Erythromycin dosing

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what I believe to be brown-jelly disease. It wreaked havoc on my tank. Most of the infection has stopped spreading, but I'm still seeing a slight spread in my large purple stylo colony. I just got in API EM Erythromycin and looking for dosing advice. Does anyone know mg/gal? SPS dominated tank.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved this so that more people would see it and have better answers since this is about corals. #reefsquad #lpsexperts

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what I believe to be brown-jelly disease. It wreaked havoc on my tank. Most of the infection has stopped spreading, but I'm still seeing a slight spread in my large purple stylo colony. I just got in API EM Erythromycin and looking for dosing advice. Does anyone know mg/gal? SPS dominated tank.
Did you get the one with the bags or the bulk powder with a scoop?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little packets. 200mg each.
I've been trying to find anywhere where it says how to use it for coral but haven't had much luck. I'll keep digging but here are the official directions if you don't have them.

Directions for Use (Packets): For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aerations. For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses. Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge. Treatment may be repeated if necessary.

OP
OP
McMullen

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to find anywhere where it says how to use it for coral but haven't had much luck. I'll keep digging but here are the official directions if you don't have them.

Directions for Use (Packets): For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aerations. For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses. Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge. Treatment may be repeated if necessary.

Thanks! General directions are on the box, I'm just nervous about the coral. I appreciate the help!!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On sps? Could you get a photo if you could, never seen brown jelly on sps but ive heard before. Hope it all clears up for you bud

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! General directions are on the box, I'm just nervous about the coral. I appreciate the help!!
Wish I could help more. I have done a lot of digging and can't find anyone who had success and also listed dosing directions.

One of the more interesting ones I found was to take 1 packet in 1 liter of water and use it for a dip for 1 minute. Not sure I would be brave enough to try it at that concentration... :confused:

OP
OP
McMullen

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I'll risk it!

I don't have a pic. It started on a mushroom on the back wall of my tank. When I noticed, the mushroom had spread to neighboring shrooms and were engulfed in brown jelly. The jelly, being stringy had already touched my stlophora. The stylo didn't get the brown jelly 'look.' Instead it looked like the coral slime coat and purple flesh were being lifted and peeled away rapidly. Luckily the stylo is, I'm guessing 8-9in by 9-10in. I was able to cut out most of the infection. It did spread to a UC equisita, but I saved a small frag of that as well. I thought once I cut out the infection this was over. Two days later a noticed the stylo was still losing flesh, just at a much slower rate and it had again spread to my neighboring apple berry monti. Luckily, I have not seen any more death in the last 2 days.

I think this was Brown Jelly because it started on a shroom and was so rapid you could almost see the rapid spread!

The only pic I could get now would be of dead coral.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't think I'll risk it!

I don't have a pic. It started on a mushroom on the back wall of my tank. When I noticed, the mushroom had spread to neighboring shrooms and were engulfed in brown jelly. The jelly, being stringy had already touched my stlophora. The stylo didn't get the brown jelly 'look.' Instead it looked like the coral slime coat and purple flesh were being lifted and peeled away rapidly. Luckily the stylo is, I'm guessing 8-9in by 9-10in. I was able to cut out most of the infection. It did spread to a UC equisita, but I saved a small frag of that as well. I thought once I cut out the infection this was over. Two days later a noticed the stylo was still losing flesh, just at a much slower rate and it had again spread to my neighboring apple berry monti. Luckily, I have not seen any more death in the last 2 days.

I think this was Brown Jelly because it started on a shroom and was so rapid you could almost see the rapid spread!

The only pic I could get now would be of dead coral.
Oh wow, well im sure you can get that under control If its spreading withen an area. Hopefully itll resolve soon!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people use erythromycin in the context of killing cyanobacteria (e.g., ChemiClean brand and other products) and do not generally report coral problems or any issues with nitrifying bacteria.

OP
OP
McMullen

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people use erythromycin in the context of killing cyanobacteria (e.g., ChemiClean brand and other products) and do not generally report coral problems or any issues with nitrifying bacteria.

Chemi clean is Erythromycin?! Good to know. I'll use that dosing and assume it's the same concentration of drug.

Maybe I'll half it just in case!
Thanks everyone!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemi clean is Erythromycin?! Good to know. I'll use that dosing and assume it's the same concentration of drug.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-526917.html

"Claude@Fauna Marin
19-01-12, 20:51
We had in germany a big scandal due to this and the product was analyzed by the veterany office of Hannover
and they showed that this product is erythromycine sulfate .. this is a antibiotics whic normaly only a doctor can give up
due to the usage in this case and this ammounts the possibilitly of unwanted resistance is very big"

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean is pretty deceptive this way. They state it contains no Erythromycin Succinate. While this is true it they just use a different blend of the active ingredient.

OP
OP
McMullen

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated today with one packet per about 10 gallons. Guessing of course with sump and rock displacement. Went ahead and used directions on the box. I'll change carbon and perform a water change Friday.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back