Equipment suggestions for new build

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers

Started my tanks cycle and I’m sorta piecing out the tank as it cycles.

Tank is a prostar 150 4”2”2” tank. Stock sump

Atm I have 2 mp40s and 2 nero 3s for flow

2 xr15g5 pros (I have a third I just don’t think it’s necessary atm)

Aquavitro protein skimmer and 4 head aquavitro dosing pump

Tunze osmolator ato with a custom 15g acrylic top off tank.

My sump does not have enough room for a refugium nor do I have the patience for it. So I’m looking for suggestions on a

-algae turf scrubber or some other form of nutrient control (I hate seeing hair algae in the display! Would consider carbon dosing but have 0 experience with it

- uv sterilizer

Thank you in advance! And happy reefing!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably want the third XR15 if you get heavy into SPS. Either algae reactor or turf scrubber could work well. Are you considering a fleece roller? For UVs I'd probably look at a AquaUltraviolet Classic 25-watt.

OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably want the third XR15 if you get heavy into SPS. Either algae reactor or turf scrubber could work well. Are you considering a fleece roller? For UVs I'd probably look at a AquaUltraviolet Classic 25-watt.
I’d like one but obviously money is a factor.

I picked up filter media cups and just plan to change out my floss a few tomes a week. I’m already doing that with my 15g IM nano reef.

Id also like to not alter my sump in any way as I have no idea how and it all seems a bit daunting.

And yeah I have the 3rd light just need the arm but I won’t be getting too heavy into sps. I actually love lps and softies. My favorites are long polyp toadstools although my frog skin acropora has a special place in my heart (first ever coral and had no clue they were “difficult”)

I actually have a cheap Chinese uv sterilizer 36w but I don’t think it’ll last long enough. Same piece on my freshwater burned out after a year or so. ‍♂️

Do you have any recommendations on a turf scrubber or algae reactor?

OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze makes a nice algae reactor but I think it's overpriced. I'm thinking of building my own with a reactor body, Sicce Syncra pump and the Tunze algae light.
Thank you!

Do you have experience with a turf scrubber or algae reactor?

Basically I just absolutely hate hair algae and I want to see none in my display. I hate it so much. Lol

However I can achieve this would be boss.

In my 40b that I currently have running (nearing 1 yr mark) I have hair algae which I’m assuming was due to my skimmer pump dying. Brs has had the dang shark sicce pumps back ordered for 4 months. ‍♂️

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Do you have experience with a turf scrubber or algae reactor?

Basically I just absolutely hate hair algae and I want to see none in my display. I hate it so much. Lol

However I can achieve this would be boss.

In my 40b that I currently have running (nearing 1 yr mark) I have hair algae which I’m assuming was due to my skimmer pump dying. Brs has had the dang shark sicce pumps back ordered for 4 months. ‍♂️
Not really, no. Just something I'm toying around with the idea of. I've honestly never had issues with algae - but I also run a UV 24/7.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d like one but obviously money is a factor.

I picked up filter media cups and just plan to change out my floss a few tomes a week. I’m already doing that with my 15g IM nano reef.

Id also like to not alter my sump in any way as I have no idea how and it all seems a bit daunting.

And yeah I have the 3rd light just need the arm but I won’t be getting too heavy into sps. I actually love lps and softies. My favorites are long polyp toadstools although my frog skin acropora has a special place in my heart (first ever coral and had no clue they were “difficult”)

I actually have a cheap Chinese uv sterilizer 36w but I don’t think it’ll last long enough. Same piece on my freshwater burned out after a year or so. ‍♂️

Do you have any recommendations on a turf scrubber or algae reactor?

Do yourself a favor and buy a quality UV. Aqua Ultraviolet and pentair are good units as well as a few others. Buy a unit that is fairly oversized for your tank and you will be glad you have the extra wattage when/if disease breaks out or to control algae. Remember you will need at least 3X turnover and getting good turnover rates along with the needed slower flow to control disease with a UV is tricky without going to a larger unit. Getting the larger unit gives you this flexibility with flow plus a more powerful unit.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers

Started my tanks cycle and I’m sorta piecing out the tank as it cycles.

Tank is a prostar 150 4”2”2” tank. Stock sump

Atm I have 2 mp40s and 2 nero 3s for flow

2 xr15g5 pros (I have a third I just don’t think it’s necessary atm)

Aquavitro protein skimmer and 4 head aquavitro dosing pump

Tunze osmolator ato with a custom 15g acrylic top off tank.

My sump does not have enough room for a refugium nor do I have the patience for it. So I’m looking for suggestions on a

-algae turf scrubber or some other form of nutrient control (I hate seeing hair algae in the display! Would consider carbon dosing but have 0 experience with it

- uv sterilizer

Thank you in advance! And happy reefing!
Sounds like a good start!
I had the same size 120.
I ran a filter sock, skimmer, media reactor, and a carx.
Dosed 2 part from day one for a year.
You may fimd some usefull ino here.
Thread 'Standard 120 build thread' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/standard-120-build-thread.641602/

OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactor. It replaces alk and ca via a reactor, co2, and a dosing pump.
I see. I do have spare co2 tanks from my planted tanks. Pain in the butt to get right though and I’ve made mistakes that were catastrophic. I don’t think I’m equipped to do this lol

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I do have spare co2 tanks from my planted tanks. Pain in the butt to get right though and I’ve made mistakes that were catastrophic. I don’t think I’m equipped to do this lol
Its actually real simple but I get it.
I run co2 on my 15 planted.
20230729_160158.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back