Eshopps overflow noise

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I won an Eshopps Eclipse L in a raffle and I have am planning my tank upgrade to a 36"x18"x18" rimless tank. I initially was super excited since I was thinking of selling the overflow, and just buying the Small or Medium for my size of tank. But I started seeing that a lot of people have issues with the overflow with noise. Most people are able to silence gurgling noises from the external part, but a lot of people still have annoying water trickling noise.
This worries me a lot since others in my house will not be too happy about that. Is there to fix that? Some recommend using a sponge, but I know that is super risky.
Would a filter aquamesh thing work like this work? since it is not nearly as porous and will mostly help quiet the noise of water?
Lifegard Aquatics AquaMesh Filter Media-Blue-19.5 x 24 filtration for koi  pond 788379311261 | eBay

Any other tips/suggestions and experiences are welcome :)
Thanks

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I won an Eshopps Eclipse L in a raffle and I have am planning my tank upgrade to a 36"x18"x18" rimless tank. I initially was super excited since I was thinking of selling the overflow, and just buying the Small or Medium for my size of tank. But I started seeing that a lot of people have issues with the overflow with noise. Most people are able to silence gurgling noises from the external part, but a lot of people still have annoying water trickling noise.
This worries me a lot since others in my house will not be too happy about that. Is there to fix that? Some recommend using a sponge, but I know that is super risky.
Would a filter aquamesh thing work like this work? since it is not nearly as porous and will mostly help quiet the noise of water?
Lifegard Aquatics AquaMesh Filter Media-Blue-19.5 x 24 filtration for koi  pond 788379311261 | eBay

Any other tips/suggestions and experiences are welcome :)
Thanks

I’ve had a few of these. Never had a problem. Can you post a pic of yours?

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the HOB version of the Eshopss overflows so it might be different, but now that I have the flow rate dialed in on mine, it is basically silent. The only noise I get is from the drainpipe.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. I chucked those filters in the overflow; the box is clear, pretty easy to see what's in it (if anything) and I also don't have anything that would clog it... I don't quite remember but I don't think I could get it as quiet with the filter either so it went

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few of these. Never had a problem. Can you post a pic of yours?
Well, I have not installed it yet. I just want to make sure I do it right or know ways that I can make sure it stays quiet.
I have the Eshopps Eclipse large version.
1666223194534.png

Not sure if that is overkill/unnecessary since it will take up more space in my display.
And I may just sell it and get the small or medium if that will work just as good.

My tank is a Landen 36" x 18" x 18". It annoys me because I have not seen a consistent gallon size for the tank. I have seen anywhere from 40 to 48 gallons.
The glass is 1 cm thick, and I have never drilled a tank so it is a bit intimidating, and I want to make sure there are ways to keep it quiet before pulling the trigger.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the hob. I had to insert an arm's length of airline tubing into drain pipe to stop gurgling and its now pretty much silent.
Got it. The only thing is with the drilled one there is often a water trickle sound since the water drops down in the internal part of the box, which some people have problems with. (This is all what I have heard though from my research)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have not installed it yet. I just want to make sure I do it right or know ways that I can make sure it stays quiet.
I have the Eshopps Eclipse large version.
1666223194534.png

Not sure if that is overkill/unnecessary since it will take up more space in my display.
And I may just sell it and get the small or medium if that will work just as good.

My tank is a Landen 36" x 18" x 18". It annoys me because I have not seen a consistent gallon size for the tank. I have seen anywhere from 40 to 48 gallons.
The glass is 1 cm thick, and I have never drilled a tank so it is a bit intimidating, and I want to make sure there are ways to keep it quiet before pulling the trigger.

A few for idea’s:

This first tank is a Landon with same overflow.

5312D2F4-2F86-4A8B-847C-40B5667F7FAE.jpeg
8A680727-2C75-4A1A-BD72-142B882ADB22.jpeg
0A6F852E-4C46-4A29-AD98-1585DD698FA7.jpeg
F69EDC05-97E6-4EDF-A86E-EE2CD50D5264.jpeg

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few for idea’s:

This first tank is a Landon with same overflow.

5312D2F4-2F86-4A8B-847C-40B5667F7FAE.jpeg
8A680727-2C75-4A1A-BD72-142B882ADB22.jpeg
0A6F852E-4C46-4A29-AD98-1585DD698FA7.jpeg
F69EDC05-97E6-4EDF-A86E-EE2CD50D5264.jpeg
Thanks!
Would I be able to connect the drains though into one (after the valves)? Or does that sort of mess with the purpose of having the Large overflow and using this method?
Hopefully that makes sense.
Also should I use the same drill bit that comes with the Eshopps Kit and drill where the returns will go?
Sorry I am super new to this, and want to simplify things if possible.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Would I be able to connect the drains though into one (after the valves)? Or does that sort of mess with the purpose of having the Large overflow and using this method?
Hopefully that makes sense.
Also should I use the same drill bit that comes with the Eshopps Kit and drill where the returns will go?
Sorry I am super new to this, and want to simplify things if possible.

Avoid making the drains merge into one single drain. Each drain has a specific purpose.

This is the best read ever. I read this almost 15 years ago and have been running the bean animal overflow ever since. Most reefers do. Article below:

Regarding the Diamond drill bit. You will use that to drill for your Eshopps overflow box. Your returns are typically smaller than your drains. With your 50/G system I recommend 1” drains and 1/2” returns. Not sure what size the drains are on your overflow. I’m assuming maybe 3/4”-1”. Hopefully they did 1”. You can do 1/2” returns. You can find the bulkheads on BRS and if you read carefully it will also tell you what size diamond drill bit fits their ABS bulkheads. Easiest way to get it right. :)

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid making the drains merge into one single drain. Each drain has a specific purpose.

This is the best read ever. I read this almost 15 years ago and have been running the bean animal overflow ever since. Most reefers do. Article below:

Regarding the Diamond drill bit. You will use that to drill for your Eshopps overflow box. Your returns are typically smaller than your drains. With your 50/G system I recommend 1” drains and 1/2” returns. Not sure what size the drains are on your overflow. I’m assuming maybe 3/4”-1”. Hopefully they did 1”. You can do 1/2” returns. You can find the bulkheads on BRS and if you read carefully it will also tell you what size diamond drill bit fits their ABS bulkheads. Easiest way to get it right. :)
Oh ok. Thanks! Yeah, so the Large seems like it is the way to go in order to do the bean animal way. And yeah I figured it may not work to have the returns be the same size.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Thanks! Yeah, so the Large seems like it is the way to go in order to do the bean animal way. And yeah I figured it may not work to have the returns be the same size.

You can use any size pipe you want, but typically the bigger the drains and overflow box the more GPH. For me I try to go with bigger drains because snails, algae, etc can clog drains over time. The bigger the better IMO as long as it’s not too too big. Like I would put 2” drains on that 50/G, but I’d put 1, 1.25, or 1.5” no problem. A bigger longer overflow box allows for more surface skimming. Look up “coast to coast overflow.” IMO, having large area for surface skimming is great for a healthy tank.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use any size pipe you want, but typically the bigger the drains and overflow box the more GPH. For me I try to go with bigger drains because snails, algae, etc can clog drains over time. The bigger the better IMO as long as it’s not too too big. Like I would put 2” drains on that 50/G, but I’d put 1, 1.25, or 1.5” no problem. A bigger longer overflow box allows for more surface skimming. Look up “coast to coast overflow.” IMO, having large area for surface skimming is great for a healthy tank.
Ok, yeah that makes a lot of sense! Thanks so much for the info! Yeah I feel if I continue with this build I’ll definitely do that. Currently I’m figuring out what stand to get, but of course stands can super expensive and there aren’t many used stands that fit the dimensions (or they come with a tank as well).
the stand also has to look nice to to appeal to my family.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back