Eshoppes sumps

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for info on latest line of eshoppes sumps gimmick or worthwhile purchase/ Do NOT want to be sorry had both a trigger and bashsea sump LEAK in the last 2 years. Please tried and true experience only.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the current line of Eshopps sumps looks like, but I have the R-200 and love it. They don't make this line anymore but did have a similar line when I looked last year.
The design I have has a dedicated fuge that gets water straight from the first drain chamber, so all the nutrients are still there. The rest of the water flows through the drain chamber, to the sock(I replaced with a filter cup), then under the fuge to the skimmer section, and then to the return pump chamber. The fuge also flows to the return chamber.
The things I like: dedicated fuge with low flow and nutrient rich water; big skimmer chamber.
Things I dislike: very small return pump section - somewhat limits your choice of pump; return chamber is behind the fuge, which makes maintenance somewhat inconvenient, especially if you have a short stand.

But, I like it enough that I bought a used r-300 for my upcoming new build.

Edit: it looks like the AR-200 is the current version of my sump. I hope my review helps.

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the current line of Eshopps sumps looks like, but I have the R-200 and love it. They don't make this line anymore but did have a similar line when I looked last year.
The design I have has a dedicated fuge that gets water straight from the first drain chamber, so all the nutrients are still there. The rest of the water flows through the drain chamber, to the sock(I replaced with a filter cup), then under the fuge to the skimmer section, and then to the return pump chamber. The fuge also flows to the return chamber.
The things I like: dedicated fuge with low flow and nutrient rich water; big skimmer chamber.
Things I dislike: very small return pump section - somewhat limits your choice of pump; return chamber is behind the fuge, which makes maintenance somewhat inconvenient, especially if you have a short stand.

Edit: it looks like the AR-200 is the current version of my sump. I hope my review helps.

Cheers!
thanks

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running the AF-100 since August with my 75 gal. I have been happy with it except the filter sock is in the back center and a bit tricky to reach, especially around the chaeto light directly in front of it. The flow in the fuge is not great. I could wish for more covers to contain odor and slow down evaporation. Only the filter sock chamber is covered, and the drain pipe doesn’t feed directly into the sock. A baffle directs some water in, and some around the sock.

The chambers are pretty good size; first chamber holds a simmer and reactor, fuge is decent size. It has probe holders and an ATO float built in.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the AF-200 on my 90-gallon and am very happy with it. The AF-100 and AF-200 are the same dimensions except for the length. The AF-200 is 6" longer. There is plenty of room for accessories. I have an eshopps S-200 skimmer and a carbon media reactor in the skimmer section. It holds my Neptune probes nicely. I like how they designed the water flow thru the sump; it seems efficient given the four sections it feeds (inlet section, skimmer section, refugium section, return pump section). I am running an Apex GRO refugium LED light which seems like a perfect fit for the refugium area.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the AF-200 on my 90-gallon and am very happy with it. The AF-100 and AF-200 are the same dimensions except for the length. The AF-200 is 6" longer. There is plenty of room for accessories. I have an eshopps S-200 skimmer and a carbon media reactor in the skimmer section. It holds my Neptune probes nicely. I like how they designed the water flow thru the sump; it seems efficient given the four sections it feeds (inlet section, skimmer section, refugium section, return pump section). I am running an Apex GRO refugium LED light which seems like a perfect fit for the refugium area.
Thanks

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers!
I've had the same sump for nearly 3 years - without issue. And I agree with every statement made about it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back