ESHOPPS Mariner 70 Build

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
FTS for the demanders! (I'm looking at you @rmorris_14 )
IMG_20240219_090244239.jpg

Lights are still waking up.

I added the two shelves last night. Also, there's more sand. I need to smooth out the sand somewhat as I added it mostly after dark and it clouded the water just enough to make it difficult to see.

I'm thinking one more rock shelf. I'll probably make a hanger to go across the middle there and then possibly one or two more small sand racks for Blastos and Micromussas.

Not including the 12 hole Aquarock and the 1 hole Aquarock racks, plus the ESHOPPS and the Amazon frag racks, I have space for 26 frag plugs on the rocks. Everything from partially shaded to medium light to full PAR.

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took the mesh off. I only have RFA's and they haven't moved in a year. I aint sc'rd
So far my BTAs haven't left the top of Nem island. Knock on forehead. I think it's because of the rock having nice footings. Old Fiji branching coral skeletons.
PXL_20231222_004206018.jpg

Last edited:

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS for the demanders! (I'm looking at you @rmorris_14 )
IMG_20240219_090244239.jpg

Lights are still waking up.

I added the two shelves last night. Also, there's more sand. I need to smooth out the sand somewhat as I added it mostly after dark and it clouded the water just enough to make it difficult to see.

I'm thinking one more rock shelf. I'll probably make a hanger to go across the middle there and then possibly one or two more small sand racks for Blastos and Micromussas.

Not including the 12 hole Aquarock and the 1 hole Aquarock racks, plus the ESHOPPS and the Amazon frag racks, I have space for 26 frag plugs on the rocks. Everything from partially shaded to medium light to full PAR.
That’s actually a fair amount of coral real estate!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my BTAs haven't left the top of Nem island. Knock on forehead. I think it's because of the rock having nice footings. Old Fiji branching coral skeletons.
PXL_20231222_004206018.jpg
same with my rfas. ones in the sand 5 feet away from the gyre, the other is buried in a rock facing it. perfect place to get food blown right at it during feeding.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same with my rfas. ones in the sand 5 feet away from the gyre, the other is buried in a rock facing it. perfect place to get food blown right at it during feeding.

Hmmm, my two RFA’s and the Nexus Joker that split all settled on top of rock scape on both sides of tank - about the 7 inches away from gyres. Was totally clueless when I placed them in tank! Was focused on - ohhh, where is the best place for ME to enjoy them with clowns hosting!

Embarrassed- cause I spend hours researching and learning when it’s time to take an action within my tank and now I’ve got 4 nems who love their spot and with a newbie tank, might not like my parameters one day and go for a dangerous float around the tank. This newb will keep some kind of guards on for now.

Appreciate everyone’s advice and best practices!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, my two RFA’s and the Nexus Joker that split all settled on top of rock scape on both sides of tank - about the 7 inches away from gyres. Was totally clueless when I placed them in tank! Was focused on - ohhh, where is the best place for ME to enjoy them with clowns hosting!

Embarrassed- cause I spend hours researching and learning when it’s time to take an action within my tank and now I’ve got 4 nems who love their spot and with a newbie tank, might not like my parameters one day and go for a dangerous float around the tank. This newb will keep some kind of guards on for now.

Appreciate everyone’s advice and best practices!
had one walk around a little, never really happy till it found a nice quiet, dark hole to climb into and fade away.

not sure my experience counts as "best" practice though. maybe not even practice

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My RFA disappeared for 3 weeks when I first got it. It popped up, found a spot touching my Vivid Riddlers Chalice and hasn't moved since. I guess he likes hosting the chalice?

My Joker on the other hand... That thing popped down right where I put it. Stayed there for two months, then traveled all around the tank choosing a different spot every night. After 2 months of that, it ended up about 2" above where it started... Now there's 5 or 6 and they all seem to like that spot. I think they're trying to decide if they want to split again though... 1 or 2 are behind the rock again today.

IMG_20240219_104949162.jpg

No telling what's going to happen when everything gets moved over to this tank though.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, in ESHOPPS news, the ATO is setup and running. I printed some skinnier clips for the front glass last night so the lid sits a little better now.

Today's possible agenda: trim a little more off the lid, cut an access door (already printed clips/hangers), design and print a cover for the Plank port, design and print a lid lip to cover the gap between the overflow and the lid, design and print some covers for the gap between the lights and lid.

Also also, I'm going to clean the new Betta house and get that set up for the Green/White/Red girl.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unless I went to Petco and bought a baby boy...? Pictures in a bit. He's either a Mustard Gas or a Paradise male. Not sure which but I'm thinking Mustard Gas. Hopefully him and the Mustard Gas female make some babies later!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is that the mustard gas? He is very Architectural Digest sophisticated in his coloring! Love
His colors are washed out a lot right now in the light I have him in. His body is a dark blue (pale now because he is in a new environment) and his fins are a golden tan with blue veins and blue trim.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His colors are washed out a lot right now in the light I have him in. His body is a dark blue (pale now because he is in a new environment) and his fins are a golden tan with blue veins and blue trim.
That sounds incredible- look forward to future pics once he’s settled

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow, I've been slacking on this thread!

Uglies are almost over. Current stock is 4 Red Leg hermits, 5 Coralline Margarita snails, and 2 Trochus snails. I need some Ceriths and maybe a Nassarius or two to start the sand bed cleaning.

I'm considering breaking a chunk of Slimeball or Red Digitata and "testing the waters" after I test the water. If alk and stuff look good, I'll move something that I've got plenty of over.

I added some dry sand and most of the rock was dry so I'm going to have to start adding phosphates to get everything where it needs to be. Likely the Pink Cadillac (and Acroberry and Black Panther if they survive... Still got some color so I'm hopeful) will be the last coral I move.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Today's possible agenda: trim a little more off the lid, cut an access door (already printed clips/hangers), design and print a cover for the Plank port, design and print a lid lip to cover the gap between the overflow and the lid, design and print some covers for the gap between the lights and lid.
Access done - Done!
Light bracket gap cover - 1/2 Done! One broke removing it from the print bed, so I lowered it some and will reprint that one.
Overflow and lid gap is now non-existent so - Done!

Currently printing a towel hook for my Betta towel from @MrsBugmaster . It's going to hang right below the Bettas.

Also, lights for the Bettas are ordered.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back