Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Tank: 20 gallon
Sump: 20 gallon
Overflow: Eclipse S Overflow Box (600 gph). 1 inch slip main + 1 inch slip emergency.
Return Pump: Vectra S2 - 1,400 gph

My understanding is that the herbie plumbing method is the best here?
  1. Should I replace the emergency red pipe with something a lil taller a bit to overflow ( 1/2" from the wier?)
  2. Gate valve on main drain ? + NO valve on emergency drain line needed ? Or should I put something?
  3. Does strainer type on main drain affect anything? Which one should I get?
  4. Ball union valve on the return pump?
  5. What size is the bulkhead from the overflow to external box? I would like to replace this first and foremost with something of quality. I've read mixed things w/ the stock bulkhead.
  6. Any pic / diagram is appreciated.
1f14b42de3e4099f4ebe9afea87e9b4b.jpg

Thank you.

Last edited:

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the medium size of this and can answer a couple question based off mine.
Question 1: No, the red pipe does exactly what it is intended to do at its height
2. Yes, it will vastly improve how quiet the drain system is. Mine is completely silent. I let the over flow in the eclipse stay about half full with adjustment of my gate valve and if I close it just a bit too much the emergency overflow works perfectly every time.
3. I do not use a strainer. I made a little durso style drain for mine. It slows the incoming water turbulence to make it quieter. It is not in the picture but I added it later and can send that if you like.
4. I did not but i did put a one way check valve in line to prevent back flow. just easier and one less thing to forget.
5. The stock bulkhead works just fine. It is of the same quality as any others I have used. Make sure you read the directions! I mis-read the seal stake up on mine and it leaked when I first filled it. Have never had one issue since.
IMG_20190520_160655.jpg

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just another note. Make sure you put the overflow on the inside of the tank just as high as it will possibly go against the frame of the tank or edge. I (for some reason I dont know why) put it about a 1/2" below and could see a water line in my tank once it was filled. I ended up making a little piece to stick in the overflow vents to raise the water level that 1/2" but this was purely my stupid mistake and not the products fault.

OP
OP
E

EmperorVtec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the medium size of this and can answer a couple question based off mine.
Question 1: No, the red pipe does exactly what it is intended to do at its height
2. Yes, it will vastly improve how quiet the drain system is. Mine is completely silent. I let the over flow in the eclipse stay about half full with adjustment of my gate valve and if I close it just a bit too much the emergency overflow works perfectly every time.
3. I do not use a strainer. I made a little durso style drain for mine. It slows the incoming water turbulence to make it quieter. It is not in the picture but I added it later and can send that if you like.
4. I did not but i did put a one way check valve in line to prevent back flow. just easier and one less thing to forget.
5. The stock bulkhead works just fine. It is of the same quality as any others I have used. Make sure you read the directions! I mis-read the seal stake up on mine and it leaked when I first filled it. Have never had one issue since.
IMG_20190520_160655.jpg
Hi,

Thank you. Yes, pictures of the overflow box and approximation as to where the water line is will help. The more the better. Granted the S sized box is a lot smaller, so not sure what mods I can do to the main drain.

I‘ll re-read your replies in depth a little later, but wanted to catch you soon on the pic request.

I worry a bit about the return being a lil too strong, and I would actually like to avoid Tee-ing off. I read that these pumps are controllable?

Does this mean, I can lower the output on the pump and then use the ball valve on return to tweak?

Thank you sir.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your pump being controllable if it is a DC controllable pump then yes. If it is not a controllable pump you could put a small ball valve on it just incase. What pump do you have and how high is the tank going to be over your sump? Having a ball valve on your return and a gate valve on the overflow will probably just overly complicate your situation needlessly.
To be able to answer your questions I'll need more details.
1. Tank height above the sump?
2. What pump do you have?
3. What is the return pipe diameter?
4. The over flow pipe diameter is 1". You are not changing that correct?

Also, use a TRUE screw type gate valve on the overflow. This picture you posted shows what looks like to be a ball valve. You would never be able to properly dial in the flow rate with a ball valve on the overflow down pipe.

Last edited:

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Eclipse Overflow Box as well it's been running on my system for 2 years. Put a spears gate valve on the main drain for tuning the herbie drain, leave the emergency drain unrestricted and keep the red pipe the stock height as it works perfect. I did put a small slip type strainer on the main drain that I got from BRS, and pop it out and clean it every week or two. The stock size bulkhead between the box and tank is 1.5" and is perfectly fine, I would not advise messing with it. Be sure to put the two gaskets included between the outside of the tank and the outside overflow box "doubled up" on one another, sounds weird I know but this is what eshopps recommends and is what I run completely leak free. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

OP
OP
E

EmperorVtec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your pump being controllable if it is a DC controllable pump then yes. If it is not a controllable pump you could put a small ball valve on it just incase. What pump do you have and how high is the tank going to be over your sump? Having a ball valve on your return and a gate valve on the overflow will probably just overly complicate your situation needlessly.
To be able to answer your questions I'll need more details.
1. Tank height above the sump?
2. What pump do you have?
3. What is the return pipe diameter?
4. The over flow pipe diameter is 1". You are not changing that correct?

Also, use a TRUE screw type gate valve on the overflow. This picture you posted shows what looks like to be a ball valve. You would never be able to properly dial in the flow rate with a ball valve on the overflow down pipe.
Hi,

1 - Roughly 4 feet from sump pump into top of display.
2 - Looking at Ecotech Vectra S2, 1400 gph.
3 - Output shows 0.75 inches. I guess my return would be 3/4 PVC fittings.
4 - Yes, 1 inch drains on the Eclipse S. Will keep it at that.

OP
OP
E

EmperorVtec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Eclipse Overflow Box as well it's been running on my system for 2 years. Put a spears gate valve on the main drain for tuning the herbie drain, leave the emergency drain unrestricted and keep the red pipe the stock height as it works perfect. I did put a small slip type strainer on the main drain that I got from BRS, and pop it out and clean it every week or two. The stock size bulkhead between the box and tank is 1.5" and is perfectly fine, I would not advise messing with it. Be sure to put the two gaskets included between the outside of the tank and the outside overflow box "doubled up" on one another, sounds weird I know but this is what eshopps recommends and is what I run completely leak free. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

I should be getting my box soon, but I have read different gasket setups with these boxes. lol.

And I have seen how the vid they did differs from the instructions?

I‘ll get a better understanding once it arrives. By chance do you have a picture of the water level and overflow box? That way I can approximate what water level to achieve.

Thank you for your help as well!

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be getting my box soon, but I have read different gasket setups with these boxes. lol.

I‘ll get a better understanding once it arrives. By chance do you have a picture of the water level and overflow box? That way I can approximate what water level to achieve.

I will be able to get you a picture this evening of the overflow box when I get home. I'll get a few to help you understand how I plumbed mine all together as well as a mistake I made you will be able to prevent.
My first thought is
1. That pump is a bit too big at its rating of 1,400gph but you can turn it down so it will be okay.
2. 4 feet high is not going to limit your head pressure on the pump so dont worry about how high it is
3. Maintain 3/4 fittings to allow the flow rate to be maximized by the least restrictions but control it with the controller itself. Do not put a ball valve on the return line. Put a back flow preventer though if you like to prevent from syphoning any water from the tank down into the sump. I did this and like the way it worked out.
4. 1" drains is good. On the emergency overflow run it directly to the pump chamber by passing the filter system all together (This is my technique and not everyone does this). Do not bring in or "T" your normal drain and emergency drain at all. They are both to be completely independent of each other.

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Video on Yourube by them showing the gasket install is incorrect I installed it that way first and it leaked badly. Your going to want to install the internal box all the way up as you can till it nearly hits the tank rim.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Video on Yourube by them showing the gasket install is incorrect I installed it that way first and it leaked badly. Your going to want to install the internal box all the way up as you can till it nearly hits the tank rim.
Yes, exactly as Nick is saying. This is where I had to make my own piece to get the water level higher. Mount the internal box up as high as you can up to the lip of the glass

OP
OP
E

EmperorVtec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Just wanted to bump this, and if you folks could share pictures. Thanks folks.

OP
OP
E

EmperorVtec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Any more pictures and or suggestion on this?
Eshopss came out w/ their new prodigy overflow box?

Thanks

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as im in the process of setting up a sump and buying the small version on this box as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back