.

The reactor is quiet during operation. In fact, the solenoids in the control module are the loudest part. Based on feedback in the facebook group, the control module is also the most failure prone portion in previous variants, though mine has been problem free.

Setup was straightforward using the instructions from AE, the unit does not come with instructions, or any assembly guidance at all, but the owner recently released a set of instructions online.

I am pleased to say that my unit was leak-free from the vendor, setup went exactly as planned, and it has been reliably churning out effluent for weeks now. Tomorrow when I get a chance I will test the reactor effluent alkalinity again, but it is very high as you would expect (30-40+dKh).

Media/Maintenance:

The suggested Magnesium media to go in the bottom chamber is remag (dolomite) and then reborn (coral skeletons) go in the top, larger, chamber. Although the new reborn (after the shutdown) is much smaller particles and seems more likely to clog and less prone to efficient water flow.

Basically, the unit then runs itself. Maintenance includes:

• Topping off media when it runs low
  • Checking effluent potency from time to time to ensure proper operation
  • Maybe changing effluent tubing in the control box? (unknown how long it lasts getting pinched)
  • Recirculation and Feed Pump maintenance

The Control Module and valve module:

Effluent delivery is controlled by a super simple “time on, time off” control box. The top button is the “time on” that the solenoid will open for, then the bottom button is the “time off” that the solenoid will close the effluent line for. Want more alkalinity? Increase time on, or reduce time off. Want less? Reduce time on, or increase time off.

IMG_4309.jpg

The CO2 bubble float switch is a simple conductivity switch, so your Apex could just as easily read it via a break-out box and control a Carbon Doser regulator to maintain the CO2 bubble in the unit, and the effluent could just as easily be metered with a Kamoer, Versa, or Masterflex peristaltic pump, but the stock system is working well so I have not had to enact “Plan B”.

Here is the inside of the valve module. On the left you can see the CO2 control portion, a check valve and a solenoid. Then on the right, the effluent control portion, a big old solenoid to pinch the effluent tube.

IMG_3866.jpg

Final Thoughts:

So in summary, thus far, I'd give the unit an 8.5 out of 10. Only docking it 1 point for not coming with any instructions (people shouldn't have to join a facebook group to get instructions), and 0.5 point for the loud effluent control box. My unit is in a fishroom, and I can still hear the "CLUNK" of the solenoid opening and closing as it causes a water hammer. I may try a less forceful feed pump and see if that helps the situation (currently using a dedicated small magdrive). That being said, if the unit is in your living room, you may not love the bubble noises and solenoid noises. However, the unit is very solid construction, and other than the pinch-hose in the effluent control, I don't see many wear items if any, so I would expect the unit to last ages. AE uses high quality O-rings, excellent attention to detail of all machined parts, and everything fits together very well. When one buys a boutique piece of equipment, created by a largely one-man show, there are certain issues that are worth mentioning. For example if you have problems, shipping issues, need parts, etc, you need to find the owner, which can be easy or hard depending on the day, but I will say, based on the ownership experience thus far, I would buy this unit again.
Good write up I like mine no trouble so far and easy to use.

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. No drama.

I will say that mine blew up. The controller filled with water and exploded all over my garage. Quality is there but not when there are no directions and when he doesn’t answer his phone to help. You have to have a specific regulator also which he doesn’t mention. I had plenty of issues including the water back feeding to the sump. Which he has no since developed a check valve that he charges his customers.

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to update folks, I just measured the ALK of my effluent. It was more than the Hanna checker could handle (naturally) which maxes out at 20 dKh. So I diluted it by half with RODI water, still maxed out. So I diluted it by half again (so 8ml of RODI and 2ml of effluent) and it read 13 dKh.

So if I am right, you double the measurement every time you half the concentration, so that would be double it twice, or multiply by 4.

So the effluent is 52 dKh! Safe to say, this thing could handle a significant ALK load, which I hope to have in coming months...

The other cool thing about a saturation reactor: Unlike a normal CARX where the effluent potency may vary depending on the reactor pH. The Saturation reactor (i believe as long as the CO2 bubble is pure CO2), will always have this effluent potency.

So just one knob to turn, and that is effluent delivery rate to satisfy your tank.

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure does and can. That’s how it almost nuked my tank cause it backfed. There is sadly no safety measures if it fails.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting. Im not even a customer of his, but had questions on some products including the acr. I emailed the company, a few hrs later bill answered my email and asked for me to call. The number was HIS cellphone and he answered on the second ring.

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure does and can. That’s how it almost nuked my tank cause it backfed. There is sadly no safety measures if it fails.

The unit is fed with a 1/4" RODI line. So one could put a check-valve on the feed line, which should prevent a back-siphon just in case. However, I don't think I would bother because:

It is also worth noting that since the system is closed, unless the unit opens (depressurizes), when powered-off it will not back siphon. Due to the closed system, a small amount of fluid may escape until residual pressure is diminished and then it will just sit as the system will not feed more CO2 due to check valve being unpowered and will not open the effluent line due to the effluent solenoid being unpowered.

Now, I don't want to sound like I am diminishing your experience @Derrick Picker, which sounds awful. I appreciate you sharing a potential risk and data point.

I am just stating objectively that to back siphon a large amount of effluent, the reactor must first explode, which appears to be a very rare occurrence and linked to abnormal setup (so that people don't think it is something to be concerned with in normal operation).

Any other ACR owners want to discuss their unit's performance/setup/quality/etc?

That is interesting. Im not even a customer of his, but had questions on some products including the acr. I emailed the company, a few hrs later bill answered my email and asked for me to call. The number was HIS cellphone and he answered on the second ring.

Thanks @Shooter6 for the data point but I would like this thread to stick to the merits (or demerits) of the ACR design and function, and not the nature of AE's customer service, be it positive or negative. Much appreciated all!

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so your own research before buying.

I realize your comments but it is extremely important that people know what they are getting into when they buy it.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine so far has been great took me a little while to get it right, had a few leaks at first most likely my fault. I also when I had the leaks kind on tightened the top on too tight and I had a time getting it unscrewed, but my fault again. I will try and get around to testing my effluent, I am sure it matches yours. This is by far the easiest reacto9r I have ever used . Again Nice right up.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had mine since Sep 6th. I have had my problems but it is running great now. I also had the back feed problem. I tried to put a check valve on but it didn't work. I was just reading on the Face Book group where another guy was having the back flow issue also and he tried to add a check valve with no success either. Bill chimed it and says he makes a special check valve that will work but I don't see it on his Website. He also says he makes a Auto purge unit that I can't find on the Website.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine since Sep 6th. I have had my problems but it is running great now. I also had the back feed problem. I tried to put a check valve on but it didn't work. I was just reading on the Face Book group where another guy was having the back flow issue also and he tried to add a check valve with no success either. Bill chimed it and says he makes a special check valve that will work but I don't see it on his Website. He also says he makes a Auto purge unit that I can't find on the Website.
I think Bill is a bit tied up with Trisha she just got out of the hospital and they are going to do surgery on her. Make a post on the ACR site on FB tell him you are interested in them. The website doesn't seem to get updated often. As for the back flow ot would be fairly easy to put a normally closed solinoid on the output from your reactor, so when power goes out it would close. Same if you were feeding ore maintenance. Good luck

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be a big advocate for this company . Owned many of his products . Not so much any more . At this time you are happy with the product . As stated by Derrick Picker not so much. I still get call's and e/mail on how to get his product's running properly . Others who have not received there products. Unfortunately when you make a post you will get good and bad reviews . Others might not have the same experience that you have . Not bashing you or the company .

Manny Tavan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine for over 6 months. Stability sucks compared to my 2 part dosing that I had before. The issue is that it needs to be purged often to maintain the low ph and high alk. Over 3-4 days my alk starts dropping and once I purge the unit the alk shoots up

not gonna order a auto purge module cause that’s gonna take 6+ month to get. Didnt get my reactor until I placed a paypal dispute.

Sadly, two weeks ago my controller failed and I’ve just been getting the run around the last two weeks. Lifetime warranty means nothing if you just get the run around like many other owners of ACR.

now I’m just going to order parts to fix the controller myself since I can’t get a replacement controller

finally, the back flow is a real issue and a 1/4” check valve won’t work

those are my 2cents on the product. I wish I never ordered it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back