Eshopps Eclipse M or the new Prodigy M or L for my new 75g ?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eclipse M is fine. I was making a fix for it but got it quiet enough I never put it on.
$200 for an overflow for a 75 is too much for me.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned acrylic Eshopps gear, a sump and a returned overflow box, I can say that the build quality of Modular Marine is superior in comparison. In this case, the old adage definitely holds true... you get what you pay for. So buy once and cry once! :)

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digging into it it looks like the prodigy has something of a eurobrace frame to support the lid.

unnamed-2-1320x1760.jpg
On a framed 75 how would you clean the inside of that front box.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned acrylic Eshopps gear, a sump and a returned overflow box, I can say that the build quality of Modular Marone is superior in comparison. In this case, the old adage definitely holds true... you get what you pay for. So buy once and cry once! :)
I dont cry. I make it work.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2" eurobrace on my tank with the eclipse now. I clean it with a bottle brush through the back holes.
Yes, I can clean my Eclipse box. I meant the narrow one on the Prodigy.

I cut an u shaped piece of plastic canvas and dropped it into the front box upside down. It gave the water something to run down and quieted it a lot. The bulkhead is in the center of the U so it doesn't get blocked when algae grows on it. I do clean it very infrequently. I have room to get it in and out.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all sizes of the Eclipse overflows and always had issues making them quiet without reducing the flow WAAAAY down. High flow just caused a lot of loud splashing as the water went through the weir. I think this is a product of the external box being so much lower than the internal box. I just set up a 75 and went with the Exotic Marine Systems 32" overflow and am SOOOOO glad I did. This thing is amazing! I know it is 2x the cost, but I can crank the flow and it is DEAD silent. I also like the that weir goes almost all the way across the tank.

The Eshopps overflows get the job done, but they are still a budget overflow and lacking some of the build quality and advantages of the higher end overflows.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The modular marine overflows have a slim skim box also. I had my tank builder route an opening in the eurobrace above the box so it can be accessed. Newer versions have a removable skim box. Otherwise the slim skim box won’t work with eurobraces.

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen negative comments in a number of threads about the overflow box being lower than the weir. The basis seems to be that they are noisier this way.

I'm just trying to understand the analysis.

My understanding is the overflow is the primary source of oxygenation in most tanks. My understanding is that the overflows are designed below the weir for this reason. There may be other reasons, such as experiments with the designs showing that without the drop down, you don't get effective surface tension skimming (I saw something to this effect but haven't been able to relocate where I saw that).

In any case, the lower overflow box design is very deliberate as I understand it. The overflow boxes were designed this way for reasons. The criticisms don't seem to give any nod to this aspect of their design.

Can anyone comment more on this. I'm simply trying to make an informed purchasing decision.

Last edited:

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying to understand the analysis.
It's not about any analysis really, it's about 1st hand experience where if the water level in the external overflow is too low, the cascading water in the weir side is much too noisy. I have my secondary line (and as a result my water level in the external and internal box) jacked up higher than I like to quiet it down. If the external box was maybe 1cm higher, no one would complain, and there would be just enough cascading for oxygenation.

The level of noise it makes when not tuned to run quieter isn't acceptable in a living space.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I can clean my Eclipse box. I meant the narrow one on the Prodigy.

I cut an u shaped piece of plastic canvas and dropped it into the front box upside down. It gave the water something to run down and quieted it a lot. The bulkhead is in the center of the U so it doesn't get blocked when algae grows on it. I do clean it very infrequently. I have room to get it in and out.

Good tip @WVNed!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have NEVER looked at the water cascading over the weir as a primary form of oxygenation in my tank. As a matter of fact, I never considered it a source at all. My return, filter socks, cascading within the sump, wave makers, etc., are all bigger oxygenators than the weir. If you run a skimmer, it will hands down be the biggest source of oxygenation in your system.

My new Exotic Marine Systems overflow has an external box that is level with the internal box and I can tell you it is SILENT and there is no issue with ineffective "surface tension skimming".

As I stated earlier, the Eshopps overflows work, but they are the noisiest option IME.

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the replies.

Hmmm... the question still remains in my mind: given some of the complaints that some people have, why do some product makers keep with the below weir external box design?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the replies.

Hmmm... the question still remains in my mind: given some of the complaints that some people have, why do some product makers keep with the below weir external box design?
I think a lot started that way in order to allow installation on a rimmed tank. The higher quality kits available now have changed their designs to go over the rim on tanks. MM has put a notch on the top of the external box to fit over the rim, while EMS now includes acrylic spacers.

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MM says: "All the other designs on the market have an exterior box that is mounted well below the skimmer box so if you shut the drain valves the exterior box will overflow."

Is that necessarily true (will overflow)?

With a bean animal (herbie too), I thought best practice is NOT to put a drain valve on the emergency drain, for example. So that would always be there to drain before the box overflows, else you haven't designed and tested your emergency correctly, as I understand it.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow there's some brilliant insight right there. 'Close the drain and it overflows!'.

Oh. M. Gee...

With a closed drain the tank is going to overflow regardless. What magical Jedi like overflow is going to stop a tank overflowing with closed drains?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow there's some brilliant insight right there. 'Close the drain and it overflows!'.

Oh. M. Gee...

With a closed drain the tank is going to overflow regardless. What magical Jedi like overflow is going to stop a tank overflowing with closed drains?

Am I misunderstanding your humor? :)

With closed drains a tank will NOT overflow, and it's not Jedi magic, if it's a two or three drain system where one drain is the emergency drain and that was setup correctly (per Herbie and Bean Animal). For example: https://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/:
" Don’t install a valve on the emergency pipe — just don’t…no good can come of it."

And that is clearly sound engineering advice. Which if followed, means you can close your siphon and your vented drain valve (if you have one), and the external box will not overflow.

As part of pre-purchase, I'm trying to assess these designs, and frankly, I'm seeing (for example) misleading claims from one manufacturer (MM). Either MM is basically scaring people into not buying other products, or, they don't understand drain design- which tells me something about their design ability I guess (or their marketing scruples?). It makes a bad impression, I can't speak to their product but that's a first impression of MM.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that with a properly set up herbie or bean animal, there should be little to NO risk of overflow regardless of the external box position. I can say, from experience, that the overflow being level with the internal weir box makes for a MUCH quieter system regardless of how much flow you push through it.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all the mental gymnastics you want, then read real peoples’ first hand experience with those style overflow boxes where the external box is lower than the weir box...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back